RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

Emer's eyes glossed over the table, finally settling on a white wine brimming with bubbles. Taking a glass from the man behind the table, she took a sip, then turned to Emryk with a wide smile.

"Baron, try this." She held the glass out for him. "They seemed to have put stormclouds in a bottle."

At his question, though, her face fell a little, and she seemed to hesitate, attention shifting to the ballroom floor. Here at the periphery, things were calmer, but there - well, that was the main attraction, was it not? One went to a ball to dance. Adjusting her mask, she shook her head.

"I am not a dancer, Baron. I do not think that is very wise."

Emryk couldn't help but offer a small chuckle as Emer partook in the finer offerings of Leimor, his mirth a deep-seated roiling within the chest as his snout curled into a soft smile. With a delicate grip of forefinger and thumb, he took the sparkling wine and gave a sip-- allowing himself the comfort of nostalgic reverie as the crackling bittersweet dream cascaded over tongue and whetted the mind.

"The Floating Isles would have parties grander than this, you know. Large pyramids of narrow-necked glasses, precariously stacked atop one another," Emryk muttered, holding the glass out in front of him as if to appraise the luster of the crystal to his memories. Everything shone brighter at the capital, he remembered. A veil, perhaps, but a thoroughly enchanting one nonetheless. "Like a fountain, almost. Crackling wine sourced only from the finest vintners." He smiled, and handed the glass back to Emer-- allowing her to drink as he settled in beside her, took a glass for himself, and stood with his back to the table to watch the party from afar.

"My father owned a vineyard, you know." It had been the reason they'd even been allowed near the Floating Isles in the first place, beast-kin as they were said to be. Winemaking was, apparently, a more civilized practice for the Fae to condone. "The Vakaan name and fortune was owed to an ancestral vineyard, passed down to me from my father, and to him from his father..."

His eyes seemed to crease with a bit of forlorn melancholy, for a moment, but the mirth returned as he glanced to the wisewoman. "Even as the Fae arrived, the vineyard thrived; my father was a diligent worker, mind you, so it would not have continued to operate without his expertise. It was his pride and joy-- I never quite understood it, myself. When the time came for me to inherit, it all just sort of... withered. Faded." A sigh. "And so, when the Fae withdrew and their mines dried up, it was a shadow of itself. Still beautiful, mind you, even after all these years." Emryk took her hand, and gave a soft squeeze. Once again, his gaze returned to Emer, shining with softly-veiled dolor that was quelled by her presence. The flow was staunched, and his smile boldened. "I would love to show you, one day."

They grinned in response to the mans remark, drawing to a stop a few paces away, enough to talk but not close enough to crowd the pair. Not yet, anyways.

They were buzzed, for sure, anyone could tell from even half a glance, but despite the impairment, from this close, they were almost certain. The woman with him- the man they'd approached- was the same one from the Nox. They'd been told about her, and personal feeling aside, they knew it was trustworthy information. There'd been a scuffle, and Ronan had gotten in the way. She had a staff, a cane, and relied on it quite heavily. Other people at the party had canes, but none of them held them so closely, and stared off in the middle distance like that.

"Ah, truly a shame. Trouble's one of the best dance partners, from past experience," they said, taking another sip. The glass, emptied now, was handed off to a footman, and they focused as best they could on the conversation. They looked between... oh, Caleb had been talking to this one earlier, hadn't he? They hadn't been introduced. They looked between him, and the pair, and shrugged, a response to both. "I suppose either would work, but it would be a shame to leave without a dance, yes?"

Alexander smiled a little, listening to the conversation and the way people moved their words around one another. With the two of them approaching the other pair, it seemed no one had spoken directly to anyone. Parties, and people, were funny that way. He thought about the comments on dancing and his smile faded a fraction. He hadn't danced in a long time. He wasn't about to break that vow here.

"I'm afraid I don't do any dancing these days," he said. "I prefer conversation, and to observe others enjoying a good dance. Is everyone having a good time? It felt unusual to say everyone, but he was talking to three people after all, at least until someone narrowed it down. He genuinely hoped they were enjoying their experience. Everyone deserves a good party once in awhile.

Ah, they had forgotten how easy it was to get distracted on the Nox- especially with damage as simple as this. The scratches were skin-deep, which meant they could take their time making sure they were perfectly patched-up, rather than having to worry about time-consuming things like longevity and structural integrity. Reticent as they were about the matter, Mal really did find this sort of thing relaxing. Calming. Therapeutic. An uninterrupted stint at the side of the ship was just about the only time they could feel at peace. Even now, with the prisoner in the back of their mind, they were relaxed- no, they were... enjoying themselves.

Then, the thread snapped.

----

He had severed the tie, thus blinding the machine, but the rest of his prayers went unanswered. Rather than moving, the first thing it did was fire a crossbow bolt at whatever was directly in front of it, aiming to catch Ronan if he had stayed still for too long after his ill-conceived attack. Then, it would listen; listen for any footsteps, any breathing, any screams.

Should it find any, the machine would launch itself in their direction, aiming to impale the source with its forelegs.

They smirked, and took the offered hand graciously. This one knew well how to talk. He seemed he knew how to handle himself, and there was little doubt in their mind he would know how to dance, too. A perfect warm up, to see if they could still remember the steps, or if they could while intoxicated.

"Well, preferably, you wouldn't have to give a name. But if you feel the undeniable need, Eliza."

Ronan ran towards the stairs, the spider's arrow missing him by a second and leaving him with nothing but a stingy cut on his right arm. He found the handle and slammed the door behind him, jumping back when the spider's legs pierced through the wood like spears. If he hadn't closed the door, it would have been his torso.

"HELP!" The johtunn shouted, a voice so loud he would be heard anywhere below deck. With his legs shaking and trousers wet, Ronan stood up and kept running, towards a friendly face or the way out of the ship, whichever came first.

Naveen heard a cry for help coming from two stories below but ignored it, staring up at the man in front of him while he said his piece. The conversation had taken an interesting turn, unexpected. Despite the words Leo said to him, he felt the human wasn't as sure of his beliefs as he tried to let on.

"You don't have to be a weak man." He said. "I'll turn you, Leo, and I'll let you live. I'll make you feel what it's like to not be beneath anyone, to have time to experience everything that you want - or anyone that you want." He smirked. Perhaps Leo would be tempted to follow the source of the scream, or maybe he would kill him at last. Whichever it was, Naveen felt that he didn't have much time. "All you've got to do is let me go and I'll leave your ship and not hurt anyone of your crew - until we meet again. I swear it over my Good Captain."

Slowly, slowly, Nessa’s chest rose and fell with long breaths as her eyes drifted closed with a flutter of lashes. She could hear footsteps out in the hall, a distant almost dull noise. That was strange was it not? She’d have thought that everyone would have gone off to the dance, Mal aside. The steps came to a stop outside the door, followed by a quick knock.

Mmh?” a wordless murmur escaped her as she opened her eyes a peek. Someone at the door was it? Nessa released a breath as she lifted herself up onto her elbows. Presentable? She could feel silk at her fingertips, the rolling cloth of her dress.

Aye, I am.” Nessa said, her voice low, as she ran the back of her hand over her eyes. She frowned. “Hah? Do you hear someone yelling?

—————

Now had that been directed at anyone? It seemed to answer her question but it didn’t feel like it had been directed at anyone at all. Aamir clearly had his sights set on the girl, Eliza was it, and his intentions were never not clear. What it was Eliza was looking for, Winter hadn’t the slightest notion, but if she were looking for trouble then she’d found some for herself. This other man though, he seemed content to address the air between them all, which was hard to read.

Oh? As long as there’s good drink I’m content.” Winter said, with a tilt of her head. “Though, if you haven’t come to dance then is there anything you’ve come to talk about?

The guard began to sputter, just about ready to defend himself from the husband’s preposterous claim of wanting the woman to undress here, when his Lady herself, interrupted the small gathering atop the stairs. His cheeks darkened about fifty shades and he opened his mouth to explain, before being shut down by her sharp order. Thankfully, he displayed nothing more than the happy illusion portrayed on his mask.

Slowly, he closed his mouth and regained his composure, turning to the pair. The woman looked only to her doting husband, chest rising and falling rapidly as she gasped for air. He, the man with the ridiculously large hat (was he compensating for something?) now held her in his arms, just about ready to plow him down to get her away from the party.

“Follow me.” He responded, turning and leading them down the restricted hallway. His partner, who stood guard on opposite side of the door took the rear, following the pair and his nosy Lady, who shuffled after the party hastily.

Lady of Goswick. Goswick.

How the fuck did he know?

Alys couldn’t hide the look of shock as he partially lied through his teeth, proclaiming her as the Duchess of her hometown. No one knew about Goswick - no one. Thankfully, her shock was partially hidden by her mask, and the rest, hopefully attributed to the outrage of loosening her corset here, before the rest of the ball.

Chest still rising rapidly, hand clutching her side, Alys was in no believable state to fight off Caleb as he hoisted her into his arms. Her shoulder ached from the movement, but she clung on unhappily, suddenly a completely useless damsel in distress.

As they began to move down the hall, her thumb and pointer finger pinched his upper arm, a silent fuck you for deciding to carry her off like dead weight. Head resting against his shoulder, her breathing continued to escalate, becoming shallow yet rapid, as if she were becoming desperate for air.

Thankfully, they didn’t walk far - just down the hall and around the first corner. There must’ve been a dozen doors passed at this point, all shut and concealing the rooms behind them. Finally, they stopped before one; the guard opened it to reveal something of a sitting room. Likely one of many.

“Perhaps she needs a doctor?” The guard once again offered. “Or at the very least, a handmaid?”

All Alys' pinch on his arm managed to do was to let out the smile Caleb had been holding. He returned to his frown quickly, before the guards and the starstruck madam noticed the sudden shift. His ears caught the footsteps of the man behind them, probably armed with a sword like the first one, and the pirate captain patiently waited for the moment to drop the act.

"Of course she needs a doctor, are you blind?!" Lady Gobhaim yelled. "Go fetch one!"

She pointed at one of the guest bedrooms, expecting one of her useless guards to open the door. As soon as it was opened Caleb barged in, laying Alys down at the massive bed that took over most of the room. There were a couple of armchairs beneath the window and a dresser with an expensive looking vase with fresh flowers. Caleb knew those flowers were changed every other day, even if nobody stayed in that room.

"Let's try not to make too much of a mess." He whispered, taking Alys' dominant hand and guiding it to his lower back, more precisely to the pistol hidden behind his cape. On the vase's reflection he could see the old woman approaching the couple and the guard that was left waiting by the door.

Last edited:
"Preferably, I wouldn't be talking to the guards at all," Aamir stated, with definitive amusement. "But should it come to pass, I prefer to have my stories straight. And my alibis." He moved them towards the dance floor, taking one more drink of rather good wine before setting the glass down on the tray of a passing servant.

Dancing was easy enough, it was one of those skills that impressed the young women if you could do it correctly - or, in some cases, at all. He had made sure to learn how to do it correctly, because he was hardly one to lose out to someone who had bothered to practice. At least, in some matters. A quick little spin put his partner in his arms, though loosely, because holding someone too tight on a first meeting was likely to remove the potential of furthering that meeting.

"So, Eliza, what brings you to this party?" If Eliza was the right name, he would be quite shocked, but he was more wondering if she'd tell the truth or if she'd lie again. That was, of course, why he'd asked her to lie for him in the first place. It was a good idea to get a feeling for it up front, so that you knew how much trouble you were in later on.

He was definitely getting fired for this. Yelled at by his Lady twice now, personally, the guard couldn't be happier to take his leave, even temporarily. He left the room and closed the door, setting off in search of the doctor, leaving behind his colleague to suffer in the madness alone.

---

She wasn't sure what was going on until she felt the hard object strapped to his back, hidden beneath his cape. Paired with his quiet words, Alys couldn't stop the thrill that ran up her spine. It took some effort to keep from smiling, while maintaining her act, and finding a way past his cape. Once the gun was in her grasp, and the Lady close enough, just a mere foot or two away, Alys drew the weapon and pointed it directly at the old woman. After the briefest of pauses, the fae spoke.

"Either of you moves or makes a sound, and we're all watching her bleed out on this fucking floor." The corners of her lips began to lift, until the sweetest of smiles appeared. Her gaze drifted to the guard who stood by the door, his hand practically twitching towards the sword at his hip. "Careful."

Cocking her head to the side, she rose to her feet slowly, keeping the pistol alarmingly steady despite the movement. "If you want to live, you'll do exactly as my darling husband says."

The woman really should've been more careful about who she invited into her home.

The giant child that had guided the crew from the ice caves had stuck around, and with lungs as large as the ones he bore Leo had heard his voice enough throughout the ship to immediately place the cry for help that came muffled through the boards below. Though the room they were in was built to keep the bulk of the heat, and any potential stray flame, from the rest of the ship the panic in the giant’s voice was still apparent.

And it seemed to set Leo on edge.

”You would give me that power knowing the next time we meet would be your doom and your Good Captain’s?” Though he stood and returned to his blade his eyes continued to dart toward the door. ”If I release you what is to stop you from killing me instead and having your way with my friends?” The giant child was still a giant, and anything that could threaten such tremendous strength would take down a human easily.

Leo whipped the tip of his weapon to Naveen’s throat, leaning in close enough their noses nearly touched. ”If I killed you here and now my friends would also have their safety guaranteed.” Suddenly he retreated, returning to the cask that had served as his seat to this point, but instead of sitting he lifted it to his shoulder, pulling the cork from its top.

”I borrowed this from Ciaran,” he offered by way of explanation as he sloshed the liquid inside over Naveen. He was being generous in saying that he had borrowed the cask. After spying Juniper leaving Ciaran’s cabin with a bottle beneath their arm he had slipped in as well, snatching the cask from the Master Gunner’s considerable supply to ensure he had enough. The smell of rum mingled in the air with the scent of the smoke.

”See I found out this stuff catches on fire really easy, and you really don’t seem to like the heat, do you?” Leo splashed the rum directly into Naveen’s face. ”I figured if I couldn’t make fire out of nothing like Juniper…” The cask was empty, and Naveen well and soaked. Leo tossed the empty barrel aside and leaned in close again.

”You will do what needs to be done, and you will leave this ship immediately without even a whisper to anyone. The next time our paths cross will be when I tear your captain apart, and Lucien feeds you your own black heart.” Leo withdrew the wooden spoon from his pocket, and returned to the furnace to set its head alight.

He knew each step was leading him closer to a horrible decision, and it was unlikely that Naveen would hold true to his word. But the vampire valued his captain nearly as much as Lucien did his. The chance that Naveen had sworn true was there.

”I will light you up if you try anything,” Leo started undoing the bonds of rope and chain around the vampire’s body. He wasn’t as important as the rest of the crew; he only cleaned the floors and caused trouble. If he had been stronger against the crystal chimera, faster in the gemstone cavern, maybe he would have been worth more, could have done more.

Ciaran immediately took Alys, he could never doubt her. "Who?! Where is he? I'll find him, I'll -" Ciaran paused, there was no need to have an outburst here, especially not while his friend was struggling.

He brought her upright and looked down on her with kind eyes. "What do you need, Alys? I'm at your call," he let her lean herself against him and began to walk them towards the doors - perhaps some air would do her good.

Her gaze soured a bit at mention of the floating isles and their lavish parties.

"You'd think with such excess, they'd find contentedness, but perhaps it was only to feed a void that could not truly be filled," she muttered, swirling her glass and taking another sip of the sparkling wine.

As the Baron continued to talk, however, her face softened once more, gentle smile touching her lips as she rested a hand on his shoulder.

"I am certain it is lovely," she replied, letting her hand shift down settle into his, squeezing it back in turn. "Perhaps - when all this is over, we can make it flourish again, hm? I am not the most knowledgeable of tending to such things, but there is little in this world a gentle hand and a bit of care cannot resolve."

Sipping the last bits from her glass, she set it aside, leaning into the Baron and tightening her grip on his hand.

"Alright. I think - I think I would not mind a dance. But I must warn you, I have all the grace of fresh foal."

"You've heard my beautiful wife," Caleb said, pulling a small knife from his boot. "Step away from the door and raise your hands. If you try anything she's gonna put a bullet in your head, and we don't want that." He told the guard. It was true, he didn't want that. A gunshot would be heard from the stairs and attract people, and more people only meant more trouble.

"Don't let him take your sword, you coward!" Fight him!" Lady Gobhaim complained, watching Caleb do just that. Despite the challenging tone in her voice, her hands were high up in the air and she didn't dare to do anything that could convince the fake duchess to pull the trigger. Caleb tossed the guard's sword on the opposite side of the room.

"Good. Now take your pants off."

While the guard undressed, the host complained and Alys held them at gunpoint, Caleb opened a drawer and began tearing up the sheets with his knife, later using the fabric to tie up the two hostages to the bed and shut their mouths. One of the lady's gloves hanging from the door handle should prevent anyone from going in, and if they did they'd find trousers on the floor and groans and moans of people shaking under a blanket before figuring out what was actually going on.

"Ladies first." Caleb said after the job was done, holding the door open for Alys. The hallway was empty but the guard would soon come back with a physician, so they'd have to hurry and find what they were looking for.

”If I release you what is to stop you from killing me instead and having your way with my friends?”

Nothing. Naveen's initial plan was to simply trick Leo into releasing him and rip his head off, but he was weak, hurt, and what he had said earlier was a lie. He wasn't prepared to die. For a moment while liquor poured down his hair, cooling him down at the same time it prepared him to be set on fire, Naveen thought he wouldn't have the chance to even try, but his pitch did the trick. He'd leave the Nox and be true to his word, but not without a parting gift.

Naveen waited patiently for Leo to untie him before standing up. He locked eyes with Leo, walking slowly towards him.

"I was wrong about you." Naveen said, reopening the wound on his lip after it had already closed. A drop of blood ran down his hairless chin, out of the left corner of his mouth. The one still covered by skin. "You're full of surprises."

It wasn't a kiss. Naveen and Leo's lips touched, but the vampire's fangs sank into the flesh of Leo's lip and there was nothing romantic to how much it would have hurt. He sucked the blood out of Leo, before giving him the opportunity to do the same. He wouldn't have noticed that even though he was very weak Naveen still had enough power to cool the air around the wooden spoon, putting away the fire. After he felt like it was enough, Naveen's hands went up both sides of Leo's face and snapped his neck, before watching his body fall to the floor.

"We'll meet again, Leo." Naveen said, though it was unlikely he would have heard him. His blood was in him and next time Leo opened his eyes he wouldn't be human anymore. And he'd be so very hungry.

Now, that was easy. Either Sky's acting was perfect, which was very much a possibility, or this guy cared enough about Alys that his concern over her was stronger than any suspicion. That stung a little bit, but Sky pushed the feeling away. His part wasn't over yet.

"I woke up in a room, I don't remember much before it, just- a man wearing a peacock mask." Sky muttered, avoiding to look him in the eyes as if she was too fragile to. When they got out to the garden he sat on a bench, his hands fidgeting with the torn apart fabric of his skirt.

"I-I don't know what happened, Ciarán." Fake Alys' voice cracked. He acted like he couldn't remember, but the implication was there along with a lonely tear sliding down his cheek.

Last edited:
“You still see me as a lady, even after that? How generous of you.”

They stalked down the silent hallway together, each step taking them further away from the ballroom, and hopefully, closer to the Lady’s private chambers. It was a maze though, and without a map, Alys felt like they’d need to rely on pure luck.

Adrenaline pumped within her veins, sending a rush - a feeling - through her body, one she hadn’t felt in a while. Especially not with someone else. How odd that this other person was likely in the same building as her, after so many years.

It certainly made her mind race. Goswick. That brief time apart while she’d waited for him in the garden. It wasn’t possible to hijack someone that quickly, even for Sky. But how had Caleb known?

The grip on his pistol remained firm, and although it was an unnatural sight; for a woman in a pretty dress to strut about wielding a weapon, it felt more comfortable than the clothing. Hopefully Caleb didn’t want it back so soon, not until she’d asked her question. And received a suitable answer.

“How’d you know that I’m from Goswick?”

They allowed theirself to be taken to the dance floor, following behind as they listened to Amir speak. He was practiced, certainly, and given the last few hours, it took them a moment to get up to speed. After a few steps, though, what they had learned came back to them, and they fell into step along with him.

"Oh, just a night of fun, I suppose. I'm owed a dance, you see, so I had to be sure to show up so I could collect." Of course they hadn't forgotten, they'd only needed a bit of time to compose theirself and a drink to forget the worst of it. "I do also have a bit of a surprise, a score of sorts to settle, but it's not with you or your friend."

"What about you, Mr...?"

"Are you kidding? No one's ever threatened an old rich lady as gracefully as you just did." He laughed, leading the way to the heart of the house. While Alys seemed lost and without a clue of where to go, Caleb had something of an idea. The master bedroom would likely have a view to the garden, double doors and guards keeping it. They walked in silence, being careful at every turn not to run into someone and Caleb was toying with the idea of taking Alys's hand when she hit him with an unexpected question.

"I didn't, I made it up." He answered, and stopped to look into the other room. It had couches, two fireplaces, shelves filled with decorations and a double door at the end, with one guard at each side.

"This way." Caleb whispered, turning left in the hallway. There would likely be an alternative door for the maids, they'd just have to be lucky enough not to run into any. It wasn't until they got to the door that he spoke again, in a whisper.

"She seemed like the ass kissing type, and we needed a name. The Duke's twins were the only noble fairies with blond hair and blue wings I could think of." He tried to twist the doorknob, but the door was locked. "Do you have a pin?"

It was like he'd been here before. Navigating the halls, quietly, assuredly, without doubt. And Alys followed, half a step behind him, slowing and turning when he did.

"Oh, so it's a coincidence then?" She couldn't help but murmur sharply, watching as he twisted the doorknob to no avail. "And you just happen to be acquainted...-" Pausing, she reached up to pull out one of the pins holding back her dark blonde hair, forcing more of her curls to fall. "-careful with that, don't fold it out-" The unassuming pin dropped into the palm of his hand. Glancing over her shoulder, Alys continued. "-with the Duke of Goswick and his twins?"

Caleb hadn't picked a lock in years, so he was a little bit rusty. After a few attempts however, the pirate captain managed to open the door, with minimal damage caused to the hairpin. He pulled the knife from his boot again and walked in quietly.

"I'm acquainted with all sorts of people."
He finally said, after ensuring they were the only ones there. He set his eye on the dressing table by a set of curtains over a glass door and used the hair pin again to open the drawer under the mirror, this time having to fold it out to have it fit the lock.

Goswick. Caleb had been there before with Sinead, but it wasn't that memory that made him more introspective. The memory he was busy remembering was one the summer the duke and his family had spent in the castle after their home was raided by pirates.

"Seven? Eight? And I asked him - my best friend growing up."

"... It was his. It’s all I have left.”

"I used to hate pirates. I think a part of me always will. For what they did."

The lock clicked.

Rings, earrings, necklaces, the drawer was full of things that sparkled. Caleb sat on the table and picked up a shimmery bracelet, gesturing for Alys to get near him so he could put it around her scarred wrist.

"I was born in the Floating Isles. My old man is a butler to one of the noble families- or was, I don't know if he's still alive."

Back