RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

Footsteps approached, pulling Alys from her train of thought and away from the stars twinkling above. She glanced over her shoulder and found the figure she'd been anticipating. A smile crept onto her lips, a silent act of thanks as she took the glass he offered her. She'd only had a sip earlier, having left the glass somewhere in the hallway with the statue and mirror. Her second sip of the night was smooth, bubbly, and just as sweet.

"I thought you knew that by now. Or was the necklace a lucky guess?"

While she talked, Caleb's hand moved to touch the side of her face, bringing it close for a gentle kiss on her lips.

"You can call it intuition." He smiled and tucked a loose curl behind Alys' ear. "I'm glad you like it. There's a backup on the ship, bigger, shinier..." More expensive.

Bigger, shinier...

There'd been an inkling of doubt at the end of their first dance. One dance in Allegria, and one dance here, in Leimor. She'd reacted the same way in both places, felt the desire to leave, but this was different - for more than one reason. And as she stood here now, head angled towards him, Alys was pleased with that tiny piece of her own intuition that had told her to come to the garden for some cool, fresh air.

Hurt flashed across her face and she looked away, back up at the sky, hoping that the dim atmosphere had hidden her reaction. He'd gotten his fair share of kisses, both passionate and gentle, as well as silent permission to touch her, caress her. From a simple golden chain. What was he expecting to get for this bigger, shinier necklace? It's what he was used to, wasn't it? Unfortunately for him, Alys wasn't that type of girl.

Did he think she was? Did he know about the dull ache in her chest, and how it'd replaced the happiness she was feeling just moments before?

Lifting the glass back to her lips, the fae took a healthier sip, draining at least half the glass before turning around to face the house. Leaning against the edge, she looked at the warmly lit windows, watching as shadowed figures moved within, dancing, drinking, chatting.

"I'm curious about the jewelery hidden in this house. Wouldn't mind making it my own."

She could damn well get her own necklaces if his came with a price.

Last edited:
Shit, had he said something? Caleb noticed Alys' shift and replayed his words in his mind, trying to make sense of her reaction. Perhaps she did prefer the bigger necklace, after all. He cleared his throat and sipped his own drink, ignoring the sensation in his gut. He had planned on taking her out to the garden, seeing the stars from the trees, but if it was the jewelry she was interested in…

"Let's go get it, then." He said, leaving the glass on the balustrade and offering his hand.

Lucien had reset his quarters after the mess the pup had made. The desk was reset, although the mead was unrecoverable. He swallowed the last few dregs that remained in the bottle, mopping up the spilled liquid. Some of it had bled into the wood, adding atmosphere to the macabre reputation the vampire had already garnered.

He stooped low, scooping up the fallen journal. Luckily it had escaped the crimson tide, for its pages would have drank greedily and deep, obscuring the scrawling print that covered them. He eyed the pages briefly, noting the description of a ring that seemed to hold magical properties. Perhaps it had been left behind, or perhaps it had joined the treasure horde, and some hapless member of the crew held it, oblivious to its power.

Lucien needed to leave. The boards surrounding him felt oppressive, each creak as the ship rocked with the waves carrying her cadence, her footsteps, her knock. He had never been bothered by the ghosts of the Nox before. But then again, none of the ghosts had belonged to her. None of the ghosts were the Nox.

Lucien fled the ship, determined strides pulling him deeper into the society, thoughts long hidden swirling through his head. Ever since the encounter within those damned frozen caverns, his head had been a mess, thoughts and emotions rising unbidden to the surface. So lost was Lucien in his visions of manors and lilacs that it was only by chance that he spotted the sign on the billboard, advertising a masquerade. It was a chance to avoid the ship and its ghosts, a chance to firmly reaffix the mask he had spent decades crafting. It was easy enough to collect the attire he wanted, custom-fitted and to his exact specifications. Any qualms were soothed by the familiar motion of gold crossing palms. Lucien rarely had need of the treasure he received after various raids, but it certainly helped silence any arguments about deadlines.

He regrettably returned to the Nox, stowing his attire for later use in the evening. As he passed by one of the cabins, he heard something. A heartbeat of sorts. Not the strong beat of a living person, nor the rattle of one on death's door. It was something in between, a rough facsimile of what a heartbeat was supposed to sound like. There was no breathing to accompany it, which could only mean it belonged to one person. Thoughts swirled up again, but Lucien forced them down, rapping a couple times on the door of the girls' cabin before opening it a small amount, but not yet stepping inside.

"Are you presentable, fledgeling?" Lucien almost believed that the concern laced through his question was just another ghost.

They grinned in response to the mans remark, drawing to a stop a few paces away, enough to talk but not close enough to crowd the pair. Not yet, anyways.

They were buzzed, for sure, anyone could tell from even half a glance, but despite the impairment, from this close, they were almost certain. The woman with him- the man they'd approached- was the same one from the Nox. They'd been told about her, and personal feeling aside, they knew it was trustworthy information. There'd been a scuffle, and Ronan had gotten in the way. She had a staff, a cane, and relied on it quite heavily. Other people at the party had canes, but none of them held them so closely, and stared off in the middle distance like that.

"Ah, truly a shame. Trouble's one of the best dance partners, from past experience," they said, taking another sip. The glass, emptied now, was handed off to a footman, and they focused as best they could on the conversation. They looked between... oh, Caleb had been talking to this one earlier, hadn't he? They hadn't been introduced. They looked between him, and the pair, and shrugged, a response to both. "I suppose either would work, but it would be a shame to leave without a dance, yes?"

Leo rocked back on the cask with a sharp intake of breath and more sloshing. As he leaned forward again he seemed as if he were about to burst into a fit of rage, perhaps start screaming at the captive vampire with the lungfuls of air he had taken in. His body was tensed as if ready to strike.

Instead the air was released in a loud and heavy sigh, the tension in his body leaving in the same moment. ”You know what, you’re right!” A cheerful smile as he stood and Leo walked over to his coat and shield, pulling his blade from within and something from the pocket of his coat. With a bounce in his step he walked over to the furnace that burned low but hot and shoved the blade in with a sharp hiss.

”You’re smarter than I am.” Leo returned to the cask and revealed what he had taken from his coat; a simple wooden spoon from the scullery. ”You’re stronger and you’re faster.” Leo examined the spoon idly as spoke, as if more interested in cutlery than the person he spoke to. ”You’ve even got magic. Best thing I can do is kill you now.” The disinterest vanished, and Leo leveled a burning gaze to Naveen. ”You don’t think I will? Or you don’t think I can?”

Last edited:
Another man had approached as well. Aamir did not think he looked interesting enough to be competition. He didn't look interesting enough to be here, for that matter - Aamir would have thought him to be one of Lady What's-Her-Name's invites, except he seemed a bit too shabby for that. Not dockside-shabby; he wouldn't have gotten in without proper dress, but there were shades of these things and the man didn't reek of wealth.

That meant he was here for other reasons. A scholar? Perhaps. It was hard to tell. Perhaps Winter would get something out of him. People told Winter all sorts of interesting things. They saw the cane and the blindfolded eyes and assumed she was an idiot.

Aamir had at first found that amusing, but he had eventually reached the point where he found it as tedious as she no doubt did - which did not at all stop either of them from capitalizing on anything that anyone happened to tell her. He'd let her handle the mysterious man, and turned his attention to the well-dressed person he'd laid his eyes on at first.

"Now, would that be a dance with trouble specifically, or just a dance? I might be interested in one of those things." He did not say which - let them guess.

It was best to keep them guessing, after all.

He hadn’t noticed, or perhaps didn’t care enough to address the shift between them. Alys didn’t know what was worse. He did, however, seem intent on keeping her happy with those goddamn necklaces; the one clasped around her neck seemingly forgotten.

Emotions made her feel insane; the way they coursed through her, contradicting and frightening, forcing her to jump to conclusions. She felt like ripping her hair out, thanks to him, thanks to all of this. But what was she to do? She’d already stuck her neck out today, been vulnerable, made the first move - which very well could’ve been a mistake. Not in the moment, no - but in the future.

She couldn’t allow a repeat of the past. So Alys kept her mouth shut and took his hand, despite wanting nothing more than to stay outside for a little bit longer.

As they walked closer to the large glass doors, the fae removed her grasp and instead, looped her arm through his, allowing him to lead her back inside. Her blue eyes scanned those within, taking in the elegant garments and the people within them. “Have you seen any of the crew?” Alys asked in a whisper. She certainly hadn’t, which was somewhat surprising. Although it was a masquerade ball, she’d been certain that she’d be able to pick out those who worked and lived alongside her. It’d provide comfort - knowing that someone was around - if things went poorly.

Naveen scoffed.

"Is that what you want to kill me with?" He asked, tilting his head to look at the spoon before throwing it back, gazing up to the wooden ceiling.

"Your captain doesn't want to kill me because he thinks I'll tell him how to break the curse." He turned back to Leo.
"Go ahead. I've fulfilled my purpose."

Alys seemed colder than before, but perhaps it was only a result of them reentering the room filled with strangers. After her question, Caleb looked around and away from her for a change.

"I saw a new hire, name's Alexander. Older guy, funny hat. Juniper should show up with a redhead, if she decides to come as herself-" he stopped, not because he'd noticed he might have said too much, but because he spotted two others standing by a bar. A smile crept up on his lips and he pointed at the giant man wearing pink and his date, a short woman with feathery ears. "And there's these two."

Feigning ignorance to Caleb's slip-up, Alys followed his finger to the hulking Al-Ashtavahk and his date, a pretty woman with feathers that couldn't be hidden. Perhaps she should've been happy for the couple, and maybe she was, though the feeling was dwarfed by disappointment. If this was it; a new recruit, their wise-woman, and their greatest physical asset who wouldn't dare leave Emer's side, they were basically on their own. And despite their conversation in the bathhouse, Alys' optimism that Juniper would appear was null. What a great fucking crew.

Alys swallowed another sip of her drink, the taste suddenly bitter, eyes trailing over masked faces, hoping to find anyone else. And when again, she was unsuccessful, the hustle and bustle doing nothing to ease the search, she decided that whatever they pocketed, it'd remain between them.

"So what's our plan then?" She eventually drawled, blue eyes landing on the hostess, who continued to stand atop the staircase, marveling at the turnout. A pair of servants stood on each side of the hallway behind her, while every so often, attendees would climb the stairs to greet the old woman.

"She'd likely respond well to flattery," Alys continued, keenly watching from below. "Bet you're a good kiss-up." She smirked, briefly glancing towards her date.

"Or, we could do it the old fashioned way, with a distraction."

"You tell me." Caleb whispered, releasing her arm from his to hold onto the fae's waist. "Lean on me, you're feeling ill. It's getting harder to breathe."

Trusting Alys to play her part, Caleb walked up the stairs with his chin up and expression blank, acting as if the mansion beloged to him like rich people did. When they got near the end, a masked guard in a baby yellow costume stopped them.

"Can I help you, milord?" A masculine voice asked, the mask smiling at them. A couple steps down Lady Gobhaim watched, getting closer so she'd listen to what they had to say.

Distraction it was.

Settling into her role, Alys draped an arm over his shoulder and leaned against his side, careful not to appear too debilitated. Step after step, they ascended the stairs until a brightly dressed guard appeared in her line of sight.

Her eyes were wide, not in surprise, but from the slight panic that began to overtake her. It was getting harder to breathe, and when she opened her mouth to answer his question, only a quiet croak escaped her lips. The fae lifted her second hand, the one that had somehow lost her second drink, and placed it against the skin of her upper chest, feeling it move up and down. Slowly, but only at first.

They smiled at Amir's remark, giving a laissez faire shrug. "One can precede the other, and the order doesn't quite matter. They're not mutually exclusive, after all, and both would make for a full night." A moment was taken, to look between the other two. They seemed to be occupying each other for the moment... they'd have to come back and get a feel for the newbie later, and hopefully get something from the blind girl as well. They returned their focus to Amir.

"Am I to understand that was an offer? Or am I getting ahead of myself?"

"It could certainly be an offer if you would like it to be," Aamir answered, "For either - but perhaps you'd like to start with a dance? I find that once the trouble really begins, it's harder to hear the music."

He transferred his wineglass to his off hand after a sip, extending the now free right to the person before him. He'd ditch the glass the next time they passed a servant, or just hold onto it. It was good wine, after all, and it wouldn't be the first time he'd gotten into trouble with a glass in his hand.

Or danced, for that matter.

"And when the guards get involved later, what is the name I should be giving them?"

"My wife needs a place to rest." Caleb answered, without slowing down his pace. "How are you feeling, love? Are you sure you don't want to find a doctor?" He turned to Alys who was delivering a stellar performance, ideas brewing in his brain.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, was supposed to go awry tonight. An ill guest was, of course, the least of his worries, not when danger could very well be lurking within his Lady's walls. Masked, blurred faces - his Lady truly aimed to make his job as difficult as possible.

But, to have a woman faint, or worse, would certainly cause a disruption. The guard assessed the woman, who seemed to have trouble catching her breath, and then her husband, who was already moving to walk past him.

"Sir-" He began, walking after and then past the pair, placing himself before the hallway that led deeper into the estate. "Entrance beyond this point is forbidden. But please -" The guard gestured to the sofas, on either side of the door, their wooden legs beautifully carved, the cushions a pale pink colour. A happy compromise; away from the crowd, far enough from the balcony that if they sat, they wouldn't be seen from below, yet within the approved perimeter. "My Lady has the finest doctors available to her, I can have a staff call for one, if you'd like."

---

Inhaling deeply, Alys looked to her dear husband; of course he'd say they were married, though she didn't blame him - it was the easiest cover. Still leaning against him, she listened as the guard offered them a seat and access to a doctor, but restricted them from going where they needed to go.

Was it worth it to escalate things, and perhaps get more people involved? Especially now, with their path obstructed?

"I-I can't breathe," she coughed out, her hand moving down to the corset-like top of her dress, pressing it firmly against her stomach.

”I really couldn’t tell you what Caleb wants. We haven’t had the chance to talk much since your captain took ours from us.” Leo waved a dismissive hand and began pacing between the cask and his weapon resting in the flames. It was true, everyone seemed busy with their new roles, even Starbird. A touch of something soft and vulnerable passed over Leo’s rictus grin at the thought of Alys. He still owed her a conversation they simply hadn’t found the chance to have.

”But I’m not going to kill you just yet. Not only would it just give you what you want, I guess, but it would also be a waste.” He pulled the blade from the fire, spinning to face Naveen again with its glowing tip between them. ”I thought we could use this time to get to know one another better.”

The tip of the blade found its way to Naveen’s calf, hovering mere inches from the fabric of his clothing and causing it to smolder. ”It doesn’t really matter what you tell me. It doesn’t matter what you know, or what you don’t. How to remove some curse?” The red hot steel trailed upward, grazing the interior of the captive’s thigh for the barest of moments before hovering again.

”I couldn’t care less. What your Captain is planning? I am probably too stupid to get it.” The path of the blade left black as it trailed up Naveen’s stomach slowly enough for the fabric to burn but quickly enough that it didn’t flare into outright flame. Leo let it hover over the healing wound in the vampire’s chest, inching the steel closer to the raw flash.

”No, you are going to teach me about vampires. Specifically about your healing; and your tolerance for pain.” He raised the blade to an unmarred cheek before setting it firmly against Naveen’s flesh.

"We need to take your corset off." Was Caleb's conclusion. He turned to the guard again, an angry look on his face. "Do you expect the lady of Goswick to undress here, in public?!"

"What's happening here?"
The old lady asked, slightly breathless from climbing the stairs in a hurry to catch up with them. Her ears perked up upon hearing the words lady of Goswock, and she stared at the woman in awe. Was the duke's daughter really at her party? "Don't just stand there, show them to a room!"

The name dropping seemed to have worked. Caleb fought against Alys' massive skirt to pick her up in a bridal carry, waiting for the guard to show them the way.

Naveen tried to get his cheek out of the way, but it was useless. He let out a rough breath, denying Leo the pleasure of hearing him scream as the iron touched the side of his face. He tried to create a fiber of ice over the wound to stop the pain, but with the heat of the room it was impossible.

"You'll regret this." He breathed out an evil, slightly insane laugh. "My face… You want to test my pain tolerance, I have a lot of it. We'll be here all night." He became quiet for a moment, before looking at Leo. Really looking at him, and perhaps for the first time seeing him as something more than an insect.

"You want to learn about vampires… You know everything. We're faster, we're stronger. We don't need food to live, we drink blood and we live more lives than you humans ever could." Naveen bit his lower lip, a drop of thick blood tainting it scarlet. He smiled at Leo.
"I can turn you. And you can fight me like a man, not a coward who needs to keep their enemies in chains to stand a chance."

Last edited:
The sharp hiss of Leo’s blade being thrust into the flames again accompanied Naveen’s insane laughter, and as he turned back to face the captive his eyes met with the vampire’s nearly translucent gaze. As the sanguine tint spread across Naveen’s lips another laugh filled the air and mingled with the smoke.

”Like a man, you say?” Leo leaned in close, just barely out of reach of snapping fangs but nearer than he had allowed himself so far. Despite the twisted grin he wore and the mad cackle that seemed to bubble up unbidden there was a tightness around his eyes that spoke of far darker emotion. ”What would you know of it? What would any of you know of it?!”

Leo’s voice grew louder with each word as he returned to his pacing. ”You are a monster, unnatural! If you ever were a man it was probably so long ago that the only thing left of that man is the face you seem to be so intent on protecting.” Leo turned back to Naveen with the madman’s smile conspicuously missing.

”Even if I agreed to become like you, to let you turn me, you would just kill me anyway. Things like you only know how to use and destroy men. We are beneath you, and giving your word to me is like promising a roach you won’t crush it beneath your boot.” Despite his words Leo couldn’t deny that the offer was tempting. With power like that he could make sure that he never wore chains again. It made the offer even more suspect in his eyes. Naveen would never give him the means to destroy him any more than Lucien would.

”This is the only way I can fight; as a weak man, rather than a monster like the rest of you.”

Back