RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

At the very least, the ring wasn't on her finger again. Not yet anyways. Turning her attention away, from the vampire and her closed fist, Alys rested her forearms against the railing and joined Nessa in watching the swirling fog.

"I didn't know," Alys said, a bare whisper in the cool, night air. A true statement - in fact, she didn't know much about Nessa at all. She might've probed more, but felt it wasn't the right time, not when the vampire once more repeated herself.

I'll think about it. Who was she trying to convince?

Leaving silence between them, leaving space and openness, Alys merely stood, waiting to see if anything else would be shared.

"I... can't say, for sure. To either. Mal is supposed to be watching him. Caleb wanted to put him in one of the cages, but I... uh, don't want that. So he told me to watch him, and if he does anything, to..." Their voice trailed off. Instead of speaking, Juniper simply made a vague gesture with their hand, sure their point would be clear enough. "I don't know if he's... in control, or if he's changed entirely, but-"

They were cut off by the shout from Lucien. It made them wince. They weren't sure that they'd ever heard Lucien that... angry. They had a feeling they knew why, and they had another, different feeling that told them he was going to be much angrier very soon, and and even third feeling that they wanted to be nowhere near him when he found out. A long sigh followed.

"Emer, I don't know what to do. I don't think- I don't know that you should go check on him. Not right now. But I'm worried that I'm going to have to... get rid of him."

"If he is truly a danger to this crew, that is nothing Lucien cannot handle," Emer replied firmly, after the shout. "He may act more beast than man, and I have many, many qualms with him, but -"

With Sinead gone, he still remained. She saw the look in his eye. She saw him mourn.

"- I trust he will do what is needed for the crew, if worse comes to it."

If only for her. That was something they shared now, wasn't it? Emer let out a low, slow sigh through her teeth, setting down her spoon and reaching out to rest a hand on Juniper's shoulder.

"You do not need to carry that weight, nor have that worry. Besides - we were meant to rest this night." She smiled gently. "Did you enjoy yourself at the party?"

The wisewoman glanced at Juniper's clothes, smile quirking slightly.

Would Lucien handle it? Juniper didn't know him well. They tended to try to avoid him for the most part, though there was something there. He hadn't let them plummet to their death in the Ice Lands, as he so easily could've. He cared, in some strange way, for the crew he found himself a member of, despite recent events.

Of course, Emer was more concerned with them, though, and soon directed the conversation towards theirself and... the party. A frown creased their face, and the changeling looked down towards the table. "I should probably go change before anyone else sees... It was, uh... fine. I... danced with someone, but there wasn't really anything there. Was dancing with someone else, and enjoying it, when Caleb started... whatever that was." Juniper feel to silence, thinking. They were still mad, still upset. Ever since they'd asked that stupid question at the bathhouse.

"I-..."

"Alys knows now. About me."

Lucien eyed the spawn before him, nose close enough for him to sink his fangs into it. As if he would stoop to such levels, the pup's blood almost certainly tasted like filth. The vampire took the insults without a word, his glowering stare all that Leo would get in response. Once his tirade had concluded, Lucien called out.

"Mal!" Every body had their own distinct rhythm or lack thereof, present company considered. Mal's body was, fittingly, arrhythmic, a pattern that shifted and changed and clashed against itself. Lucien knew they were standing outside, listening. "Open the brig."

Lucien slid through the door as soon as it swung wide enough, clawed fingers hooking through the metal bars and pulling it shut behind him. He stood before Leo, his stance relaxed, fangs hinted in a slight sneer.

"I am giving you a single chance, pup." He growled. "A single chance to apologize, to grovel, to throw yourself at my feet. Otherwise," Lucien bared his fangs in a grin that lit up his eyes with malicious glee and anger.

"I will put you down. And not even the quartermaster can stop me."

As if he would try to stop it, it was perfect. If Leo had not bowed to him, who had tried to help, he wouldn’t do so for Lucien, stubborn as he was. In the very slight chance Leo won the fight he would get rid of Caleb’s biggest concern, and if Lucien killed Leo… It would be better than him doing it.

“As you wish.” Caleb said, leaning against the wall opposite to the cage and crossing his arms over his chest. “He forfeited his place in this crew the moment he got himself into this cage.”

Caleb wasn’t one for gore, but this time, it was important that he stayed and watched. He’d watch and learn the proper way to kill a vampire.

Nessa scratched a fingernail against the railing, it was maybe thoughtfulness, maybe just an attempt to fill the silence with noise. Her eyes shifted with the discomfort, or perhaps the twisting dance of fog was just that interesting. Her lips twitched finally, and with a defeated slump of her shoulders, Nessa raised her head.

I tried to pickpocket from the vampire who—” Nessa paused, her expression souring as she left a small scrape in the wood. She left the words dead in the air, and started again. “When I woke up, I almost ate a rat I think. Or maybe I did? I just remember feeling like there was a hole, and no matter what nothing tasted or even smelled like it was appetizing. And I tried a lot of things, y’know? Bread and cheese, apples, but there was this skewer of beef that had maybe only touched the coals for a few moments and that fucking thing made it feel just a little less empty.

Her hand raised from the railing and she plucked at her sleeve. “Didn’t go home for a while. Don’t know how long really. Just slept and tried to eat and slept and the sun was so goddesse fucking bright.” Her voice and posture prickled, almost rising before slumping in defeat.

Went home eventually. I was so hungry then, I’d been hungry before, I’d always been hungry but that was just. It was just.” She shivered. “My mom was asleep, I think she’d been crying for days, but she was asleep then and the moonlight was just on her neck. And she didn’t hear me, and I was just standing there and I could just hear her heart. It was so soft and, and the next thing I knew I was leaning over her with my teeth stuck in my own arm. And I ran and she kept just calling my name.” Nessa stumbled to a stop as she rolled her sleeve up her arm. Two tears of silver skin were halfway up her forearm, and Nessa looked anywhere but at them.

Mal, of course, was outside, having spent the past few minutes leaning surreptitiously against the wall by the door. They heard their name being barked from within, and stepped through. The air was tense, though they were expecting that. They had heard that. They walked silently over to the lock, hooked a thread around it, and unspooled it as they walked towards the door. Mal wanted to keep their distance. If they had to let Leo out, they would do so from where he wouldn't try to do anything to them.

Once they reached the door again, they pulled on the thread, and the bars clattered open.

"I s'pose you were right, there. I did let you out."

They looked across to Lucien.

"Go on, then. Hang the pup by his own leash."

A pause. An out of place pause.

"For all I care."

A solemn quiet engulfed the two women, with wooden groans and gentle, lapping water rooting them to the moment. For half a second, Alys swore she might've heard a distant shout, but as seconds crept by, she brushed it off as, at best, her imagination.

Her thoughts quickly moved on, focusing on the story and the scars on Nessa's pale skin. Scars that might serve as a reminder of the hunger, even when sated. Scars that could serve as a reminder of pure will.

"You're stronger than you think you are," Alys found herself saying, gaze turning away, back to the fog. "I also would've done anything to protect mine." Her jaw tightened, and she continued to watch the fog, blinking and seeing beautiful blue eyes staring back at her. Beautiful and glossy.

"But you eventually get to a point where anything tears you apart from the inside out."

She'd surpassed it, and perhaps began to accept that the dead were gone. Yet, she'd still do anything for those who lived. A contradiction, one she kept to herself.

"I'm sorry."

It was like a phantom limb, an unmet expectation as Lucien made his threat, as Caleb and the amalgam creature conceded to the Navigator’s desires and settled in to watch on. Leo’s lip curled distastefully, his jaw clenched reflexively. He had been here before, hundreds of times to serve as entertainment, or as executioner as he had leaned further into everyone’s expectations of him. He had spent the majority of his life in this exact position, and it had always played out the same way.

Except this time Leo felt no fire in his chest. Lucien had baited him so easily before, had caused embers of rage with his mere presence that fanned to flames with every syllable the vampire would utter. Yet standing there, sneering at Leo with a supportive audience and clearly pitted as his foe the lifelong prisoner was not lost in a blind rage. It was so perplexing that Leo’s face remained immobile, almost blank for several moments as the tension in the increased.

He broke his blankness with a heaving of his shoulders and a heavy sigh. With a groaning worthy of an old man Leo slowly sank first to one knee, a supportive hand thrust to the floor to support him as he solemnly followed suit with the other. Settling back on his heels his golden gaze turned from Lucien’s boots to his meet with crimson laced amber.

”I’m sorry, Lucien.”

Leo’s face was somber and frank, and he delivered the words with a deep sincerity. With a slow blink he leaned to the side, propping himself on his elbow and holding up the golden bracelet on his wrist. ”I’m sorry you think I have a reason to fear you.” Leo did not break into a grin, but the somber expression broke into one that seemed at once both dejected and vengeful.

”My life was always worthless, you stupid fucking stray. Does it make you feel big and powerful that you can take it away?” Leo scoffed and picked at the dirt beneath his fingernails. ”Go right ahead. If you don’t he will. And if the Captain doesn’t-“ Leo’s face twisted a bit with the unfamiliarity of referring to Caleb as the Captain. ”- then the Bone Witch will, or someone else.”

Leo flopped over onto his back, almost as a child might during a tantrum. ”Do whatever you want.”

Lucien raised an eyebrow as Leo dropped to one knee, kneeling on the floor before him. He truly had not expected the pup to apologize, much less to get down on the wooden planks of the brig to do so. He remained there, arms crossed, as Leo continued to speak. His eyebrow lowered once more as the pup continued his diatribe about his worthlessness, and the fire that Lucien once felt rise within him to put Leo in his place was gone. In its place was a tiredness, a sensation of boredom and disgust.

Lucien strode to Leo's side, stopping near his head, amber eyes locked with the pup's own gold ones. "No," Lucien muttered. "Solomon King's pet was the one who took your life from you."

With frightening speed, Lucien swiftly brought his leg up and sent it hurtling back down, his booted heel crashing into Leo's skull with a sickening crunch. He twisted the boot with a squelch before stepping off Leo's now-shattered skull, blood and viscera dripping down as he stood over the body.

"I am simply ensuring that you stay down." Lucien's hand lashed out, burying itself in Leo's chest, claws digging into his heart as the crimson hunk of flesh was torn from the body, only to wetly drop on the floor. Lucien stood from his task, boot and hand stained the color of Leo's innards, his demeanor still calm and even. Had he even taken pleasure in enacting the threat he'd so often made? His face was a mask of disdainful disinterest as he turned from the body and made his way to the cage door, waiting for Mal to open it once more.

Leo's death was as swift as it was brutal; his unbeating heart plucked from his chest cavity like an apple from a branch. Mal felt themselves tense a little. Funny- involuntary muscle movements weren't supposed to happen with other people's muscles. Despite their flinch, they didn't look away. They were used to this sort of thing, after all. Though their intent was never execution, the Muse in Composite was no stranger to dismemberment.

But, still.

Still.

Once the deed was done, they made their way over to the cage, taking out a cleaver and removing the vampire's outstretched arm with a single, slightly aggressive chop. Mal slung it over their shoulder, catching their ear on a piece of jewelery that was dangling off his wrist. It was light- lighter than a severed arm would normally be. Perhaps it was the lack of blood making up the mass.

Lucien was looking at them expectantly, but Mal decided to ignore him- instead walking towards the door.

"You've had your fill." They said, "Stay there until you've come down off it. I'll return in the morning."

They pushed the door open and sighed.

"I assume you'll still be here."

It was uncomfortable and sad to watch Leo kneel to Lucien’s feet and apologize. Caleb expected him to try to fight, but the fire that lived within him when they met had died, perhaps in the moment he’d been bitten or right there when he realized it was over, by his command.

He didn’t want to watch it anymore, but leaving now would make him seem weak so the fairy stayed, arms crossed and fingers pressing hard around his own skin. He closed his eye at the sound of Leo’s skull cracking, opening it again to see Lucien’s boot twisting over what was left of the young man’s face. This time, unlike that day with Hester, Caleb managed to keep the puke in, despite the awful taste it left in his mouth.

Like Lucien predicted, Leo didn’t move after that. Caleb suspected the boot to his head had been enough to kill, but as a bonus, Lucien decided to remove his dormant heart as well. Not long after, Mal went ahead and chopped off the arm with the bracelet meant to tame a vampire, leaving Lucien locked up with the remains. That gave him an idea.

“Clean up your mess while you’re there.” Caleb told Lucien, following Mal into their workshop before heading off to his room.

11 am, the next day.

A raven lands on top of the mast of the Hard Nox, and not long after, a man wearing a purple coat walks the plank. He’d been working at the docks of Leimor since the guards of Allegria kicked him out, and when he heard Sinead’s ship had followed him there he decided it was a good idea to come by and say hi, with no other surprise guests this time.

“Good morning. Where can I find the captain?” He asked the first person he encountered lounging on deck. Crow smiled. “We're friends.”

Juniper hadn't really slept that night. For starters, they felt terrible. Awful, even. They were mostly certain their face was swollen, eyes puffy from crying, and they were definitely certain that their entire body was sore. Between that, and what had happened with Leo...

News got out, of course. Someone heard it through the decks, another whispered to a friend about what had occurred. It was fairly common knowledge by now, and it made the poor sorceress more sick to their stomach than they already were. It felt terrible, knowing, and especially so considering they had almost had to do it theirself. Yet, some part felt... relief. An uncomfortable relief, but relief nonetheless.

Once their conversation had ended with Emer, and their meal eaten thanks to Pris, they returned to the women's bunks, changing quickly before anyone else arrived, and stowed the fancy clothes and silver rings neatly in a chest, hidden from the rest of the crew. Then, they crawled into bed. Juniper proceeded to use the rest of the night bawling into their pillow, albeit silently.

They must've gotten rest at some point, however, as they found theirself waking much later in the day than intended. They felt exhausted, and they considered rolling over and going straight back to sleep, but that wouldn't work. Not with these people.

Instead Juniper fought their worse instincts and got up, got dressed, and stepped out onto the deck just as a sort-of familiar face arrived. They vaguely recalled him, from someplace or another, but it was, frankly, impossible to say where at this point. Rubbing their (slightly) bloodshot eyes, they shrugged. "Who're you? And why do you want to know where he is? You..." they eyed him over, squinting in the bright light, "... don't seem like his type."

The night had passed without further issue for the Baron. He'd reconnected with Emer, watched over her until she'd fallen asleep in her cot, and then moved to the deck to settle his thoughts-- taking his journal along with him as he sojourned upon the starboard rail and sketched the portside scene before him. Each stroke was a consideration; each smear of charcoal a choice. No matter how long he drew, or how desperate the distraction, however, he could not tear his thoughts away from the boy. And so he abandoned his sketch of the port, and closed his eyes. A deep breath settled in his lungs, and he turned to a new page upon the exhale, gaze turning to the distant horizon of the sprawling sea where he could better envision his subject. His thoughts were restless; they had beckoned him all night, and now, alone, he was helpless to resist.

And so he drew.

Emryk had not known Leo long-- though he'd known Emer just the same, really. And while the prospect of relief and safety had long-since been secured for the wisewoman since her kidnapping, there was only a burgeoning uncertainty for the boy he'd helped rescue from the Truth Teller months ago. It had been a nagging bit of guilt he'd harbored for some undiscernable amount of time, but it had grown-- matured, perhaps, into this ugly, gnawing thing at the back of his mind. He'd seen a fire in the boy, upon that ship. A fire he'd seen in Juniper's-- and one he'd held in his own heart, once upon a time. Hate. Vitriol, unending. A roiling flame tempered by apathy for consequence and reckless abandon. At times, it was almost as if he wished to be seen as an animal. As if that would justify the ire, the problematic disregard, the ignorance.

And now, he was afflicted with a curse that tempted him with the urges of beasts. From Emryk's own decision, Leo's fate had been sealed-- vampirism. A disease the Baron hadn't even heard of until he'd set foot upon the Nox proper, though hardly one that should consign him to the fate of a leper-- but only if he could make the right decisions. The Hard Nox harbored two sides of the same coin-- a creature of restraint, and a creature of indulgence. Nessa could hardly be associated with Lucien's ilk, and yet the two shared the same curse, the same affliction of thought and sustenance. Which would Leo learn from, then, and which path would he take? The path of a beast-- or the path of control?

Emryk resolved to help him, then. It was upon every man to decide his own fate, but the boy was young-- and deadly, now more than ever. If a guiding hand could help avert destruction, then what reason did the Baron have not to try? What man would he be if he did not afford Leo what Emryk had gone without-- a mentor, a means of better learning from mistake?

"Mnnh."

The boy was young. About the age the Baron had been when he had consigned himself to fighting pits and back-breaking work beneath the Fae. The era of manhood that him brought anger, uncertainty, and loss. If he could alleviate that-- if even for a second-- then perhaps there could be hope.

An apology. He supposed, perhaps, that an apology was owed. He would come in the morning with such a thing.

And so, when he retired for the night, he finished his sketch; drawing the figment of memory held within the mind's eye. He'd seen them, once, at the parties of the fae bourgeois. Decorations on high, displayed within their prisons of iron for patrons to gawk at. Circuses, too.

The sketch was of a lion, held in captivity. Emryk jotted down a quick caption beneath-- Boy in Cage-- and slapped the journal shut, standing with the soft sigh of an aged man and retiring beneath the deck of the Nox for the night. His thoughts were no less troubled.

"Emer."

He'd come to visit. Morning fog surrounded the Nox, and he pushed inside. Plenty to talk about in the aftermath of the ball, after all, and he'd told her he would keep her safe. Boots silent upon the floor as he entered, brow furrowing at the stench of copper wafting from the floorboards of the clinic-- a deep pool of crimson that had gathered beneath the surgery table and drifted into the room beyond. Emer's room. Where she'd slept. Where Emryk had left her.

Standing in the doorway, now, boots splashed with her blood. She lay still, silent, eyes staring heavenward at the ceiling of the room. Body shuffling, twitching as he loomed over her upon both knees. A half-masked face. Hunched. White hair stained with dollops of crimson as his mouth sank into her own pale neck. He'd told her he'd keep her safe. She was too pale.

Too pale.

Emryk must have made a noise. Or, perhaps, the vampire simply knew he was there. He had told her he would keep her safe. With a suckle, his fangs drew free, and he lolled his head to gaze at the Baron with an askance gaze, a lopsided grin.

The necklace he'd given her was around his neck.

"HRRHHNH!"

He awoke with a start from his bed-- arm shooting out to open air as he creaked the cot he was settled within. His heart was pounding, ears ringing-- his eyes wet. Another soft gasp wrested him back to reality, and he moved from the cot with enough haste to make the room spin-- arm wiping his face, mouth wetting itself with a draw of the tongue along a parched palate. The stupor of nightmare-laden slumber gripped him for another long moment before he quieted his mind, pushing along the steps to return to the deck and opening the door to the clinic; footsteps thudded along the wood as he drew a hand to the curtain, snout peeking beyond the threshold to see--

-- a wisewoman in slumber. No crimson. Necklace still about the neck. Safe.

Embarrassment gripped him as he withdrew, slinking away back beneath the deck to finally doff his salmon ensemble. A bit ashamed he'd fallen asleep in it, he quickly disrobed and settled the garments within the chest he'd been afforded-- quickly taking out a pair of simple trousers and Solren's jacket. The furred coat was looked upon with a momentary bout of guilt-- brow furrowed at a soul lost under his watch-- and donned the fabric all the same, pushing out to the deck with his chest bare beneath the open breast of the furred coat. His scales were muted beneath the winter overcast, though they bore a luster that'd been absent in his earlier days upon the Nox.

He was stronger, now, than he had been. His gut was firmer, arms filling out the coat nicely. Emryk had moved topside with the intent to lift boxes and put them back down, but the sight of Juniper with an unknown fellow stole his attention away. He was as inconspicuous as a man of his stature could be upon approach.

"Good morrow, Juniper." A hand settled upon her shoulder from behind, a moment, as Emryk stopped his pace behind her. His gaze fell to the man, brow furrowing. Skepticism was evident upon his knurled expression. "No issues, I hope? I can fetch Caleb while you talk to the chap." Or vice versa. He trusted her judgement, whatever the case.

Last edited:
It wasn’t discreet the way Crow looked at Juniper, trying to decipher if he’d seen them before or not. There were too many people that day and being honest, it was hard to look away from those pennies. He was forced to look away when a towering man joined them, unarmed and by the tone of his voice, unthreatening. If the blonde’s use of the male pronoun hadn’t been enough to denounce the change in captaincy, the Deadly Shot's name being brought up certainly was. The corner of Crow’s lips fell due to his brief moment of grief. To think his intentions were friendly this time.

“What was it, mutiny? Or did she die in battle?” He asked, after letting out a sigh. It wasn’t retirement, that was for sure. Crow didn’t know Sinead, they hadn’t done a lot of talking that night, but he did know the look of a person fueled by revenge. She wouldn’t stop, not unless she was forced to.

"Good-" oh gods what time was it? "-afternoon, Baron." Juniper's voice was still raspy, throat dry and somewhat sore from the combination of drinking and crying the previous night. They cleared it, leaning some of their weight into their staff as Emryk placed a hand on their shoulder, careful to keep this strange newcomer in eyesight. He seemed mostly ordinary, maybe a bit more on the handsome side than they expected for someone so brazenly walking aboard a renowned pirate ship, but they'd seem stranger in recent months. "If you'd like to wake the captain, it'd be appreciated, thank you."

They rubbed at their eyes again before speaking to Crow. "I suggest you take a few steps back. Oh, and answer my questions, first. What did you want with the Captain, how did you know her, and why did you think it was a good idea to just waltz on up here? You're clearly not very good friend or you would've known she'd have had you killed basically immediately."

Their new arm would take some getting used to. Vampiric strength was no joke- Mal could easily destroy some of their tools if they took it in the wrong hand with their usual grip strength. Practicing a light grip with one hand whilst retaining firmness on the other three was annoying, but it was something they knew they could handle. Limbs usually had different strengths- this was just an exaggeration of that. A vast exaggeration.

They walked down to the brig, unsure of what to expect, but seemed pleasantly surprised that Lucien had remained where they had left him.

"I'll let you out in a second." Mal said, "Just need to do an inspection on the bars- routine, I assure you."

Lucien let out a low growl as Mal refused to let him out, instead simply choosing to let him "cool down". That was typical of them, then again they had made no promise to let him back out once the deed was done. They took the pup's severed arm with them, presumably to replace whichever of their limbs was closest to rotting off. Lucien had a better idea than most about how Mal's physiology and modifications worked, but a better idea still did not mean he understood even a significant portion of how they functioned.

The quartermaster, to his credit, did not leave the room as Lucien did his dirty work. He blanched, showing his discomfort in the situation and weak stomach. Curious how much easier the fairy could handle bursting heads like overripe grapes when he was at a comfortable distance looking down the sights of a rifle. As he turned his back, commanding Lucien to clean up the mess like a dog, the vampire stabbed at him, just loud enough to hear as he retreated.

"She would not have looked away."

Lucien made no effort to escape, nor damage the bars. He similarly made no attempt to clean the mess he had made of Leo's corpse, the viscera slowly spreading and staining the boards. As footsteps reached his ears, and unsteady gait of two different legs, Lucien's gaze flicked from the wall to the door to observe the amalgam entering, a familiar arm now attached with a fresh line of thread.

"Does the arm retain its strength?" Lucien wondered aloud, making no move to retreat from the bars as Mal performed their "routine" inspection. They would find no damage that had not already been there. If Lucien Kilta may have been a beast, but he was a patient one. "I would be interested in its rate of decomposition compared to your previous limbs."

Crow hadn’t noticed at first that the staff they were holding was no regular staff. He had only seen a magical weapon made of greywood once, and despite not being enough of a specialist to tell for sure that's what it was, the color and texture of it was enough to peak his interest. They didn’t make staffs like that since the last forest had been burned to ash centuries ago, and if it was what he thought it was, it worthed a whole lot of money.

“Wake the captain, I’d love to meet him.” Crow agreed with the blonde, hoping to take advantage of their time alone once the big guy had left. They didn’t look so eager.

“If she wanted to kill me she would have done so when she had me unarmed and naked in a dirty inn's bedroom.” Crow said in his defense, raising his hands to show he had no ill intent. In a second his blade could jump out of his scabbard in his defense, but the dark haired man didn’t see it as a serious threat, not yet. He cracked a smile.

“I remember you. You're the one who burned down Fen Manor.” There was no anger or resentment in his voice, only amusement. “Great work. It takes a powerful mage to accomplish that.”

Last edited:
Back