RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

"Not one for hats? But a hat is the soul of an adventurer! How are you going to have an adventure if you haven't got a hat?" Rielle patted Juniper's arm. "Well, that's all right, you're very new to being a sidekick."

This might have devolved into an entire monologue on hats, but unfortunately they were interrupted by the arrival of a fairy woman, who had apparently been looking for Juniper. An introduction was made, or half of one. Rielle offered a handshake. "Rielle Martín, professional adventurer. We shall certainly be having one! Although not yet, because Juniper hasn't got a hat. And you are?"

It was always hard to say, with fairies. Sometimes they had no sense of adventure at all, especially when they were accusing you of things that they had really got the wrong idea about and should definitely listen to the whole story. No, actually, that was everyone. But with fairies it was more likely to end up with imprisonment. That whole disorderly conduct thing, completely out of proportion. Why, Rielle was as orderly as they came! She had a plan for everything!

Ciaran. He'd never heard of him, at least not by name.The man wasn't the horny kind of pirate, which meant Sky would have to put on a little more work to get the information he wanted.

"A ship, like yours but not as big. What's her name?" Sky asked, tilting a finger around a strand of hair and showing a subtle pout.

Was Emer eavesdropping? If she was, it didn't seem like she'd heard the 'm' word or she wouldn't be smiling at him, which was a relief. If Caleb had any intention of trying to keep his feelings a secret, it was shot down by the huge smile he cracked when the wisewoman mentioned her name.

"She is the best." Caleb said, when they were no longer on the ship. He stuffed his hand in his pocket, feeling the leather boxes with the jewelry he'd purchased and hesitated a moment before pulling one of them out and opening it up to show Emer the necklace - the one that made him think of Starbird, with three golden stars on a delicate chain.

"Do you think she's gonna like it?"

Emer's eyes widened a bit as she appraised the piece, clasping her hand over one of Caleb's with a firm nod.

"I think she will love it. It is beautiful. But -"

Glancing side to side, she leaned in again conspiratorially.

"Between the both of us - write her something alongside. Something simple, I think - no need for fancy words or long prose - but make it heartfelt. We appreciate gestures more if there is something of our man's hand in it, hm?"

The wisewoman smirked. Alys had been looking for something new to read, after all.

"I approve of this."

Sky knew the boy needed some stability, and perhaps this would give him just that. Leaning back, she instead looked to the sky, overcast, stars suffocated in cloud and smog.

"Now. What was this surprise?"

Ciarán wouldn’t lie to himself, he found her very attractive.

Typically he wasn’t one to be so moved so soon, but then again maybe it was coping for his missteps with Beck. Or it could’ve been the fact he hadn’t seen a woman of his kind in this light - or maybe it was the fact he’d been on a dry spell for quite a while despite the copious amounts of tension aboard the boat at all times.

Yeah, it was probably that.

Still, the prospect of anything happening was still over the horizon. ”I call her Lucky Bones - won her over a round of dice.” He smiled confidently. Ciarán didn’t like lying to a lady, but he’d been a pirate long enough to know better.

"Well, no shit! A professional!" Alys responded, giving Rielle a firm smile. First impressions were important, but certainly not always accurate. Sky could very well be fucking with her, or perhaps the woman was simply a nutjob. Of course, there were many of those aboard the Nox, using one definition of the word or the other. Or, better yet, Alys was completing off the mark. No one would ever guess Juniper had lit up and destroyed an entire town, and yet Fen Manor would likely still be rebuilding this time next year.

"I'm Alys," the fae responded, keeping the introduction nice and simple. "Welcome. Juniper? Can I talk to you privately?"

"I, uh, I suppose? I'm not necessarily doing anything right now," Juniper responded, though immediately suspicious. She was being oddly pushy about this, weirdly serious, and it didn't help that, again, they had hardly spoken recently. At all. And to top it all off, she'd just come out of some private conversation with Caleb after being promoted, despite her relative inexperience on the Nox. Juniper wasn't jealous, of course, at least, they didn't think so, it just seemed so- weird.

They hadn't spoken for a week, why did she want to talk now? Last time they spoke, Alys was acting insane and trying to kill all of them. It got them shot Why did she want to talk now, all of a sudden, after acting like nothing had happened? It wasn't-

The changeling let out a huff, dismissing the thoughts. It didn't matter. "Uh, bunks, I guess? After you. Oh- sorry, Rielle. Just get acquainted, I guess?"

"Alys, lovely!" A name for a face. If these pirates were going to be carrying her around, Rielle ought to know what names to use in the story - or what names not to use, depending on how the story went and who she was telling it to.

It was quite evident that the two of them wanted to have a little private conversation. Well, Rielle wasn't the sort to lurk in doorways - and besides, if it were anything of note, Juniper would tell her later. That was part of being a sidekick! She would have to make sure Juniper knew that, but that was a project for later. "I'll just go on up, then, shall I?"

Rielle did not really need an answer to this question, because she had a pirate ship to explore. It was easy enough to find the way Alys had come down - would have been more fun to scale the side, of course, but that was the sort of thing that was likely to get people shooting at you if you did it before introductions. Not that that wouldn't have been fun, but perhaps it was best not to start on an awkward note. There was always such a fuss when people remembered they had been shooting at you.

"Halloooooooooooo! I have arrived!" How fortunate for them!

Lucky Bones. Sky knew better than to trust pirates, but he'd figure out what was true and what wasn't later. What he knew to be true was that the bastard was attracted to him, and he didn't even have to inflate his boobs too much.

"I'm enamored with big ships." Alicia bit her lip and cracked a smile. "Would you introduce us?"

Write her something. Caleb didn't have much of a habit of reading or writing anything other than inventory and numbers, and that wasn't even his job anymore. He would have no fucking clue of what to write. He could easily picture Emryk doing it, writing a love letter in that stupid journal of his, but Caleb was… A more practical guy.

"Are you sure this is good? I've got a bigger one, just in case." But he knew the answer before Emer responded, this was the right gift, and either one would be an improvement compared to the copper ring on a string around her neck. It didn't have a thousand carats of diamonds hanging from it like Alys deserves, but it was made of pure gold. And it made him think of her.

"Now. What was this surprise?"

Caleb stopped walking and tried to force the smile out of his lips, tilting his chin up to the sign they were under.

THE LAST MEAL

He opened the door and stood by it like a footman introducing royalty.

"Ladies first."

She caught his eye, and he came to her table. Her hands gently worked the tarot deck as he did so, her face hovering between neutral and a faint smile just barely noticeable. A very, very practiced expression, and luckily one that didn't look like it. It did warm a little more smile-ward when he commented on the crystal ball, as she remembered the misfortune that had befallen the last one.

"It is both," she admitted, her voice deeper than most usually expected by her face. Then, to clarify she was speaking of the object, "much like the future itself. But, yes. This is my livelihood. A palm reading is one coin. Tarot, two coins. Crystal ball, three coins."

Exactly as she had told the impetuous young captain, who she was trying not to think of. No specification of the type of coin, only the number expected.

Clik. Clik. Clik.

Winter always liked stone, especially in cities like these where it was worn and tired and smooth. Here the echo would slink along the walls, like the palm of hand searching in the dark to make shapes where none could be seen. It was better than the thump thrump of her heel against dirt, where the long grasses would trip up the sound and leave the world thin and choking.

The alley was a pleasant breath of respite from the street, with all the bodies in motion she had to account for. The rustling of cloth and voices, faces which almost took shape but never quite found who they were in her mind. It was fine for a time, but now was not quite that time and so Winter needed to take a breath. Not that the smell was much better here than it was anywhere.

No, that wasn’t fair, there was a restaurant that had a lovely scent when she passed it a handful of streets back, perhaps it would be worth a try sometime later. After chores were done. The alleyway took its shape with the tap of her cane, wavering walls and empty crates, less strain for her mind to put in its place as she passed, though there was another sound at her ear, and a curious one at that. Heavier on the old stone than most boots should be, though the sound lingered just beyond where thoughts were clear, and they instead muddled together.

A hammer on a barrel? A fat man hurrying down the street? A tall man attempting the same? Winter cocked her head and slowed her own pace. Best to let them approach perhaps, or maybe turn down an interchange she couldn’t hear.

More and more, the look on his face seemed to imply a surprise for her. He'd led them to a quaint little shop - an inn, by the look, with a restaurant beneath. The name was a tad ominous. Last meals spoke of death, of execution, of sacrifice. Maybe there was some underlying meaning she was missing here. A last meal before a voyage, or a last meal before heading out for bed. Yes, that seemed far less -

Dismal.

Stepping past Caleb with a polite nod of thanks, she slipped inside, glancing around. Two things drew her eye. One - a dour faced man sitting across from a woman covered in brown feathers, a crystalline orb seated between them. Her heart leapt a little at the sight. Even through the cloak, she recognized folk. It was rare to see them. Rarer still, to see them in a place like this. It had been - five years, since last she'd known one in passing? Emer smiled at the girl, but didn't make an immediate attempt to catch her attention, instead turning to the other thing in the place that she recognized.

Not as kin, but as trouble.

"You spoke of only one surprise, Caleb," Emer said through tight teeth, "yet I see two before me. Tell me, was it your intention to bring me to the hearth of Julian Zadari?"

There it was. Ciaran couldn't make the same mistake twice - even if he really wanted to.

"Nothing would make me happier," Ciaran gently placed his thumb and forefinger against her chin and leaned in closer, "it pains me to deny you this but as her captain, I have important business to see to." Another lie but after the trouble they'd found in Allegria, Ciaran wasn't keen on distractions until he knew what the plan was.

"But, I'd love to make time for you later. Where might I find you?"

Sky pretended like he enjoyed being touched by such a manly guy even though he was totally not his type, and pouted once again after the rejection. It wasn't all lost though, not yet. He put both hands over Ciaran's broad shoulders, caressing it while peeling down his jacket.

"I'll be around. Can I have your coat?" He blinked seductively while running their fingers down his arms, feeling the bump of something that wasn't flesh under his right sleeve. Interesting. "That way you'll be forced to meet me after your affairs, captain… To get your coat back." He whispered the last part, hoping not to find resistance from the man's part.

Ronan had looked everywhere for Alys, which had probably been a terrible idea because now he didn't know where he was. People looked at him funny, maybe because of his size, or just for how clearly confused and scared he was, except for one person. A woman with a cane, and a cloth covering her eyes.

"Excuse me, ma'am… Do you know where I can find the sea?" He asked, hoping she'd point him back to where the ship was.

Juniper was evidently irritated - hesitating, huffing and puffing, even the way they looked at Alys was different somehow. Whatever the reason, the fae was sure she'd find out soon enough.

In their bunks, apparently. Alys would've been content with pulling them to the side, away from Rielle, but if they wanted to go below deck - fine. So she nodded and began to lead the way, down the wooden staircase and through the door where the female crewmates resided. Where she still resided, despite her recent promotion.

Taking a seat on the edge of her own bed, she looked to her friend. "Rielle seems like she may have an interesting skillset." Or none at all. Alys was banking on one or the other, no in between. "Have you been with her long?"

---

"Whit th' hell urr ye yelling fur?" An impossibly loud voice boomed from across the deck, a direct response to a woman's godawful screech. Tirras hated screechy women - goddamn them all. His last wife had been the worst of all; whining more than the snot-nosed infant constantly attached at her teet. Driving him insane and then calling him insane for going mad and abandoning them. If he'd wanted to hear that shit or starve to death, he'd go back home.

"Shut th' hell up 'n' mak' yersel' useful. Git ower 'ere - " Tirras lifted a thick, tattooed hand and pointed a finger at the red-haired woman who's voice gave him unappreciated flashbacks.

"What? No! Ignore him, she's the surprise!" Caleb whispered back, following after Emer with his hands on her shoulders, as if to prevent her from attacking Julien. He hadn't expected her to react so poorly after so many years.

"Seems like we're gonna have to wait in line." Caleb said, noticing the man occupying the chair he'd sat on a few minutes earlier. He didn't like waiting, though. "Hi! I'm back for that reading." He said loudly to capture the fortune teller's attention.

Their brow furrowed at Alys' question. The way she asked that question implied things, in the exact way Caleb would have tried to. Maybe he was rubbing off on her a bit too much. "I don't know, twenty minutes? That's all we've been here, and we had to replace who we- who we lost. She has a weapon, and is willing to use it. Better than some people we pick up." Instead of taking a seat, Juniper stood firmly by the door, crossing their arms as they leaned back against the doorframe.

"That doesn't seem like something you'd pull me aside about, though. Is something wrong? You seemed upset earlier." Nevermind the fact that this whole set of circumstances were extremely off-putting for them.

"I, well-" Ciaran tried to protest, but she was already wrapped around him with her arms pulling down his jacket. He chuckled as he pulled his arms from the sleeves, revealing his prosthetic underneath. He'd worn his stately coat, a recognizable piece of his outfit and as much as he didn't want to part with it, there had to be no harm in it - right? Besides, she was a Fir Bolg. He surely wouldn't be robbed by one of his own kind. "To just retrieve my coat, of course," As it came off, he pulled a parcel from the inside pocket.

Ciaran wrapped the coat around her shoulders - broader than most women he'd fancied. "What kind of gentleman would I be to deny a lady warmth on a night as cold as this?" He gave her a pleasing smile, "don't stray too far now," he said before he turned to leave.

Twenty minutes. Good, that was good. That meant it couldn't possibly be Sky. Not yet anyway. "No, no, it's good that you found her," Alys murmured absentmindedly, as though it were an afterthought.

Because it was - especially after Juniper asked their question. A small smile appeared on Alys' lips. They certainly didn't miss anything. "I ran into someone in town. Someone I used to care a lot about." The truth for a friend, albeit minimized. But Juniper could read between the lines. "Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant reunion."

"He's unpredictable. And wild, and loves playing stupid fucking games. When we leave Leimor, I want to make sure he stays too." Alys paused, shifting her weight on the bed.

The magically healed scar. The complete lack of any scars. The strange fae ancestry. Or lack thereof. Caleb's nudge in their direction.

"He's a changeling - that's why I asked about Rielle."

Bingo.

Sky waved and smiled until the Fir Bolg was no longer in sight to only then change into self proclaimed Ciaran, captain of the Lucky Bones. It was time to find out if any of what he said was true.

The changeling wasn't capable of reproducing the prosthetic so one of his arms were missing, but he was sure he'd come up with an excuse if anyone asked about it. He hopped on board the ship and slowly inspected the deck, trying not to attract too much attention to himself. Before talking to people and possibly giving his fake identity away, he wanted to discover as much as he could by observation alone, and what he observed were the names carved to the base of the mast. Some were familiar, of people he either met or had heard about, but the one that truly caught his eye was one that seemed to have been carved quite recently.

Sinead Oiche. Which meant that Alys' new crew was that of the Whore of the Horizon and the famous Hard Nox.

Someone in town. Someone Alys used to care for a lot, that liked to play games and wasn't nice to see again, after a presumably long time apart. "Alys," they said, a half groan, "you have terrible taste in men. Is he just a regular asshole, a pirate? What's going on with-"

For a fraction of a second they stopped, stumbling over their words following what Alys said. Who she said this guy was. He was like them, then. A changeling, who could be anyone, at any moment. Maybe that's why they felt the way they did before bringing Rielle aboard. Some part of Juniper knew there was another one nearby, or maybe it was a lucky coincidence.

Either way, it- wasn't good. Alys had sought them out, saying they were exactly who she wanted to see. Someone she hated meeting again was here, looking for her, and was just like them. Worst fears were being realized, but it was out of their control right now. All they could do was try to mitigate the damage.

They picked back up after that fraction of a second, which felt like an eternity in thought. "Ah, so he's the every kind of asshole then. Well, I was talking to Rielle whenever you met him, I think, so... not her, right now anyways. Shit, should've stayed on deck, she could get replaced at any point and I don't know her well enough to say otherwise." Internally, they felt as if they were withering. Painting theirself, and their people, in this light hurt, but-

It wasn't inaccurate. They'd done the same. It was how they left home safely, and survived since. "Do you think he's going to try to follow after you like that? If he's going to, we need to get him now, and warn everyone. The less he learns about us, the easier it is to spot him." Juniper hesitated on their next words for a moment, before saying, "They can only work with what they know. They can't read minds, from what I know, but they're good at reading people, figuring out how they think. Knowing he's around helps stop him. What's the name he gave you?"

Back