RP Agency

Agent Cantrille observed anomalies, because that was what she was meant to be doing, and wrote down her observations. She also observed researchers, because they were interesting to watch. They reminded her, perhaps, of someone she had better not be reminded of right now. She was working, after all, and could not get distracted. Still, there was something about researchers that she found familiar, and she didn't mind being in their company when their focus was not being directed at her.

Of course it followed that she also observed the other Agents when their paths crossed. They were somehow more imposing, though Laine could not figure out a logical reason why this was so, and consequently dismissed the idea. They were silent and steady, which she approved of. She didn't yet know where she would eventually fit in. Maintenance was good for keeping things tidy, but monitoring security was required to tidy things up again when they inevitably became untidy once again.

Greetings were brief, which Laine appreciated, because she did not like what was referred to as 'small talk.' There was no reason to invent things to say without actually saying anything. Sometimes people did not appreciate the value of being quiet.

Laine took notes about these things as well - anomalies, researchers, agents. She didn't know yet which of the notes would be important, but she would make sure that they were organized for later in case she needed something that was in them.

"Agent Hania? Why did you know you belonged in maintenance security?"

Last edited:
She phrased the question…oddly. Perhaps anomalously, but that wasn’t a question for him to answer. She didn’t ask how he knew, or when he knew, or what made him. Cantrille was careful with her words. It was within parameters, although, again, it was unclear whether those parameters were for the anomaly or the person.

Hania wasn’t much good with either, but he was her instructor, and he had agreed to answer relevant questions. This question was relevant to maintenance security, and to their relationship. It was in parameters, it was just… difficult.

"Why." He said the word not as a question, but like it was a new language that he understood but needed to repeat in order to fully grasp. The idea to ask why not? did cross his mind, but that was a nonanswer. It was good for security, but not good for training.

"Because it...fit," he began again. "My skills are inclined toward maintenance. I work well with my hands and understand machinery and robotics, and I have preexisting combat training. There is an aspect of personal enjoyment as well, as I like charting, construction, and calculations."

He paused, as if debating whether to add the final piece. After a moment, he determined it would be safe enough.

"I also have protective inclinations. In an ethical sense I prefer to see things safe. The parameters set by researchers allow us to protect both them and the anomalies, even when the same researchers don’t agree that this is what’s best for them."

He looked at Laine again. "Does that answer the question?"

Last edited by a moderator:
It fit. Laine had known that part, of course. She had been told that people didn't always know it. Sometimes people ended up doing things that weren't the right thing for them and didn't notice it. Someone had said something about that to her once, but it had only been once, and more questions about it hadn't belonged. Laine hadn't known what that meant at the time. She still didn't, and maybe she never would. People were hard to understand.

Agent Hania explained why he understood where he belonged, about how the skills were right for the position. Machinery, construction, calculations, charting - all of these were important in maintenance, and he had the necessary skills. Skills were not always what it took to ensure a good fit, though. Sometimes people had the right skills but still didn't fit, and that could get problematic. Skills could be learned, becoming couldn't always.

It was more of an answer to how than why, until after the pause. After the pause, the answer shifted, changed into something that fit the question as it had been asked. It was not about skills alone. It was inclination. Maybe that was what was needed more than anything else. Inclination was... direction, perhaps - so even if the person did not fit the role quite yet, as long as they were inclined towards it, they would come to it eventually? Laine wasn't certain about that, but it seemed to make sense.

And Agent Hania wanted to protect. What he was protecting seemed less important than the act - anomalies, researchers. It was safety-as-security, or security-as-safety, or perhaps those were the same thing and had always belonged together.

She nodded slowly to his returned inquiry, her thoughts turned inward. "...Yes. Thank you. It's a good answer." A flash of something small that rarely crossed her serious expression: a smile, even if a little one, even if only for a moment. Still, it had been there, and that was important too.

"I like that."

Last edited:
Back