RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

Summer had seen weird before, but nothing as weird as that. It didn’t show in her face however, that held the same relaxed expression from before, while Nessa introduced them to the creature hiding in their creepy workshop.

“If it’s not too much trouble.” She said, pulling up the hem of her trousers to show the stump where her leg ended, a few centimeters over her ankle. One couldn't tell by looking how old it was, but it didn't appear to be recent. “I heard you are the outstanding tinkerer that can fix me a foot in no time. Or was that Hester? Sorry, too many names to keep track of.”

The threshold for what counted as too much trouble varied wildly from day to day. Recent factors would suggest that it should be particularly low today. Mal's response, on the other hand, would suggest that it wasn't.

"I want a word with whoever called me outstanding." They grumbled, "If they know me enough to know my skill, then they should damn well know I don't want it advertised."

A scowl fell neatly across their face, comfortable as it ever was.

"I'll give you a static one out of the goodness of my stolen heart, but anything more complicated will cost you- I don't care what the captain says about that."

Argent had fallen back, step slowing minutely as the trio neared the door. He seemed less interested in what lay beyond, less so than Summer at the very least, and more interested in Nessa. When the door was fully opened his attention turned to the carpenter, a series of quick blinks his indication of surprise.

Stitches and limbs, mismatched and patchwork horror, the Nox’s carpenter was nothing that could be expected. Perhaps upon the Teller Argent might not have blinked an eye, but even then such a sight would have been because the ship was so out the norm. He supposed the Nox was out of the norm as well with their motley assortment of crew. Idly he wondered what other surprises were in store as he raised a hand at Nessa’s introduction.

As they began discussing Summer’s request Argent was relived the question of “scraps” hadn’t been in reference to spare body parts, but otherwise found himself losing interest.

”I have a few coins on me, if you need it for your work.” He had sacrificed two gold at the meeting, but he had twice the silver and twice again the copper remaining. He never carried more than that amount away from the Cutter, though he might have dipped farther into his hidden coin had he anticipated this stint with another crew.

”Though, if your work runs too pricy I’m afraid I left my fortune on a different ship.”

A cheeky grin decorated Summer’s face, at the positive response from Mal. Flattery was a powerful tool when used correctly, and this time, it got Summer a free prostetic. Surprising her, Argent offered to pay for any additional fee the creature may ask for.

“What a gentleman.” She said, voice as smooth as silk. “How long will it take?” With the help of the crutch she moved forward into the workshop, sitting at the workbench unprompted so Mal could take the necessary measurements.

The taller of the man-things flung his pelt at her. With a surprised yowl, Pumpernickel leapt away, retreating across the counter to a higher perch above. There, she watched the pair with ire, tail flicking back and forth in a sharp, sinuous line. Fools.

Fools, the lot.

Their attention shifted back to each other. Slowly, the high priestess crept forward, stopping on the edge of the shelf.

"Mrowwr. Rowr."

They treat her like this, then ignore her? She would make certain they'd learn from that mistake. Inching closer, she pressed her paw against a shiny-thing beside, letting it wobble on the shelf. She'd learned from her time with her man-thing that shiny-things made quite a bit of noise when they fell. Even better that this one was full of liquid. It would prove a quite good attention maker.

She nudged it closer, closer, closer to the edge - and then it fell, shattering on the floor.

Emer was silent for a long while. She stared at Emryk, eyes wide, feathers up on end. When she spoke again, her words were a whisper.

"That is what you think?" She asked. She started moving again, more to busy her body still against her turbulent mind, gathering supplies, moving them to the side. "My kinship with Sinead was one of convenience? I was nothing but a tool to her?"

Emer had her back to him now as she flung open a cabinet quick enough to creak the hinges, setting a glass jar on the counter hard enough to risk cracking it. Still, her voice remained quiet, even. Unnaturally even.

"I knew her for a decade, Baron. Ten years. I have known you better a month. Yet in such time, you assume knowledge of who we were greater than my own. Oh, I - I -"

She yanked a bit of bloodroot off the cluster with a snap, and let out a short, sharp sigh.

"She was my sister. My confidant. I held her hand while she bled on the table, what from battle or childbirth. I heard things from her lips she told none else. I saw her in weakness, when she feared being nothing but strength. Time and again I saved her life, just as she had saved mine when she took me in, caked in dirt and worn from ceaseless wandering. I was given a place to shelter here. A place to finally rest. And - I know what sort of a place this is. I am not naive. I am not blind. But for all that, for what I am, I was accepted here without question, without derision. I was treated like family."

She pushed the bundled root into Emryk's hands.

"Chew this. Do not swallow."

She met his eyes. Hers were damp.

"You would be best to rest in your cot below, to recover your strength. I do hope I was convenient."

“If I do, they’re about to watch quite a show.” Caleb muttered through a smile, crossing the intruder out of his mind completely. There was no room for anything other than Alys and the moment they were sharing, and nothing in this world was going to take him away from it.

Almost nothing.

With the fall of his decanter from up the top shelf near them, Caleb instinctively leaned forward to protect Alys from the crash. The liquid splashed, wetting his leather boot and disturbing his nose with the strong scent of alcohol.

“This fucking cat!” He cursed, searching for it with daggers in his eye. If there was a gun in sight, he might have shot it, but luckily for Pumpernickel, there wasn’t one. “Give me one second.” He begged of Alys, taking a last tempted look before turning to capture the feline.

The taller man-thing was quick, but Pumpernickel was quicker. Darting back across the shelf - and successfully knocking two more shiny things off by brushing past them in the process - she leapt down to the window, then to the bed, where she turned around, tail in a sharp line above her head. Raising her haunches, she hissed.

"Hch-ch-ch-chh."

Then, fast as a dart, she disappeared, squeezing herself in the gap between the bed and the wall.

The anger welled within him anew. The Baron stood, abruptly-- towards the tail-end of her tirade, when she'd forced the root into his palm. He dropped it, meeting her gaze, his own eyes a picture of grief. But there were no tears, there.

Only a slow, dawning realization.

"She confided in you." He hadn't known that. "Ten years, you have been here. And you never thought to try and convince her to stop putting folk in cages? To stop slaughtering innocents? The Hard Nox never took prisoners. That was what he--" Emryk spat, pointing to the unconscious vampire upon the table, "-- had told me. And for ten years-- a decade-- you just..."

His snout curled into something approaching disgust. Disdainful, agonizing disgust-- the fury and pain and betrayal set deep upon the face. "... let it happen."

The tears welled in his eyes, now, the bridge of his snout twitching-- scales scrunched as nostrils flared, his voice a steady condemnation. He made himself a promise never to yield. His heart was loam, and his hand was stone; an accusatory, statuesque finger gestured to himself. "And after all I have done for you-- to dance with you, to confide in you, to fight to protect you-- you call... us. Convenient."

He took a step towards her. A lone clawed finger pointed, accusatorily, at the wisewoman. "Naveen threatened awful things. And Lucien-- what's to say he won't one day turn on the crew? And when you were kidnapped, I was the first to notice, the first to advocate for a search, and--"

Emryk stopped himself. He gave a deep breath. A deep, long breath, steadying himself upon the uneven exhale with a clench of his fists. He closed his eyes, nodded to himself, and walked past Emer to the door.

"No. You aren't naive, nor are you blind. I know that, truly, now." He looked to her. His expression was steady, the hurt concealed. "They might have treated you like family, but I wished to be yours."

And then he was gone, pushing through the doorway and out onto the deck. Shoving down the urge to sob, and focusing upon the wounds of his fight to ignore the deeper agony within.

If there were to be loud noises coming out of his room, Caleb didn’t expect this to be the cause of it. The animal was fast, faster than Caleb, and managed to destroy more of his things upon his escape. It was only a matter of time for someone to come check what was going on.

“Get the fuck out!” He hissed back, trying to keep the voice down despite the annoyance. Caleb jumped on the bed, catching nothing but loose fur and to make matters worse, making a fool out of himself in front of Alys. “I’ll toss you out the window if you don’t stop running, you fucking plague!”

He reached down to the narrow gap behind his bed, attempting to grab it by its tail.

Still perched on the table, Alys watched the scene unfold before her. It was certainly amusing; watching Caleb chase after the cat. Given the right circumstances, she might've stayed longer. But the subsequent crashes of his belongings, the hissing and cursing, well, it was bound to alert someone. And soon. With a quick glance towards the locked door, she decided that the risk of being caught, in such a compromising position, had outgrown the benefits of staying.

Attuned to both the impeding showdown and closed door, Alys glanced down and quickly adjusted her shirt. Then she was on her feet, avoiding the pooling deep brown liquid, until she was standing by the door. Caleb was still trying to get the cat out from beneath his bed. Holding back laughter, she placed a hand on the door knob and prepared to unlock the door. "This was fun," she said in a hushed tone. "Maybe next time you'll be more careful with who you let in the room." And then she began to slip away, taking solace in the fact that she didn't need to get far.

Last edited:
Caleb looked over his shoulder at the sound of Alys’ voice, catching a glimpse of the girl, completely clothed, standing by his room’s door.

“Wait, don’t-” but it was too late. She was gone, so was the cat and his room was a complete mess. He sat up, fingers tugging at his curls in frustration. “For fuck’s sake.”

He stood up, kneeling down to pick up the sharp pieces of crystal. Before he was done, there was a knock on the door.

“Captain, are you alright? I heard noises.” The man on the other side asked. Caleb opened the door, angrily staring at the poor elf on the other side.

“You didn't hear me ask you to come. Get out.” He said, but hesitated before closing the door at his face. “But now that you are here... Spread the news of a crew meeting at the mess hall in two hours. And next time, mind your own business.”

The door was slammed, and Caleb O’Cain resumed his cleaning duties. While he did that, thoughts of what those two hours could have been kept him entertained, interchanged with ways he could punish Julian’s pet for it's transgression. With the floor free of shards, Caleb tidied himself up and changed clothes, waiting an extra ten minutes before making his way to the mess hall fashionably late.

There were still people missing by the time he got there, but those who were already waiting didn’t seem surprised by the event. It wasn’t unnusual for meetings such as this to happen during Sinead’s time, and this one was long overdue, everyone was aware of it. Caleb hoped two hours had been enough for Julian to prepare something for them all to eat, meetings such as this tended to have a better outcome when pirates had their bellies full.

It was crowded inside; the crew brought together not only by the Captain's order, but the steady waft of something rich and savoury. Arriving ten minutes early, Alys had found a spot among the crew, loaded up her plate, and snagged a mug of ale. By the time he arrived, the mug was empty, the promise to get drunk tonight ever present in her mind. She'd try to pace herself, for now, but once the meeting was over, she'd be more than willing to drink through a bottle of rum.

The wisewoman was late.

Ignoring the food, she simply settled in the far corner of the mess hall, shawl draped tightly around her shoulders and her vision cast to the floor. There, she did not seek out others, simply waiting for Caleb to say his peace. She seemed haggard. Eyes swollen and dark, fingernails, what could be seen of them from beneath the shawl, faintly flecked with blood beneath their tips. There was a hollow absence in her dress pocket where a bracelet had once been -

But none of the crew would know that, save for the hound, were he to be awake.

--

Pumpernickel, on the contrary, had spent the last two hours at Julian's side, swiping scraps as he prepared the meal for the crew. Now, she strutted arrogantly on the kitchen counter, poking her head through the window with what could only be described as a smug grin, were cats capable of grinning, or of smugness.

Her attention settled on Caleb as she languished, tail flicking sinuously.

Almost as if taunting him.

By the smell of things, they had a new cook on board, which all things considered probably meant it was a successful time at port, rapid exit notwithstanding. Things were loud by the time she arrived, so she slid into the room on light steps. She found a nice piece of wall to lean against, amber eyes picking through the crowd. Depending on how long Caleb took to arrive maybe she’d pick out a distracted one? She’d been sloppy lately, and that was… she ran her thumb over the shape of the ring in her pocket, her lips dipping into a frown.

She took in another breath, the food smelled rich, a properly boiled broth perhaps — her mother had done a lot with scraps and bits to make even water with vegetables feel like it was more than it was, pork and onion, cooked just enough to bring out their flavor — and the salt of blood. Her breath felt shaky as it escaped her lips, and she plucked at the cloth around the ring. Emer also stood against the wall, her expression as dark as a pronouncement of fresh death.

Been a lot of that the last few weeks, hadn’t there?

Nessa’s lips parted to speak, but she hesitated. It was… the way she hunched her shoulders or stared at a piece of space which held no one that stilled her tongue. She was sweet on Emryk, no doubt to that, and with Lucien well, as cruel as he could be, they had spent twice the time together than even Nessa had. There was comradery in that. So, the words on her tongue changed, just a little.

You going to be okay?” Nessa asked, only as loud as it needed to be to carry a few feet above the din of the room.

The vampire did not hear the cries of the crew as they begged him and Emryk to stop their bloodbath. He saw not the Baron’s conflict written so plainly on his face, the desire to rip and tear and rend undead flesh from bone, to withdraw from Lucien’s account what he had robbed from Leo’s. He would no doubt have taken great pleasure in perverting the Baron’s morals, even at the cost of his own life. It had already cost him his body, the larger man actually holding his own against Lucien, doling out as much punishment as he had received, matching Lucien’s bestial nature with one of hsi own. But he did not have the chance to revel in that moment.

Lucien Kilta awoke within an all-too familiar manor. The family portrait stood at the top of the staircase, its frame charred and blackened, large claw marks through its center. The faces of all were obscured or rendered unrecognizable. His own was a charred mark, deliberately burned out. Lucien lashed out as he passed, his claws raking across the frame, upsetting it and sending it tumbling from its hook. The portrait toppled to the floor, hitting not with a crash, but with a gentle shoosh as it disintegrated into ash.

The man-shaped monster continued to ascend the staircase, a faint tapping echoing through the scorched and burned halls. Flakes of ash and burnt wood floated through the air on an unseen wind, blowing past the various trophies mounted upon the wall; a necklace composed of shining pieces of glass strung together; a glassy face mask, half-melted, perpetually dripping; a pair of brilliant, blazing orange fairy wings, proudly mounted on display. Lucien gave these a sneer as he passed, finally reaching the top of the steps.

A massive pair of double doors stood before him, ornate and ruined. Beautiful wood with silver filigree, now blackened, charred, and barely holding together. Standing in front of the doors was a small girl. She must have been no older than 16 years, certainly not Delilah. She looked up at him with pleading orange eyes that grew even wider as Lucien smoothly drew his blade and stabbed it within her heart, piercing her body and pinning it to the door behind. The light had no sooner left her eyes than the doors swung open, silent as a tomb, dragging her corpse with them. Lucien stepped inside, beholding all the room had to offer.

It was a chair. High-backed, ornate, comfortable. Black and silver whorls decorated it, flame-licked wood blending with stains of varnish and blood. Lucien took his seat, arms settling on the rests. He glanced down, feeling something beneath his right hand. Perched atop the rest, right where his hand sat, were two warm, polished copper coins. He picked them up, clutching them tight before tossing them away, a harsh noise heralding their exit.

And so the Lord of Scraps surveyed his domain, his ruined kingdom, and all that he had destroyed to reach his throne. And his mad laughter echoed in its silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucien awoke with bleary eyes squinted against whatever light dared to stab at him. He heard the quiet shuffle of fabric and feathers, and if the hard table against his back did not confirm his suspicions about being within the wisewoman’s clinic, the pungent scent of various roots and herbs provided more than enough evidence. Not wishing to endure a scolding from Emer that managed to bore more than intimidate him, Lucien slipped out with unnaturally quiet steps, although he could do nothing about the blasted door creaking open and shut.

He had slunk back to his chambers, the call of whistling wind informing the vampire that they had taken to the skies. Presumably his little row with the Baron had caused enough uproar that the ship had been forced to leave. No doubt he would be getting an earful from O’Cain about that later.

Lucien grimaced at the state of his chambers, clearly someone had thought it funny to erect a sheet covering the Al-Ashtavahk-sized hole in his wall, as well as one across the doorway to provide some form of privacy. He would have to speak to Mal and get this taken care of quickly. Lucien began putting his quarters back in proper order, snapping the neck of one bottle and drinking from it directly. As the blood hit his tongue, it was as though he had only previously been half-awake. His senses returned, vision sharpened, hearing cleared. Lucien could feel the uncomfortable scrape of bandages around his hand and a new weight around his wrist that was not there before.

He yanked back his sleeve to reveal the offending article: a bracelet of bone, firmly clasped around his wrist. Lucien snarled, knowing there was only one such person aboard this ship who could construct such a thing. Had the necromancer really been cowed by O’Cain to affix something to his person? Did he have a matching one that tightened whenever Lucien was close enough to bury his fangs in the fairy’s neck? He would have to have words with her.

The news of a crew meeting had reached his ears, some poor soul attempting to knock on the curtain like it was a door. He delivered his message and quickly scurried off, his heart nearly beating out of its chest. It was good to know that there were at least still some aboard this ship who feared him. Then again, after watching Lucien go head to head with a man of the Baron’s stature perhaps some formerly brave souls had been reduced to cowards. Wonderful.

Lucien discarded the bandages quickly, the blood within his system working to worm the shards of glass out and seal the wounds. He polished off the first bottle and cracked open a second, savoring this one a little more. The first one had been to sate his hunger, this was for his enjoyment. As he set his desk back upright, Lucien found the journal he had found what felt like a lifetime ago, left in the pocket of his cloak. It had fallen page side down, and when he lifted it up he flipped through it absently, until his eyes were drawn to the sketch of a certain ring. The notes were worrying, and something nagged at the back of his mind.

Lucien changed into fresh clothes, ones that were not doused in splinters and liquid copper. He had washed, and for all intents and purposes had reinstated his regular refined appearance. Tucking away a flask of some of his more flavorful mead, Lucien whispered through the halls of the ship, arriving in the mess as it was already quite full. Yet somehow he still managed to slip in unnoticed by all, aiming for the far corner. He spotted two figures there already, one whom he wished to speak with and the other whom he was surprised to see without larger company.

“I was surprised to wake at all.” Lucien muttered, slipping onto Emer’s other side. “I thought the Baron would have ended me in his rage, or that you would have finished the job.” Lucien flexed his hand, barely any blemish in the skin where only hours ago there had been several large shards of glass. “Am I correct to assume you tended my wounds?”

Caleb counted the heads in the room, most of them turned to him, waiting for something to be said. Being captain had its perks, but public speaking wasn’t one of those.

He served himself some ale to dilute the nervousness, sipping on it by the time the cat jumped on the counter. It mocked him, he knew it did, about what had almost happened that no one but them and Alys knew about. He’d seen her, but didn’t look at her for a second longer than he had anyone else. It’d be better this way. As it'd be better not to lose his temper because of a pet.

Ignoring Pumpernickel, Caleb’s eye scanned the room again and his heart nearly stopped at the sight of a black cape that he hadn’t noticed before, standing close to Emer and Nessa. He looked perfectly fine, as if he hadn’t nearly died a few hours ago. Goosebumps washed over Caleb as he tried to slow down his breath, and try to catch a glimpse of a bracelet that was supposedly in one of his wrists. He was too far away to tell, and some of the men seemed to have started to lose their patience.

“You know why I called everyone here.” Caleb started, faking more confidence than he felt. “There’s a lot to be said, and many conflicts to be resolved.” He breathed in. “Lucien Kilta. Raise your hands.”

In a stall in the washing room, Summer tried to make as little noise as possible. She had managed to snatch some bandages from Mal’s workshop while they were busy at work, and the bloody ones were at the bin next to her, who leaned against the wall with her pants on the floor.

No one would notice if she came in a little late for the meeting, she was new and most of the crew hadn’t even seen her face yet.

She wrapped the clean bandages tightly around the bullet wound on her right thigh, and when that was done, she pulled her pants back up. Despite the good work Mal had done with her foot, she’d rely on the crutch for a few more days, using the excuse that it takes a while to adapt, despite how ergonomic the piece of wood was.

Touching her prosthetic foot on the floor as lightly as possible, she made her way to the mess hall with her head lowered. It was full of people already, but one person in particular caught her eye.

“Where can I get one of those?” She asked, sitting next to Alys and gesturing to her empty mug.

Argent had parted ways with the carpenter and the cripple, astoundingly bored by the creation of the prosthetic and making an excuse for the head as he slipped away from the bottom of the ship. He had half expected the waif to follow him, something of her demeanor telling him that doing so would likely be an easy matter for her. Whether she watched him from hiding or had deigned to let him be was anyone’s guess, but he imagined Nessa would be quite bored as well if her eyes were on him.

He had returned to the top deck first, simply taking stock of what there was to see. The tour he had asked after had given him little of what he wanted to see; the inside of a ship was mostly the same as any other. The crew that bustled around him as he leaned against the rail, however, told him much more than he had gained from Nessa. Most were busied with maintaining their flight, but a few figures cut themselves amongst the rest by their actions and attitude.

The first to catch his eye darted between groups of working men with hurried words, a touch of nervousness and fear adding haste to already quickened steps. Some of the crew spat on the deck at his words, faces twisted with disdain for whatever message he had delivered. Argent let the curiosity pass, let the man run across the deck to and fro without interruption. Whatever word he delivered would reach Argent’s ears in due time, and there was another more prominent figure that caught his pale gaze.

Lucien Kilta was more than likely the most infamous of the pirates associated with the Nox, and his initial absence had been noted well before he emerged from the clinic decorated in clean white bandages and copper and crimson stains. Argent was no fool, and made no move to intercept the monster as it made its way across the deck to the officer’s quarters opposite. He wasn’t sure who Emryk was, or why the two had fought to a point that the Nox had to hastily retreat from Leimor. What he was sure of, beyond a shadow of a doubt, was that Lucien had gotten his fair share of damage from the skirmish.

A soft sound of pensive consideration followed Lucien’s disappearance into his cabin. The messenger seemed to have noticed the vampire’s appearance as well and darted after him. If his steps were hurried before he delivered his message to the Navigator they were doubly so on his return. Fearful eyes darted around, surveying the crew left on deck before settling on Argent. The silver haired elf knew the expression the crewman sported well enough, the deliberate and galvanized steps that took the man to him just as telling of his intention. Argent was a new face, and unworthy of the fear that had so far colored the man’s every motion.

”Hey, you!” The man’s voice was harsh, as if he were commanding a dog rather than speaking to another person. ”What’re ya standin’ round for? Cap’n called a meeting in the mess, all the crew gotta be there. If you got nothin better to do then get goin.” There was no fear in his voice now, only bravado and disapproval. Argent probably wouldn’t have been any happier to see someone lounging about on the Cutter.

”Sure that applies to me?” Argent shot back nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders and making a show to look around the approaching man. There wasn’t anything to see, but he wasn’t going to play at being cowed by someone so obviously low in the pecking order.

The man sneered, chin raised high to look at Argent down his nose. ”New or not you better get down there ‘fore- What’re you! Hey!” The man stammered, that fear he had shown to nearly every other person on the deck returned as Argent shoved his pistol beneath his offered chin. It wasn’t primed, unable to fire though the crewman had no way of knowing that.

”New or not,” Argent replied in an even tone. ”I’m not your whipping boy. Speak to me like that again and I will give this ship a nice red paint job at your expense. Savvy?” The man gulped, a short nod showing he had gotten the message clearly before Argent’s pistol returned to his waist. Almost gently the elf brushed a bit of lint from the man’s shoulders. ”Good. Now run along and finish your task.”

Argent hadn’t been in any rush to get to the mess. The smells wafting through the door were fantastically inviting despite the hearty meal he had taken only hours before. Still, he hesitated by those doors, scanning those inside and noting a good number of the wanted posters in living color already assembled. Even the vampire had made it before him, and as O’Cain called out for his Navigator to raise his hands Argent slipped through the doorway, settling just to the side of it so that he could better observe the meeting and those in attendance. If anyone caught notice of him he would offer a polite nod, but he had little intention of leaving his post next to the door.

The longer time dragged on, the deeper the agony drew. In the end, his travels took him to the officer's hall, shouldering open the door with a bottle of wine and sitting at the table with a soft grunt. Ironic, that he ended up beside the clinic; he paid the notion no mind-- or, at the very least, tried to-- and settled himself with a deep sigh. It was a bottle he had saved for the wisewoman; the intent had been to share it with her once they had returned to the dance.

Odd, how so much could change in a night.

There was hardly a reason to waste it now. The corkscrew he'd saved was procured, used, and discarded; with the soft rise of vapor from the neck, Emryk gave a hearty swig of the bottle and frowned. The dread was still a rock in his gut, but the worst had passed, it seemed. No tears. Did that make him a bastard too, then? He supposed he would add it to the list. Another swig; another regret quashed. Another doubt left festering, but numbed.

He finished his first bottle, and set his sights upon a second within a case at the far wall of the officer's hall. By the time he'd finished, he was pleasantly-- if not majorly-- drunk, though he knew how to hold his liquor well enough. There was only a slight waver to his step as he moved back out onto the deck; only a slight vacancy to the eyes that would've been mistaken as any other desensitized apathy. The Captain was holding a meeting. In the mess hall. How joyous. Was he to be given a proper slap on the wrist for nearly taking care of the blood-sucking elephant in the room? That would certainly go over well.

The quartermaster was one of the last to arrive. His scales seemed a shade warmer than usual, though perhaps that was just the crimson that'd since dried to his scales-- or the swelling of his wounds. Emryk steadied himself on the doorway and ducked in, staying to the edge of the frame and leaning against it with his arms crossed. His gaze was unreadable as it swept the room, looking for the woman he knew was here, too. And then he found her. Emer. All at once, the memory of their fight-- her admission, and his appeal-- came rushing back. She looked tired. Ragged. Awful.

His gaze lingered upon her-- and, miraculously, he felt nothing.

The guilt was numbed. The sadness was buried beneath ache and the pleasant hum of inebriation, medicating his grief to the point of stupor.

It didn't hurt, anymore. Good. With any luck, it'd stay that way. His gaze found Caleb, ignoring all else. Far more important things to focus on, now, and he needed to have his remaining wits about him.

Fashionably late, and fortunately for him, without a scratch on his face, Caleb arrived and immediately commanded attention. He didn't spare her a second glance, thank fuck, though the fae kept her gaze on him, shoving back her distracting thoughts, until he addressed Lucien. Alys looked over her shoulder, gaze settling on the vampire, who looked completely untouched - the very same as he had down in the brig that morning. His wrists remained covered, leaving her - and Caleb - to wonder if Emer had managed to shackle him. Her jaw tightened at the uncertainty, at the missed opportunity of finally being rid of him, when she felt a presence sit down beside her.

She turned towards the woman, and then in response to her question, locked eyes with a crew mate who stood beside one of the casks. Jutting out her chin, small smile playing on her lips, she silently requested for a new mug. A moment later, two overflowing cups were placed beside them, froth dripping down the cool surface, pooling on the wooden table. She didn't yet know if it was because she'd been one of them not too long ago, or perhaps because she smiled sweetly and allowed them to look, but Alys found herself settling into the officer role smoothly. For now.

"I'm Alys," she said quietly, taking a healthy sip while glancing back towards the scene unfolding before them.

Back