RP PotHN: In Another Life [1x1]

Alys wasn't entirely sure that a healers main objective was to keep the screaming going as long as possible, but she supposed Pris wasn't wrong. However, weren't there herbs or mixtures meant to make someone fall asleep? Surely she'd seen Emer force feed them to someone? Though it was hard to imagine someone from the Teller requiring such help. Wouldn't Sol have just toss them overboard and found himself another lunatic to replace the first? It really didn't matter though - Pris seemed determined not to pursue heaing.

"For starters - to protect yourself," Alys responded, as if the answer was obvious. Of course, for herself, she'd been hell-bent on learning how to drive a blade through skin and flesh, twisting and turning to maim and kill. Protection came second, though quickly became a priority. Especially for a young girl living with pirates.

"Sometimes there's no one else to depend on but yourself. Better to know than not, don't you think?"

There was a thoughtful pause at Alys' answer. Pris felt like she was pretty safe here right now, but it didn't take her mind long at all to think back to Naveen. He was gone for now, but she didn't know if he would be back. And if not him, maybe someone like him.

"I think... that might be a good idea."

She would have liked to think she didn't need to, and she knew that Miss Alys had told her she could come get her if anyone ever bothered her, but that kindness assumed that Pris would have time to do that - would be able to get away to do that.

And if she didn't ever end up needing to use that skill, then that was good. But if she ever did... well. She didn't want to be staring into Naveen's cold eyes some day wishing that she'd taken Miss Alys' advice.

A small smile stretched across her lips. "Wise choice. Shall I teach you then?" Alys asked, hopping off the counter, the soles of her boots quietly clicking down onto the kitchen floor. "Not now - unless you want to. I'll let you think about it some more. And when you're good and ready, you come find me."

"I think I'd like that," Pris said, at least in part because it would be fun to learn something from Miss Alys. "Not, um... not now, though. But maybe some time soon. Because... before I need to know it, right?" There wasn't really much point in learning things too late.

But sometime soon, maybe in some of those hours when the ship was going somewhere and everyone seemed to need to do something, maybe then would be a good time. "And I'll try to figure out knitting a little better too. So I can make you a scarf. A real one."

Something pretty.

Pris was willing, and that's all that mattered. That's what Alys had started out with. They'd start slow, as she had, almost fifteen years ago.

"Come find me when you're ready," Alys said, swinging open the door. Then, before she left, the fae glanced over her shoulder and added, "I look good in red or blue."

Back