RP Apple Pie

Sweetheart.Her blush turned furious and crept down her neck. She quickly looked away. Her shoulders went up a bit as she looked away, a shy gesture as she receded a bit. “I, uhm. I don’t, uh.”

She hadn’t stammered since she was a child. She’d had a rough time as a child with ADHD, with the stammering and the inability to sit still, the difficulty controlling her powers. She had grown out of almost all of that as she had gotten older. Or rather, she was given good tools for handling it. The vigilante stuff had been better for her restlessness than anything else ever had been. Her parents had taught her well on the subject of self-control.

But the stammering? That she had grown out of naturally, or so she thought.

She took a second to breathe, and then she looked back up at him. She could either come up with a question on the spot, or she could give him the truth. Maybe because she had always known when people were lying to her, Sam hated lying. So she chose the truth.

“I do like, uhm. I. Yes. I do like what I see. But you also make me really nervous. I’m sorry. I should let you go. Uhm, I need to talk to these officers anyway.”

They reached the head of the trail, and just off to the right, hidden by the tree line, was a full crime scene team, waiting. They had already gone to take their photos, but several were still suited up and looked ready to work. They looked in Oscar and Sam’s direction and she gave them a wave, one that said she was done with the scene. The four of them began to collect their gear and their bags.

She looked back up at the man, and after a brief hesitation, she extended her hand. “It was nice to meet you, uh, Oscar. Stay safe.”

His smile didn’t falter or change this time. She stammered, and she liked what she saw. And he made her nervous. How interesting. He, tall, unarmed except for a camera, dressed for the outdoors, scared her, in her vigilante costume and armed with a hammer and around whom the air stank of fury. He with his angled features scared her and her deceptive cuteness.

And still she reached her hand out, bridged the space between them. He reached back and took her glove in his. He held her hand firmly, bounced her hand once, professionally, then released. His smile turned to a warm grin, but his eyes were a little clearer, a little steadier.

“It’s been my pleasure, Wildcat. I’ll try to be less… intimidating? Next time. I don’t like making people nervous. Have a nice day.”

He then waved to the officers at the treeline, and turned to walk down the road.

“Hey, Sam, girl, there’s some stranger asking about you. I think he has a crush on you, and even though I didn’t tell him anything, I think everyone else has. His name is Oscar. Have you met him already?”

Honestly, that had been what had set her off. For the next week, Sam followed the car with the Wisconsin plates. She was being as subtle as she could be, or at least, had been. Keeping around corners, never quite getting close enough to be seen. She had discovered several things during her time following him.

The first thing she learned was the places he frequented. He was staying at the Holiday Inn in Obetz. That wasn’t far from Lockbourne– it was the next closest township heading north into Columbus. He liked to visit nature trails. In fact, he did that a lot more than she had been expecting, and always with that camera of his. She quickly found out that it was because he took wildlife photos, but that was for later. The final place he visited with regularity was the local paper’s office. The Columbus Messanger was a newspaper she was familiar with. They were just north enough to be able to receive the paper in Lockbourne. In addition, he seemed to spend a good amount of time at the local library. She wondered just what he was looking into.

The second thing she found out was about his habits. The wildlife photography was one, for sure, but she had also learned he ate out once a day, always somewhere different. He seemed to prefer local small businesses to chain restaurants. He also had the habit of talking to anyone who started a conversation with him. He seemed friendly. People liked him.

The third thing she noticed, although she wasn’t sure how relevant the information was, was that he preferred to work on his car himself. She’d been following him from high up and had seen it when his brake light went out. Instead of taking his car to a shop, he went to the local auto shop and replaced the bulb for it himself, right in the parking lot. That told her he was both good with his hands and maybe that he liked to fix things. His Camry was in relatively good condition given it was more than a decade old. If he worked on it himself, all the time, that definitely reinforced the good with his hands bit.

The fourth thing she had noticed had been his heartbeat. There was something different about the vibrations of his body, but really, it was his heartbeat that caught her attention. Sometimes, for seemingly no reason, his heartbeat would pick up and start pounding. He would be walking, would be eating, would be on the nature trail, and suddenly his heart rate would spike. It reminded her of the last time she had seen him. Her hand still burned, still thundered with his pulse. His pulse had picked up so hard when they had shaken hands, and she had to admit, so had hers.

The fifth thing she noticed was that he was… friendly. Or at least, amicable. Every time someone talked to him, he struck up a conversation with them. At least half of those conversations had switched to him showing them his photography, of which she assumed was nature and wildlife. He seemed so… normal. He seemed so normal, and yet, Sam still felt a bit of unease about him.

That unease was why she was psyching herself up in the parking lot. Instead of driving her mother’s dark blue sedan, she had brought Alice’s bug on this trip. She had gotten all she could get without actually talking to the guy. She looked at the door to the dinner. She checked that her black mock neck was still covering the high neck of her suit, checked that her slightly off-the-shoulder cardigan was doing the same for the sleeves. She had gotten used to wearing the suit as a constant after she had almost died. After Alice had died.

Finally, she took a deep breath and she walked inside, her ponytail bouncing with every step, the perfect spirals swaying back and forth. She saw him sitting, by himself, at a booth. Behind her, someone else came through the door and rushed over toward him. She blinked as they sat down across from him. Well, she was just going to have to wait, now. She casually walked past the table, only glancing at him once, and sat down in the booth behind him.​

Samantha Walsh was following him, and Oscar wasn't quite sure why.

Four different people had assured him she was legal. That was probably because of the embarrassed way he’d asked about her, the pretty redhead with the golden eyes. He’d seen her in passing, he told the barista at the coffee shop, and he really just wanted to know her name. Instead, the barista and everyone else he asked gave him pieces of her life story.

She was an artist. She was an athlete – every sports team, or close to it. She was short-tempered, and no matter what the gossips told him he was pretty sure she hadn’t grown out of it, if the undertone of rage that sat just above her natural scent of cinnamon was anything to go by. She’d spent her whole life in Lockbourne, graduated the high school in Hamilton recently. And apparently, she had recently gotten out of some kind of close relationship.

This guy is cute, one of the gossips had said, when she thought Oscar had walked out of earshot. Do you remember that guy she dated in like her sophomore year? He looks like him, only way cuter. That guy Marcus definitely didn't deserve her. So good they moved. Maybe this will help her bounce back from Alice.

Alice wasn’t her ex, as he originally suspected. Not officially at least. They’d been close, but Alice had died during a mystery blackout. Heart condition, no way to give her medical attention. What she’d been doing in the Far South division of Columbus, and not Lockborne or Hamilton. She and Sam had been on the same soccer team, graduated from the same high school, two years apart. A tragedy that would repeat as long as hopeful teenagers with bright futures existed.

Between the news about Marcus and the fact that ever well-meaning older person in town seemed to be subtly pushing Oscar to introduce himself and ask her out, she wasn’t lesbian. That, and the moment of embarrassed attraction. The fact that she liked what she saw when she looked at him would be enough to give most potential suitors at least a little hope.

His interest wasn’t purely romantic. She was cute, even if he’d only seen her full face in the newspapers, but he had no doubt that she was stalking him. She was good at it. He hadn’t seen her yet. But the cinnamon that sometimes carried on the wind was unmistakable. The feeling of eyes when he was facing a different direction.

The fact that she’d told him he made her nervous.

But as promised, he didn’t do anything else to warrant those nerves. Even when he noticed her, he didn’t address her. He walked with his very slight slouch that helped soften his angles and made his height less intimidating. He went about business as usual. He ate at the local shops. He drove his Camry, repaired it once. He visited at the Messenger every once in a while, but Ann Ruth was busy on other stories for most of the week, so they’d arranged a time and place instead. He chatted up the locals and learned about the history of Lockbourne and the surrounding area, learned about the animals, showed off his own nature photos.

And, with some spare time on his hands, Oscar went hiking. It was refreshing to take himself out of town. There was plenty of wildlife, and the weather was accommodating the whole week. One of the coyotes had actually let him touch it on the last hike. He liked the scrappy little animals, and identified with them, somewhat. State parks and city dumpsters weren’t their usual habitat, but they’d adapted to the changes around them and had thrived far better than the larger predators that used to rule the area. Oscar wasn’t really built for small town life, but he wasn’t living here, just staying over until his job was done.

Which it should be today. He’d been waiting in the diner when she walked in – not his contact at first. Samantha Walsh, star at everything she touched, strange and beautiful and heralded by the smell of cinnamon and apples like a freshly baked pie. He didn’t have time to focus on her, though, because Ms. Ruth was right behind her and made a professional beeline to his table.

“Hey, Ann,” Oscar smiled, and waved one of the fried potatoes from the plate in front of him. “Have you tried their waffle fries? There was this place in Grand Rapids–”

“I don’t have a lot of time. Tell me what you’ve got, Oscar.” She sat down, her face serious. She looked worn. She smelled agitated, under her rose perfume. She’d spent the last month trying to get the story on what most people now knew weren't bear attacks. It wasn’t really her fault she had to turn to someone like Oscar Fowler to butt his nose in where it didn’t belong on her behalf.

He tilted his head at Ann, never losing his half-smile despite the woman’s gravity.

“Hey, relax. I deliver.” He pulled an envelope out of his pocket, and carefully removed the admittedly small packet of photos he’d managed to get from the trail. He slid the photo of the coyote and the photo of the claw marks to the reporter. “I’ve got the evidence here to exonerate the local wildlife. And, yes, your evidence that the police are hiding something from you. I haven’t had a chance to talk to officials, but I do have a reliable source who stated the area was a crime scene.”

Ann clicked her pen, and started to take notes in her legal pad. “Does your source have a name?”

“You’re not paying me to give you my sources, Ann, you’re paying me to be your source, remember? Anyway… look at this claw pattern. It’s a puncture, not a slash. A bear would’ve raked the tree. This almost looks like…”

“A punch.” Ann frowned at the photo as she picked it up.

“A punch, exactly. And the coyotes, well, they’re definitely around. But they’re not congregated on the spot. And look at this guy. He was on the scene, but if you notice, there’s blood on his paws and not on his muzzle. Probably walked through patches of Mr. Fitzgerald, but it doesn’t look like there was enough for him to clean any bones.”

“Is it possible it clean itself off in a river or something? Don’t coyotes groom each other as a social… thing?”

Oscar bit back the correction on the tip of his tongue. Not relevant. This wasn’t the time for a rant on coyote social patterns. “Could’ve, maybe. But there also weren’t any along the trail. Lots of scavengers eat bones and everything – most predators will eat the smaller bones without thinking about it. But coyote jaws aren’t made for human femurs.”

“Could that, at least, have been a bear?”

Oscar shook his head. “Maybe. You’d think there’d be more signs, though. A track. Scat. Those kinds of things.”

“So what happened to Mr. Fitzgerald’s body?” Ann didn’t look too good. He was sure she’d already had access to crime scene photos he didn’t have the resources to see, and she had a few sinking suspicions.

Oscar just shrugged and picked up his root beer. “Beats me. I’m supposed to get you evidence, not theories.”

She asked him some more questions. Some were more relevant, some less. Eventually Oscar realized that he was surrounded by that cinnamon smell – Sam was hovering nearby, maybe right behind him. This was her worst attempt at hiding yet, but he didn’t say anything. Not even when Ann finally produced her envelope full of cash with a short “Don’t go anywhere yet. I’ll be in touch.” Not when she left without ordering anything.

Instead of following her right away, Oscar stayed behind to count his payment and finish his waffle fries. They were almost as good at that place in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

Sam listened to the conversation with interest. So, that explained his lie about being a writer for ecologist papers. Sounded like he was a private investigator. She waited a moment until the reporter, Ann, had left. Then she took in a shaky breath and stood up. She straightened out her cardigan, dusted off imaginary debris from her clothes, and took a few steps to the right. Then, she stopped.

She looked down at him, barely, and gave a small, shy smile. “Hi. Uhm, I’m sorry, this is probably weird, but some friends of mine said you were asking after me. You’re Oscar, right? I’m Sam, though I’m sure everyone and their mother have told you that by now, right?”

She played with the sleeves of her cardigan like she was nervous, like she was shy. It wasn’t all an act. She had forgotten how attractive he was up close. And after the week of following him from a distance, she had forgotten just how pale and blue his eyes were. So the shyness was real, as real as a normal teenage girl approaching a guy who had been asking about her. Her nervousness from the unease hadn’t quite faded yet, and she let it add to her shy girl “act”.

“Is it alright if I sit down with you?” She gestured to the other side of the booth, a dazzling smile on her face. She had learned a few years back that she could abuse her cuteness, her prettiness, and use it to distract people, to throw them off-guard. She was hoping the dazzling smile might add to the whole “I’m just a teenage girl who’s nervous about approaching a cute guy” vibe.

Still, despite her insistence at herself that this was an act, that she was just trying to gather how much he had come to know about her, she couldn’t stop her heart from absolutely racing. A small flush rose to her cheeks as she made eye contact, her dazzling smile becoming a full grin. She put her hands down, letting them rest against the front of her thighs as she waited for his answer.​

He heard her take a deep breath behind him. It shook in a way that was strangely genuine, a moment of nerves that was supposed to be private. He couldn’t help his hearing, though, and it gave him enough time to prepare before she stepped out of her booth and up to his. He looked up at her, looked surprised. And it wasn’t completely fake, either. She was a lot cuter up close and personal than she had been behind that mask, had been in the newspapers. Her face was a perfect heart shape, lightly dusted with cinnamon freckles like that was what caused the spice in her scent. Color crept into his own features as he realized that she really was as sweet as he’d remembered, sweeter than the apple pie in her scent. Every one of her features was soft, except her eyes, which couldn’t hide the glitter of more serious interest behind the blinding smile.

“Oscar, yep, that’s me.” His smile was perfectly disarming, polite and warm without any sign of teeth. She was being very forward for someone pretending to be so nervous. Who actually was, at least, a little nervous. He gestured across from him. “You bet, absolutely, please, sit down. Sorry about… yeah. Sorry if that seemed weird. Do you want a drink or something?”

He turned to look for a waiter, to try to flag them down for her. That was the etiquette for this kind of thing. Polite.

She kept the grin and scooted into the seat. His heart rate, which had already been somewhat high, shot all the way up when she came into his view. She could feel it pass through the linoleum and up the seat, into her hand where it pressed into the seat. Before she could deny the drink, the waitress was there. She smiled sheepishly. “Uhm, do you guys have any teas?”

“Sam, you know well as I do that Mr. Kleff doesn’t keep your tea in stock. You want that caramel Italian soda?”

“Please, Margo. I appreciate you.” She smiled up at the older woman, who looked between Sam and Oscar and smiled, raising an eyebrow slightly.

Sam blushed as Margo hurried off. She looked back up at Oscar and swallowed. What about him made her so… uneasy? She had no clue. Was the unease just nerves? Was it just her being nervous around such a cute guy? Well, cute wasn’t really the right word for him, was it? With his angular features, his sharp eyes, and his strong nose, he was more handsome than cute. If he were younger, then maybe cute would have been the right word. But his face had already lost the roundness that most teenagers still had. Honestly, he was a heart attack just waiting to happen.

Jeanette had said that, hadn’t she, when she had told Sam about the guy named Oscar who was looking for her. She had called him “a heart attack on two legs”. Sam had to admit, Jeanette wasn’t wrong. She coughed and looked away from his face, feeling her face light up like a Christmas tree.

“So, why were you looking for me? Uhm, my friend, she didn’t tell me.”

Caramel Italian soda went into Oscar’s mental logs for Samantha Walsh. He’d found out she preferred jasmine tea from the barista the first time he asked. He also added Margo to the long list of people who knew Sam personally. It was a list that just kept growing.

But his eyes stayed on her. His smile stayed warm, and he leaned forward on his arms. In the balance of sitting up straight or leaning closer, sitting up straight was more likely to intimidate, especially since when he leaned he kept the curve of his slouch. Not imposing on her personal space – just diminishing himself. His smile went from polite to a little embarrassed.

“Well… honestly I just meant to ask the barista at that German coffee shop? I kinda saw you in passing and wanted a name for the face, y’know. I had no idea you were kinda a celebrity around here. And then it was just curiosity. Beautiful and talented – that's a lucky combination.”

“You must mean Clarice. Did she give you half my life story? I wouldn’t be surprised.” She laughed then, her voice going up a full octave and becoming almost childlike, a bell-like sound that resonated through the building. It was the kind of laughter that echoed through rooms, that made people smile. It was a happy laugh, despite her nerves. It was followed by a pleased smile.

The unease in her chest was fading as they spoke. His posture was… putting her at ease, maybe. Maybe that was intentional. Maybe that was a tactic to disarm people, the same way that her bright grins were. While she played on her looks, he played on other people’s perceptions. She tried not to let that color her opinion. He was obviously just trying to put the girl he wanted to talk to at ease. She could let that work. She could let the unease ebb away.

“I wouldn’t say that. Beautiful and talented, I mean. What makes you say that? Did you talk to Fiona and Hannah? The older ladies with the pink and purple pastel hair? They rave about all the kids in town.”

Speaking of kids, Sam was still trying to place his age. She was leaning closer to her own, despite the sharpness of his features. There was a youthfulness to his face. He didn’t have any wrinkles or any obvious laugh lines. He still had that softness to the eyes and lips that indicated a younger age. But still, he was clearly older than her. But by how much she couldn’t tell.

“Uhm, so what brings you to town, Oscar? Usually, when people come this way it’s because there’s cheaper lodging than in Columbus proper. But you have been in town asking after me for several days. “

“Well, let’s see. Softball, basketball, tennis, soccer, track, volleyball. The only thing I don’t think I’ve heard about is swim team. Not just Fiona and Hannah and Clarice. The woman at the bakery had pictures of you with trophies in every sector. Pretty talented if you ask me. And being an artist? That’s almost unfair.”

He listed each sport off on his long fingers, and the tease was clear in the last part of his statement. He felt her watching him, knew she was looking for something specific. He was already happy he had a story prepped, since Ann wanted him to keep their business relationship quiet for now. Probably so she could take credit for the research. Not like he could be listed as anything but an anonymous source anyway. What he was doing here wasn’t exactly legal.

“Me? Work. Nothing exciting. I was originally just passing through, but then that bear attack happened and somebody recognized me as a casual ecologist. I’ve written a few articles on predatory behavior for some blogs in the past. I could use the extra cash, so I agreed to stick around long enough to get something typed up. No sign of any bears, but the coyotes have been pretty interesting.”

He looked down and tapped the table with his fingers, then back up at her with more of a smirk than a smile.

“I wouldn’t want to bore you with all that. Sorry again about the casual stalking. I really didn’t mean anything by it.”

Before Sam could reply, Margo showed up, a tall glass with caramel syrup and cream at the bottom and club soda filling the rest. Sam thanked her, and as she turned away, she passed a look between Sam and Oscar once more, and gave Sam an encouraging smile. The flush came back with a vengeance, and for not the first time, she cursed her redhead genetics. She turned her attention back to Oscar.

There were several ways to go about this conversation. She could either be flirtatious, or she could admit to overhearing the conversation he’d had. She took the straw to her drink and stirred it, watching the cream and syrup mix into the soda. Well. There was no reason she couldn’t do both. She listened to his heartbeat start to fall back into an easy rhythm, and then made her choice.

“Right, the bear attacks. Listen…” She paused, a sheepish smile on her face as she looked up from under her lashes. “I’m really sorry, but I overheard your conversation. You’re some kind of investigator, aren’t you? I won’t say anything to anyone, I promise. But between that and the way you’ve gone about asking after me… Well, it just makes sense.”

She paused, taking a long sip of her creamy drink. She sighed happily at the sweet flavor before looking back up with a bit of a more sharp smile. There was a playful sparkle in her eyes as she looked at him. “As for the casual stalking, well. You wouldn’t have to stalk me if we maybe saw each other again. Wouldn’t be stalking if I knew you were there, would it be?”

The unease had yet to follow ebb away, but she was trying to let it go. She still couldn’t tell if she was just nervous or if he unsettled her in some way. For now, though, she was going to follow the other feeling she had around him. That feeling that was making her feel more like a shy little girl than she had felt in years. She definitely thought he was attractive. And he seemed so… normal. He really did. Maybe there wouldn’t be anything wrong with… letting this happen.

“If you’ve been looking into me, you probably know I’m eighteen, so if you’re okay with that…” A casual and subtle request for his own age, while confirming that she was in fact the age she was sure everyone had told him, probably multiple times.​

Oscar’s smile changed a tick when Margo came back with Sam’s soda. It looked good, and it seemed like the exact thing a sweet girl like her would want. Given that Margo had proposed it, she probably ordered it pretty regularly here.

He debated looking surprised that she’d overheard his conversation. She was being open about it. That was a good sign that she wanted to work… that she wanted whatever this was, to work. Maybe not work together. She wasn’t going to tell him everything, if she was smart, any more than he was going to tell her anything.

“I saw you sit down in the booth behind me. Not a lot of other redheads in town.” Partial honesty might be for the best. After all, who’d believe him if he told her she smelled like a pastry? Her hair in his periphery made way more sense. “And several people have assured me you are – legal.”

He winked, then took a quick glance to the side at the rest of the diner. Nobody was close enough to hear, he was almost sure. He didn’t lose the friendly smile, but his voice changed to something more serious. The shift reflected in his eyes. Not a warning – nothing so vaguely threatening as a warning. Just more wary, that was all. Clearly watching her reaction while putting on the show of young people falling in love for any onlookers as his voice fell in volume.

“Unlike my investigation. I’m…not exactly licensed. Ms. Ruth heard about me through a contact I helped back in Toledo, heard I got a nose for this kinda thing, but I might as well be a nosy civilian for all the authority I’ve got. But I promise, my interest is strictly professional.”

His eyes got an odd little sparkle, maybe flirtatious, maybe sharp, maybe smart, recognizing his own irony between his last statement and his next. His smile quirked at the corner. He had one dimple when he did that.

“Now, I don’t know this town half as well as you do, I’m sure.” His voice rose again, not too loud, just audible for people listening in. “But I’m free tonight, if you know a place you’d like to show a stranger.”

Sam nodded thoughtfully at his explanation. That rang true. Every bit of it was the truth. His heart rate rose once, right when he said “legal”, and she assumed it was because he had been about to admit that what he was doing wasn’t. She took a long sip of her soda and then gave a flirtatious grin, as though what he had said so softly to her was in some way much less serious than it was.

To be honest, she didn’t have a problem with this. This cleared him of the lies he had told her before and also left her feeling as though her unease must have been from her nerves about potentially being attracted to someone again.

It had been a year since Alice’s death, since she had sorted through her feelings and realized she hadn’t really been in love with the girl. She had just wanted someone to not be afraid of her. This had resulted in her going further into Columbus and almost making a big mistake with a young, drunk guy who had hit on her. If it hadn’t been for the fact that Joshua had followed her, had stopped her, she might have done something stupid. She hadn’t even really been attracted to the guy, she was just so desperate to forget about everything that was going on. Joshua had ended up giving her a speech that night, about saving herself until she found someone who clicked for her.

Her heart picked up a little as she thought about that conversation, right then. She pushed it from her thoughts, letting her flirtatious smile turn into a grin, a flash of understanding passing through her eyes. She wouldn’t bring it back up again, at least not then. Instead, she chose to address the next thing he said, allowing some color to return to her cheeks.

“I might know a spot. Meet me at the entrance of the Meadows Park, say, around five-thirty? You bring drinks, I’ll bring food, and I’ll take you to my favorite spot in the whole town.”

She let her legs swing a bit as she spoke, which was not a normal habit of hers. She had no idea where that movement was coming from. Nor did she know why her hands were finding her long curls and playing with them. None of those movements were ones she did casually. She realized with a start this was the first time she had ever intentionally flirted with someone. She let go of her hair and stilled her legs at the realization.​

Samantha Walsh had it bad for him. He could tell, not by the way her legs kicked or the way her fingers curled in her hair, but by the way she stopped them abruptly after her invitation was extended. His eyes communicated I saw that, along with another dimpled smile. Teasing.

He was glad she caught on to what he’d been hinting at with his expression, with his proposal. With luck she’d come in costume, or at least with the costume mentality at the ready. Posing as a couple on a date was probably the best way to make this work. It ensured privacy, and the fact that it apparently had roots in real attraction would help. And, hey, if it didn’t work out, then nothing lost.

“I think I can manage drinks. Just pop, or should I grab water? Or coffee?” Then, with a wry smile – clearly facetious, because she’d mentioned her age, “Or something stronger…?”

He kept himself from laughing, but this might actually be fun, despite the risks. And– well, he did have a couple of ideas about other things to grab if he went shopping. Ann’s payment hadn’t been anything to scoff at, after all, and he’d mostly planned to use it for gas. But as he glanced from her eyes to her dark lipstick and down her neck, from the spiked collar over her black turtleneck to her off-the-shoulder maroon cardigan, he decided it might be worth checking out where the nearest Hot Topic was.

He had a few hours to kill between now and then. He might as well put them to good use.

Sam had no idea what she was doing. She was standing at the entrance of Lockbourne Meadow Park, an actual picnic box slung over her arms. It was full to the brim, filled with leafy greens, freshly sliced deli meats and cheeses, a whole loaf of honey wheat bread, and everything else you could possibly need to make a good sandwich. She was honestly embarrassed at how much effort she had put into it.

She was dressed up too. She wore her suit underneath it, of course, and slung over her back was her vigilante kit, with her mask and her hammer and her police scanner. After this date, she was most likely going immediately on patrol. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t look cute beforehand. She wore her trademark deep brown lipstick and cat-eye liner she had started wearing two years ago, a black long-sleeved shirt with mesh inserts at the high neck, upper bust, and upper arms. The matte red of her suit showed through those parts, its embossed diamond pattern lining up almost perfectly with the fishnet mesh, so it looked like shadows. She topped this outfit off with some distressed black jeans and her usual chunky boots, the buckled straps loosely and haphazardly arranged.

She had no idea why she had pushed for a date of all things with Oscar. Afterall, he made her so nervous, even if she was hiding it well. At least, she thought she was hiding it well. She had chosen to try and frame the unease as just… a result of her attraction to him. He made her nervous because he was beautiful. That had to be it. He had done nothing but be a pleasant, normal guy. He had given her no real reason to be uncomfortable, and with the new knowledge that he was a PI, well, she found herself questioning her gut. She had never been wrong before, but maybe there was some kind of wire crossed.

She had spent the last five hours debating with herself on wearing the suit, combing out her by-then messy curls until they once again fell in perfect ringlets from her ponytail, and trying to avoid telling her parents who she was meeting with. They had finally accepted Patricia, but it was clear they didn’t believe that. She didn’t know how to explain that she was going off to see a complete stranger, someone she had met twice, and who they had no clue about. If they had known that, they would have gone into Parent Mode, during which they would have found out everything they possibly could, and likely would have insisted she not go.

They were overprotective when it came to her personal life, as though it made up in some way for letting their teenage daughter be a vigilante. They screened all her friends, all the boys in her life, and it didn’t help that Joshua was on their side. She flashed back once again to the conversation she’d had with him, about saving herself for someone special. Did this… count? The fact that she finally felt something for someone, something that felt genuine? She sighed. She had no idea, really.

Either way, she now stood waiting, five minutes early, for her “date” with Oscar. She had an important choice to make before he showed up. Having a PI on her side, for tracking down this new serial killer, seemed like a smart thing. Even if he wasn’t necessarily sanctioned, he clearly had good observation skills and that was something that Sam, while she was passable, could use more of.

Alice had been the one with an eye for detail. She had been the one who knew how to look at crime scenes and notice the littlest details, important things that had them incredibly effective. Sam, while she still had a high success rate, was struggling with forcing herself to learn all the skills she had relied so heavily on Alice for. It had left her with a bit of a sharp edge to her working persona.

So now it boiled down to a single choice: reveal her identity to Oscar, or not. She looked out at the parking lot at the car she had inherited from Alice, the green beetle she had learned how to drive in. She had told herself she would never take on another partner. That she would never allow herself to experience that kind of loss ever again. Teaming up with Oscar, who was unpowered, normal, and therefore fragile, would leave her open to that devastating heartbreak again.

But for all the previous reasons, he would make a good partner. She was still considering the options when five-thirty finally rolled around.​

Oscar’s gold Camry pulled into the parking lot right on time. He’d figured she would already be here. She seemed like the type. The windows were rolled slightly down, just enough for his music to roll out into the general quiet of the late afternoon.

She’s a rebel, she’s a saint,
She’s the salt of the Earth, and she's dangerous.

He’d seen her Beetle when they left the diner, so it wasn’t that hard to pick it back out. A beautiful car in comparison to his intentionally average-looking sedan, which had no real personality or identifiers besides the Wisconsin plates he hadn’t changed since he’d left. He hadn’t needed to yet – the tags still had another year on them.

It’d only been a twenty minute drive from his hotel to the Hot Topic on the north side of Columbus, and he was glad they’d had what he’d been looking for and then some. Part of his haul was in the back seat, the black bag with the store logo hidden in the bottom of the brown paper bag that had… probably more drinks than the two of them could have in the span of the date. Date. That was interesting to think about. He hadn’t been on a date since high school. This might not even be a real date. He had some suspicions about why she’d pick an obscure spot like this for a date. “Date,” maybe. Her interest was real, but she was making a concerted effort to resist it. He couldn’t really blame her. He was a stranger who made her nervous, and there was only so much she could do to chalk that up to his good looks when her gut instincts were warning her about nothing specific.

She’s a rebel, vigilante,
Missin’ link on the brink of destruction.

He stepped out of the Camry. Brown hiking boots, newish-looking dark blue jeans, and red flannel were all pretty common for him. What wasn’t common – brand new, even – was the American Idiot t-shirt with a black turtleneck underneath (and another long-sleeve shirt, invisible underneath that). Other new features included the set of chains hanging at the hip of his jeans and the fingerless black gloves that helped his long fingers seem not quite as thin as they were. His hair was intentionally ruffled, the tight curls heavy enough not to completely frizz but light enough to stick out at almost deliberately odd angles. He didn’t have any makeup on, but he had pierced his ears. One ring in the lobe of his left, two helix rings in his right. Maybe he was going a little heavy on the disguise for his “date”, but he figured that looking closer to her type would help settle suspicious looks from locals who only saw the stranger from out of town with their beloved heroine.

“Hey, there, sweetheart!” He waved to the entrance of the park, smile warm and eyes bright. “Hope you haven’t been waiting long. Just a sec.”

He rummaged in the back seat and emerged with the brown paper sack in one arm, and a box of A&W root beers under the other. He nudged the door shut with his hip, then walked over to Sam at a casual lope.

Last edited:

Sam was broken from her musing by the sound of Oscar’s voice, slightly rough and bordering the edge of deep. She looked up and saw him waving, and for a moment her hand raised to wave back before she stopped. While it wasn’t a huge change from the way he had looked before, it was enough to be noticeable. The shirt, the chains, the gloves, and– were those earrings? Had his ears been pierced earlier? No, she was almost positive they hadn’t been.

She refocused her eyes on him, and his face came into sharp focus. His ears didn’t have the telltale signs of being freshly pierced, but he absolutely had not had any holes in his ears earlier. She blinked her eyes back into regular focus as he approached. The new look felt like it was carefully catered to her, and unfortunately for Sam, it was absolutely working.

A blush rose to her cheeks the closer he got. He was dressed to compliment her, weaving pieces of her own style into his. She swallowed and realized as he finally stopped next to her that she had completely forgotten to speak the entire time.

“Hi! No, haven’t been waiting long at all. Ah, it’s a few minutes walk, but I figured you wouldn’t mind that too much.” She gestured toward his shoes, trying hard to be casual. Meanwhile, she was sent reeling once again from “sweetheart”. This time, she managed not to stammer, and instead tucked a stray curl behind her ear, bringing her eyes up to his.

The new clothes and accessories suited him, she decided. He wore them with ease, even if they were only a show for her. She pointed down a dirt path, one that passed by a small children’s park and into a small patch of woods. “For the most part, we’ll be following this little nature trail. But there’s a spot where we break off, and- well, you’ll see. It’s my personal spot out here, where I go to think when I want to be alone.”

His smile cracked into a grin as he realized just how flustered his outfit choice made her. He couldn’t help it. Her cheeks as red as her air to almost drown out her freckles, her eyes as bright as his when she finally brought herself to look at him. He kept in mind why they were here, though. She might be taken with him, but she wasn’t going to chase after the first pretty boy she saw. Otherwise she might’ve ended up with– what had his name been? Marcus. Right.

“Oh, you bet. I hike pretty often by myself.” As she already knew, but he wouldn’t tell her what she did or didn’t know. He then looked down at the rest of his outfit. “Ah– was this too much? I figured we’d get less attention if I follow your lead. Since– for privacy. You know. Speaking of following your lead–”

He dropped his voice just a little bit. He was pretty sure they were alone, but he knew better than to make assumptions.

“Do you want me behind you or next to you? Totally up to you.”

“No, no! Uhm, no. You look, ah, great. I like it.” Then, she paused, parsing through his last question. Behind or next to her? Privacy, and following her lead? She felt a small knot form in her stomach and she thought of the mask in her sack bag, strung across her back.

“... Next to me is okay. I don’t mind if we’re seen. No one else knows where we’re going. At least, no one has ever uploaded photos from this particular view to the park’s Google review or Facebook. I figure no one else has ever found it but me and– but me.” She swallowed back thoughts of Alice and started walking. He fell into step beside her, and for a moment, she was absolutely silent. She could feel her heart starting to pound.

It was entirely likely he knew, she realized. He was observant, and he had asked after her, and he could put two and two together. He had met her as Wildcat. His knowing wouldn’t really be surprising. Given the detective knew, she imagined anyone with good observation skills would figure it out. God, though, did that mean she had completely misread the situation. Did he not know she considered this a real date?

When did she start considering this a real date? She realized with a start that she had no idea when her brain had decided it was no longer a “date” and was instead a date. Oh no. She tilted her head to the side as they walked, her hair falling back off her shoulder and to her back. Maybe she should just say something about it now. Would that be weird?

“How old are you, by the way? I don’t think you said.” The words left her mouth before she could really register them. She bit the inside of her bottom lip and then grinned, her cheeks heating up. “I mean, is it okay if I ask some questions? That’s what you do on dates, right? I haven’t been on one in like almost three years. And I’ve never been on one with someone I didn’t already know almost everything about.”

Smooth. Smooth and collected, and totally cool. That was Sam. She sighed, a shaky breath that said more about how nervous she was about all of this than any words ever could. A date, possibly revealing her identity, possibly having been found out to begin with. It was enough to let that deep unease slip back in, warring with her now blatantly clear attraction to him.​

“Right, right.” She was… nervous. She didn’t smell scared. She was at the step before. Not a full adrenaline high, but enough it was showing in her body language. “I’d offer to hold your hand too, but–” He hefted the box of pop a little.

He moved silently next to her for a little while, letting her sort out her thoughts about him. Fear and attraction were odd mixes, but they tended to work out in the movies. This wasn’t a movie, but as long as one of them stayed cool, the other one could figure out what exactly it was they were feeling. He could have his turn later. Preferably when she wasn’t right next to him to recognize what might come through his eyes. Could be embarrassing, or worse.

“Nineteen, going on twenty. It’s– why I don’t have my license.” It was the only reason, besides how much he moved around and how hard it was to apply for one depending on state laws. Someday he’d find a big population center that’d be good for someone like him to settle down and disappear into. That was a problem for his future, though.

He then shrugged a shoulder – the one with the paper bag, which crinkled audibly. “Questions are fine. It’s been four or five years since my last date, and– we were stupid teens, so it wasn’t really what most people would call a date. Sounds like you’ve got a bit more experience.”

Back