RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

Emer’s playdate with her kin would have to wait, this was important. She’d said she trusted him, and unlike the other times he’d heard such a thing, he believed it. Caleb listened to her every word without commenting or trying to take the bottle from her hand - he had to be sober for this, for her. He wouldn’t risk fucking things up like he usually did.

It wasn’t a long story, Alys clearly spared him the details. He understood why she kept it a secret however, no sane pirate would keep a pirate killer onboard, even if a recovering one. Caleb chuckled at her final words.

“I couldn’t have done it with anyone else.” Caleb said quietly, reaching forward to lightly touch the tips of her fingers. If she allowed it, he’d slowly brush over the back of her hand. He furrowed his brows. “I can’t. I can’t do this with anyone else.”

Whether it was the terrifying act of disclosing the information to someone, or the immediate acceptance - Alys didn’t know. But for one reason or another, she embraced the wave of relief that followed, even as it caused a couple stray tears to finally roll down her face. Feeling his fingers brush against her hand, she flipped her hand and allowed their fingers to intertwine, while simultaneously turning her face away - just for a second. Her other hand hastily wiped the tears away and she forced the stupid smile off her face.

“The other thing - someone from my past is in town. I may have alluded to having someone to get him to stop bothering me. And because he pissed me off.” And to rub it in his face a little bit.

“I don’t plan on leaving the ship again, but I know he watched us on deck. It’s a lot to ask, but if he approaches you in town, can you pretend?”

Alys wiped the tears from her cheeks before he could do it. His heart made a brief pause when she enlaced their hands together, and Caleb would've made his move had she not just asked him to fake having feelings for her. A knot got stuck in his throat and Caleb pulled back slightly, without letting go of her hand. It took him a moment, but then it sank in. This could be an opportunity.

"Let's show him. There's going to be a masquerade tonight." Caleb said, with a devilish smirk. "Big mansion, lots of treasure… Plus you owe me a dance." That way he could woo her without having to face the possible rejection. Brilliant. "What does he look like?"

Alexander Smith did not believe much in omens, otherwise he might have avoided a place called 'the last meal.' Instead, figuring it might be a place where crews looking for additional deck hands might gather, he walked through the door. He found a table without much thought as to where and carefully dusted off his wide brimmed hat as he sat down. It was important not to wear hats in doors, at least not if one was being respectful. He sat the hat aside, giving it a side long glance. Relaxing for the first time in awhile he leaned back in his seat, adjusting the sword at his hip to sit more comfortably at his side.

He was, not for the first time, uncertain of his decision to join a pirate crew. He needed the coin, certainly, but they got up to some stuff that could be pretty intense or worse, make a name for those involved. Can't stay here though. That was the truth of it. He could, technically stay here, but he didn't want to. He had sailing skills and he should put them to use. Besides that, life here was predicable. While he didn't mind not standing out, cultivated it even, he was tired of predictable. Also there was the debt he owed, it wasn't significant, no more in fact that most people owed, but he it would be a good way to pay it off faster. It was funny how common debt was, some days it seemed like the only people without debt were pirates, mercenaries, and the people who seemed to own everyone's debt.

Maybe that was the nature of a world where so many were so interesting. Any number of non-humans were running around, with clear pecking orders and distribution of resources. By the time it got down to the average person what was left but the promise of money, instead of its presence? He shrugged. It didn't much matter, that was the order of things. Right, back to the pirates. Let's see if we can find one here and ask for work. That would be the key and if there was anything he wasn't sure about, it was how to get a job with a pirate crew.

There was a flash of something in his eye as he pulled back - discomfort? Had she overstepped? Why hadn't he let go then? Whatever it was, as brief as the moment was, it caused Alys to pull back. She released his hand, but not without squeezing it lightly - a silent thank-you.

And not a moment after, she realized that perhaps it'd been premature. He agreed to her request, and to make matters worse, announced that they were to attend a masquerade. The smile on his face was devious, as it often was, and she was certain that the wheels were turning. She, however, remained uncertain, trying to make sense of his reaction and silently cursing Sky for putting her in this position.

That uncertainty didn't remain for long though. She was a creature of habit, burying down that emotion and replacing it with an equally smug smile. "I owe you a dance?" She repeated, raising a brow. "Only because you asked so nicely."

Her tone grew more serious. "You probably won't see his face - the one he wore with me, at least. Any experience with changelings?"

Perhaps Rielle was a bit more than they could handle. She seemed fun, that was certain, but she seemed to have a story for everything. If it weren't for the fact that Juniper could relate to the near inability to stay focused on any one trail of thought, they'd wholly regret every approaching the storyteller. As they began to prepare to answer her question, their eyes found Alys, clearly bothered, fleeing something, or someone, dockside. She regrouped with none other than Caleb, and they both vanished, back inside the Nox.

"The guards. Oh, and anyone from Allegria or Fen Manor, from the last month or so. If they ask, say you don't know anything- shouldn't be hard, you literally don't. At least, not from this side of the story." Already they were moving on, beginning to scan the crowd. What had Alys like that? It was uncharacteristic, and if it was something for her to worry about, it was something for all of them to worry about.

The changeling very suddenly felt as if they were being watched. It was intensely uncomfortable in the way that they only felt when they feared someone had figured them out. Like the way Emryk had looked at them in the storeroom, back in the ruined city. That feeling of being seen, and known. "I'd send you aboard alone but that'd be a good way to start a fight. I'll bring you on, and you can show yourself around after that. Or not, you seem like you tend to know what you want to do," Juniper said, still scanning the crowd as they began their own way onto the Nox.

Ciaran watched silently from the quarterdeck as Beck stepped off the Hard Nox and slipped into Leimor. In the moment, he thought he should've said something, but that would've only brought more hurt - at least that's what he'd have to tell himself.

The pain in his arm was back. It had plagued him ever since they'd left the Ice Wastes - the feeling of an arm that was no longer there. Sleep had been nearly impossible, and drink only helped slightly. He knew it was time to dry up, but he'd need help - but Emer was busy with a never ending series of patients, and Ciaran wasn't the kind to interrupt or wait idly. So Ciaran took to walking the city with gold in his pocket, seeing where he might find things he'd need or what would find him.

A masquerade ball would be perfect. They'd be away from the ship - away from Lucien, and with the perfect mask they'd easily go unnoticed by anyone who might know who they were. That included the person from Alys' past, the one they were supposed to show off to.

"A changeling." Caleb repeated, raising his eyebrows. He did have experience with a changeling for about a year and a half, but not with the kind who constantly changed faces. "How dangerous is he?" He asked, clutching his empty hand.

Sky's face turned back into the one of the bearded guard, and he watched from the avenue as Alys walked into a ship - a pirate ship, clearly, but not one he recognized from a distance. She was followed by a blonde and a redhead and Sky considered going after them, but decided there was an easier way.

The mustache once again disappeared and his chin shrinked. While he removed the jacket he'd stolen from a real guard his breasts grew bigger, and his dark hair trailed down to his hip. Sky was now a beautiful Fir Bolg woman, approaching the fir bolg man that had just walked down the ship.

"It's a beautiful ship. Is it yours?" She asked, looking between the man and the Nox.

He hadn't been off the boat more than a few minutes before a beautiful shapely woman approached him. A Fir Bolg this far from the Heartlands, surrounded by so much fog and stone and metal was a strange sight. Then again, the fae had taken his people all across their empire. It was just - he hadn't seen one of his own kind in such a long time, and especially not a woman.

Ah, yes. The ship. Not a "good to see you, deartháir", but maybe he was just antiquated. "In a manner of speaking." He answered with a smile. "It's nice to see another Fir Bolg this far from the Heartlands. Are you getting along well?"

"Oh, I always lie to the guards," Rielle offered, in a tone that was apparently meant to be reassuring. Usually people didn't find it to be so, but maybe things were different with pirates. "It's for their own good. Being a guard has to be terribly boring most of the time, so I always think a little story will lighten up their lives. I'm a right civic aide!" Fen Manor and Allegria, well Rielle didn't know if she'd know if someone were from there, but she supposed it didn't matter in the slightest. Why would it? What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, that's what! Sometimes things went differently than expected, but that didn't make them wrong! Why, it was perfectly fine to be different - that's what it said on the inspirational posters! Rielle knew this was true, because she'd written some of them! Of course, then the guards would go off about littering and unauthorized and whatever else they got on about when they had a beholder in their bonnet, but Rielle figured it gave them something to do.

"Speaking of posters-" They hadn't been, unless one counted what happened in Rielle's head, which obviously she did: "What was that one about the fancy party? Is that a thing you're going to? Have you got a good hat?"

Ah, well, there was her cue to leave the comfort of her room. Sighing as Caleb closed the door, Emer drew her shawl around herself. It was warmer here, so only one was needed now - and between the well-worn one that crested her shoulders for years of travel and the deep blue one that had yet to fray, she chose the latter. She tended to prefer things she had settled in to, but -

This one would wear in time, and already it held as much a weight in memories as the other.

Tightening it around her shoulders, she gathered her satchel as well. She wondered what the surprise had to be. Whatever it was, it had put Caleb in brighter spirits - by virtue of his own delight, or an expectation of hers?

It was nice to see him smiling, at least. He seemed to be settling into his new role well. Though, demanding her by his order rankled a bit. Later, she would have to lecture him on the importance of how you came across. Prouder folk might take such words as a challenge to their ego. Sinead often gave orders, of course, but she rarely used her rank to give the order force, especially not for things so trivial.

Stepping out onto the deck, she settled beside the door to the officers' quarters, Caleb and Alys' voices audible from inside. Best to give them privacy while they talked.

And if she overheard a little - what harm? It was good for her to know.

Her question was redirected with another question. One she didn't necessarily know how to answer, not without additional thought. "Compared to some of the psychotic bastards we already have on board? No. But he knows about me - about my past." Alys crossed her arms against her chest and leaned back into the chair, allowing the front legs to hover off the ground. "Fuck, I don't want him here," she groaned, tilting her head up to stare at the wooden ceiling. "He changes all the time - he could turn into anyone. I'm going to have to screen every single person on this damn ship... He could turn into you, for all I know." Maybe she was being paranoid, but going off the brief interaction she'd had with him - he still liked to play games. Except now they weren't on the same team.

Sky wasn't an expert on Fir Bolg culture, or any culture actually, but he had experience with making shit up on the fly. He nodded at Ciaran's greeting and gently offered him his hand.

"I'm Alicia." He said, and waited for a name in response. "Last time I was home I was an infant. Not a lot of memories made there, I'm afraid. Are you a traveler too?"

"He could turn into you, for all I know."

Caleb stood up and ran his fingers through his curls, thinking about what Alys had just said. It'd be too easy to infiltrate their crew if this person wished to do so, and the only person other than Alys who could maybe help identify him was Juniper.

"I can't stay here much longer, Emer's waiting on me. Talk to Juniper and te whoever else you run into to stay vigilant." He said, and later smiled. The conversation had taken an unexpected turn, but Caleb wouldn't let the changeling ruin his night.

"Meet me at sundown at a place named the Last Meal, wear a mask-" he stood behind Alys' chair, leaning down by her ear. "And when you meet me, ask me about the first time we slept together. You'll know if it's a fake."

Plus, it'd give her a chance to think about what could have happened - or might happen in the future, if she decides to give him a chance. Caleb opened the door to the office, surprised to see Emer was already waiting outside. He smiled at her.

"Shall we?"

The departure of the pirate captain left Ruby...ruffled. That was the only word for it. She did not want to leave her coin-collecting, or the fresh soup, which was as good as anything Julian made. She was not really hungry, so she picked at it a spoonful at a time while trying to catch the eyes of passers-by. Business began to slow as lunch passed, but she still searched the room for anyone willing to pay. Normally she would not seem so demanding, but she needed a distraction.

Something in her gut told her that the captain was a lying man. What was worse, her gut told her that the lying man had chosen honesty. There was Folk, somewhere, here in Leimor. Of course, numerically, there would be. The city was huge. But now that she knew, she could not banish the tight knot of shame.

There, him. Dusty hat, settled, looking for something or someone. The sweep of his gaze would make catching his eye easy, if it passed toward her. Her stare may be odd by most people's standards -- but then again, she had horns and feathers, and was seated beside a crystal ball. Maybe, if she was lucky, he'd think she had already determined his destiny, and that was why she had found him interesting, instead of blindly taking an opportunity.

“None.” Lucien said, as casually as if someone had asked him what color the sky was. “As you said, you are just a man. You stand no chance against a vampire, no matter how sloppy they are, nor how well trained you could be.” He took a sip and watched the pup back into a corner, setting his shield aside. His words seemed to have caused the pup to realize just how little it would do if Lucien actually meant him harm.

“That would kill most things, yes.” Lucien continued, answering the pup’s first line of questioning. He raised an eyebrow as the man recounted his experience with Naveen before grabbing one of his bottles and setting it on the counter. Whether it was an act of deference or merely the pup attempting to make himself useful, Lucien did not care, merely snapping open the neck of the bottle with a dull thunk and topping off his glass.

“The head and the heart are the primary locations to attack for a vampire. Anything less and they can most likely recover. You can always overwhelm the natural regeneration, but most men would fall before winning a war of attrition with a vampire.” This was all delivered with the dry tone of someone who knew all this already and was attempting to explain it to a small child who would not take ‘no’ for an answer. Lucien stared into his glass for a moment before glancing back at the pup.

“The ice magic is indeed a problem. The curses that Falmouth can craft could theoretically disrupt his magic or his vampiric ability, most likely only one or the other.” Lucien did not know the theory behind the curses or how exactly they worked other than through necromantic magic, although Falmouth could certainly give the pup a dissertation on how they worked. That would be something worth seeing, if only for his confusion and Falmouth’s frustration. Lucien chuckled softly at the thought.

“So was your interest merely in the academic, or did you wish to gain experience in a practical way?” Lucien’s voice gained an edge, a cold smirk barely tugging at his lips like a blade loosened in its sheath.

Alexander saw someone watching him, a lady with feathers and horns, and a crystal ball. He picked up his hat, running his fingers along the rim to straighten it a little more. After so many years of wear, and its one day adventure, it had some wear and tear on it. The woman had his attention, which she seemed to want by the prolonged look. He didn't put the hat on when he went to her, but carried it at his side. He drew a chair out across from her and sat down, resting his hat in his lap so as not to occupy too much of her table.

"I always wondered if those were fragile," he said, with a nod to the crystal ball. "Seem like they would be heavy. Is this a job you do, or something you do on the side?" He liked knowing what people did and listening to their stories more than he liked telling his own.

He knew what he was doing - the bastard; coming up right behind her, leaning down so that she could practically feel him on the side of her neck, and whispering that very last sentence. Alys knew it too, which was why she kept her gaze forward and continued to lounge in her chair, casual and seemingly unaffected. Even when he was gone, her eyes remained burned on a specific part of the wall, refusing to cave. But naturally, her mind began to wander, and soon enough her cheeks were ablaze and her fingertips dug into the thin, wooden armrests, an outlet for the frustration she felt.

Abruptly rising from the chair, she strode towards the small window and opened it to allow the cool air to chill her face. Instead, a plume of polluted air brushed against her skin, filling her lungs and causing the fae to wrinkle her nose. Gods, she hated this place.

Lingering by the window, enduring for the sake of her pride, Alys waited another minute or two. And then she left, closing the door after her. Caleb was gone, as was Emer - the top deck utterly empty. Apart from the familiar blonde and an unknown companion making their way onto the ship.

Interesting how Caleb specifically told her to seek out Juniper. It took her a moment, but a knowing smile appeared on her lips as her friend finally stepped on board.

Striding towards the pair, Alys found herself scrutinizing the newcomers appearance. "Juniper! Exactly the person I was looking for. Who's this?"

"Ciaran," he shook her hand, "I can't say I have many memories from there either." It was too common an occurrence for his kind.

"A traveler? You could say that, I'm just passing through - staying a night or two." She seemed kind and eager to ask questions - Ciaran didn't mind, it was hard being alone so often. It was his fault of course, but it didn't make it hurt any less. "Where do you make home?"

"Well, I was certainly planning on going, yes. Seems like the perfect distraction, honestly, and a wonderful way to relax after... everything." By this point, Juniper had elected to ignore at least half of what Rielle had said, if only for the sake of actually having a conversation. If they tried to follow all of it, they would inevitably get lost, and just end up stammering their way through the thing. That wasn't good for anyone. "I can't say I have a hat yet, though, no. I'm not really one for hats, honestly," they said with a shrug, and it was only then they noticed the feeling of being watched was gone.

Or, they noticed it was gone, because it came back all at once as Alys approached, her eyes set on the pair. Something in her smile made her wary, especially given how they'd just seen her just a few minutes ago. "Oh, uh, this is Rielle. A, uh, fresh recruit, I guess. I don't really know how I ended up doing that, but it's happened." Another shrug, though their eyes never left Alys' face, searching for whatever she was about to say. They'd not spoken much lately, so it was odd that they were exactly who she was looking for all of a sudden. "What did you need me for?"

Emer returned Caleb's smile with a warm one of her own.

Ah - she'd certainly suspected, and there'd been quite enough to suspect, but from the outside things had seemed tenuous. The way they'd talked to each other, though, seemed to suggest far more than a little fling. When had it started, then? After she'd saved him back at Fen Manor? Oh, that was a romantic thought.

And had the mention of a handsome guard in Allegria been a misdirection, then? They certainly seemed far inclined to keep their little dalliances secret.

"Of course, dear," the wisewoman replied, all thoughts of the aforementioned surprise forgotten. Following alongside Caleb, she leaned over, whispering out the corner of her mouth. "So - Alys, hm? She seems a nice girl. You would do best to treat her well."

Emer winked.

"But do not fret. I won't tell a soul."

Back