RP Pirates of the Hard Nox 2

"Mmh." Emryk replied, nodding. "A fair point."

At the notion of a distraction, though, the Baron raised a hand to his chin, then looked to Alys. "If you need a distraction, I'd be apt at creating one, perhaps. Given that I doubt I'd be good at the former."

Juniper's mind began to, sluggishly, think on what they actually wanted to accomplish. They felt lost, especially with how the night had gone, and they weren't very sure of what to do, how to follow up what they had learned, or done. At the center of it was, unfortunately, Alys, and every confusing and infuriating feeling they had towards her and her involvement with Caleb. They had known better, since the Ice Lands, but they weren't the most logical thinker, and especially not now. They'd not spoken to anyone about it, not even Emryk when he'd asked, and it'd stewed, festered, until the party.

It'd spun off in a rant they weren't happy about. They'd threatened the guard, and every single person in the ballroom, whether they knew it or not. The worst part was, they felt like they were about to do it. After everything, they were in no more control than they had been.

All Juniper wanted was a bit of guidance, and reassurance, without blame or anger, that they weren't that monster they felt they were. This wasn't a conversation they wanted to be having with Pris, though. She was a kid, and she'd seen so much already, even if she didn't know it.

"Just... some family, a friend, who I lost. Never got to say goodbye, and I wanted to fix that."

Ciaran shot a look at Nessa quickly and Caleb wasn't wrong, the poor girl was looking rough. She had been the one he'd hoped could sneak inside, truth be told he hadn't spoken much with her but he could always see the value in her skills. "We'll all end up a lot worse if we keep marching to their front door. We need to position ourselves carefully and draw them out - otherwise they're liable to barricade themselves inside with Emer as their hostage."

Then he went silent, letting the others converse. He could see a plan formulating between his crewmates, a distraction while a select few slip inside. "I'd wager Alys has the best option, keep them busy outside while some of us make sure Emer gets out safely - let them feel like they've the upper hand."

"Thoughts, Captain?"
He looked to Caleb now, maybe if the idea came from Alys' lips he'd prefer the taste.

Caleb tried not to smile at Alys’ response, the moment didn’t call for it. He kept his head low, turning to the sea while listening to his crew.

Emryk was right, the Cloud Cutter wasn’t average. A shapeshifter, a blind swordswoman and a man who claims to be related to Solomon King, certainly he would have heard of them before. The Hard Nox on the other hand, they had songs written about them, about her. They knew who they were. But why Emer?

“We’ll keep marching to their front door.” Caleb said in response to Ciaran, turning back to face the group. The men Ciaran had gathered were nearly approaching, and Caleb started walking again, hoping they’d all follow. “When we find the trail, the three of you will disperse and hide on a nearby ship. The baron and I will lure them out and you can sneak in through a window or gunport.”

He stopped, seeing the trail of blood a few meters ahead. If they could spot the ship, the ship could certainly spot them as well, but the veil provided by the cloudy night would prevent them to notice the three figures leaving the armed pack. Caleb and the giant Al’shtavak approached the plank leading up to the Cloud Clutter, a fishing boat compared to the Nox.

“Bring your captain and our wisewoman to me or I’ll blow up your ship!” Caleb shouted at the man hanging from the main mast, trying to spot any other figures that could be hiding somewhere.

"Oh. That's hard." Pris shifted a little, drawing her knees up to her chest on the bench. "I don't know if it helps. Saying good-bye, I mean. My mom said good-bye to me. Before... y'know. And it doesn't help. I don't really remember much about it. I was pretty little. But she said good-bye." And then she had been gone and never came back, just like everyone else who had been taken like that was gone and never came back.

"I didn't really understand, back then. There were a lot of things I didn't understand. There probably still are. I think you could live to be a hundred and still have a lot of things you didn't understand."

Pris shrugged a little, under the firm grip of the skeletal hand, who was definitely listening. For once.

"Sometimes I wonder how many things Mr. King doesn't understand. He's been around a lot longer, you know? A really long time. But I think that at some point he stopped trying to understand and started trying to know. Knowing is different than understanding. And I don't know how to explain it, but it is, and that's important."

She shifted her head a little, resting a cheek on her kneecap and looking over to Juniper. "So I guess for you it depends if you're trying to understand, or if you're trying to know."

On the opposite end of the ship, the designated trio lurked in the shadows, hidden behind a cover of boxed supplies. Time was of the essence; they needed to get in and out - with Emer - before they were swarmed. Eyes quickly flicking over the side of the ship, Alys took in the windows that lined the side, assessing their size and the darkness that lurked beyond. Not all were black though, with one or two housing a tiny, flickering light. She briefly glanced over at Nessa, and then met Ciaran's gaze, shooting him a somewhat concerned look. "You're sure you can do this?" Alys whispered to the young vampire.

Gods, Pris knew more than Juniper had thought she did. Frankly, it was upsetting, in the way that things annoyed you when you knew what they were saying made sense but you didn't want it to make sense. They didn't want to bring those people back, into a shambling sham of what they'd been in life, just to have a halfway conversation with them for a moment, only to let them go again forever. They wanted to go back and do things differently, so that maybe things wouldn't end the way they had.

They didn't want to be having this conversation.

They had no idea if they wanted to know, or if they wanted to understand. Frankly, they either didn't know the difference, or refused to acknowledge it. "I'm- sorry. For what you went through. It wasn't very fair, was it?"

All they wanted was a chance. To apologize, to their parents, who never knew their daughter was taken. A moment of calm, to tell Poppy how much they'd appreciated her, to tell her they would do better. Had they done better? Would either of them even want to talk to them, after all they'd done?

The emotions became overwhelming, all at once. The general dizziness didn't help, and so they pushed the plate and glass out of the way, setting their head to the table and wrapping their arms around it, to cover theirself and block out the light. Tears flowed behind cover, their mind stuck, spinning its wheels on hopeless memories. "I- just wanted a chance. It wasn't fair, there was so much they needed to know..."

I’m fine.” Nessa said, flexing her fingers. If Emer was in trouble, then she would help to rescue Emer, simple as. As far as the how went, that would need a little more time, which was already in short supply. Nor did it help that half the people were trying to treat her like an animal with some mortal wound. She was fine, just tired.

I’ll slip on once the distraction is answered and get my hands on some rigging for you two to climb.” Her gaze flicked to Alys and Ciaran. “Sound good?” The smell of iron and damp prickled uncomfortably in her nose, so Nessa rolled her shoulders. While she waited for the response, Nessa’s gaze turned towards the shape of the ship in the gloom, deciding on the best place to make her way up and over the side.

-~-~-~-~-~-

Winter frowned as she turned her head to the clinic door. Shouting and footsteps. Nox by what she could guess. How close was the wisewoman with her work? Or Aamir getting a story out of her? Winter turned from the door, the tips of her fingers once more tracing across the counter top until she got to the shelves with the bandages. She plucked out a roll, and set about winding a strip of cloth over her eyes and covering her scars.

We’ll have company soon.“ Winter said, tucking away the loose ends of her bandages. The runner would have the message in its full, so she’d leave that to him to tell Aamir.

Emryk was silent during the exchange and agreement of a unified plan; much as he disliked subterfuge, it appeared that this was the only option all of them could agree upon. Part of him couldn't help but feel as if this was going to go horribly wrong, but perhaps it was merely the pessimism from Emer's kidnapping. Still, he couldn't shake the odd circumstances of the kidnapping; a wisewoman taken by a group of odd individuals. And for what? They certainly didn't seem the type for senseless violence-- or, at the very least, he hoped not-- so there must have been some other reason for taking her. A utilitarian reason, perhaps. Spiritual matters? Matters of medicine?

They'd have to find out, he supposed. No use speculating now, when they stood upon the doorstep of the Cloud Cutter. Emryk's brow furrowed as Caleb delivered his threat, the Baron looking over to the captain with an expression of incredulity,

"A word of advice," He muttered, crossing his arms. "It may be unwise to threaten to blow up the ship that your wisewoman is currently on. Especially if they refuse to bring her out. Might be a bit harder to believe." He kept his eyes peeled for any actions against them-- guns over the railing, footsteps from behind-- and held his posture, intending to utilize his mere presence as threat enough.

"The wisewoman. Please." He called out, voice a stentorian ram in its own right as it resonated along the hull of the Cloud Cutter. He knew they could hear him. "I don't quite appreciate being lied to."

"Just one set," Alys responded absentmindedly, keeping her eyes set on the ship, watching for any sort of movement or acknowledgement to the scuffle of heavy feet and blatant threats. "While you do that, I'll fly over and see if I can find a way in." They needed an unlocked window, one that could fit the trio, and preferably, one close enough to where the wise woman was being held. Hopefully it wasn't in the brig, and somewhere a little more... established. She couldn't imagine a need to lock up Emer, not when the ship held a man who was likely bleeding out. Granted, they very well could have their own medic. Though none as brilliant as their wise woman.

"I knew we should have lifted off." That would have made it so much easier, if they were already in the air, but Sky had gone and gotten himself shot and now they were behind schedule. Aamir sighed, giving Winter a grateful nod for the information, even if it wasn't the information that he wanted.

It wasn't long before the messenger arrived, reporting the issue, which was apparently that Emer's crew wanted her back, which was not a surprise. "Right. I'll go talk to them. I suppose if you want to join me, you can. Winter, stay with her, whichever she chooses. Sky - don't do anything stupider than usual."

He levered himself up, knowing that at least one of those orders was going to be ignored, then went out to go meet the raiding party. At least he was well-dressed for the occasion - Sky's blood showed up delightfully on the white shirt and trousers. He went up to the top and leaned over the railing, calling down.

"Does this have to happen right now?"

"I see."

Emer was silent for a few long moments, swirling her cup of tea thoughtfully. It always came back to Solomon King. They'd become so irrevocably tied into his machinations. Caleb's folly and ultimatum, Sinead's death, the pleading of this fool before her. Perhaps this was all some sort of trick. A trap, to test their loyalty.

But -

She considered herself a fair judge of character, and she felt no reason to assume this man was lying. Before she had a chance to reply, a messenger entered. Her crew had come for her. She knew they would've. Rising, she set her half-empty cup to the side.

"You will mend," she said to Sky. "Rest for the next few weeks. Do not strain your wound, or it will reopen."

There was a storm here. The skies were clouding. But it was not one she could see, or feel, or know. The wind was not on her skin. It was within her. Closing her eyes, she inhaled.

Then exhaled.

"My folk will not be happy with you for what you did. I should come, if only to ease tensions. As for your request - I cannot make any promises for rescue from curse or hex, but I can do what I am able, and have a counteroffer in turn. Treating symptoms is an ill-choice when the root of the malady can be addressed."

There was a simple solution, one to help this troubled soul, to free this girl, to free her folk, to mend what had been done. She opened her eyes. Resolute, yet calmly stoic.

"You will help me bring an end to Solomon King."

Eventually, there came a reply-- the man Emryk had seen earlier, at the ball. Less kitschy than the last time they'd met, but that familiar air of smarminess seemed to remain like a miasma. Perhaps it was his own low opinion of the man that tainted his judgement, but Aamir's reply hardly earned him any goodwill with the Baron.

"Yes." Emryk muttered, incredulously. The dismissive tone nearly made him claw into the side of the ship to scale his way to the railing, but that would hardly be civil, despite the clear lack of respect from the opposing party. Nonetheless, he afforded the man what patience remained. "Yes, this is happening now, because you do not wish to know what happens if we do this later. I'm going to ask you this once, and I hope for your sake that you have the sense to answer with candor-- where is she, and is she unharmed?"

“If we don’t show them our guns, they’ll assume it’s hidden somewhere.” Caleb whispered back. “We don’t want them to think that.”

With that plan, it wasn’t just Emer’s life on the line. Caleb trusted they’d find her and get her out safely if Aamir didn’t cooperate, so long as their distraction was distracting enough.

“Aamir… King, I assume?” He smiled cheekly, placing a hand on his chest. “Caleb O’Cain, captain of the Hard Nox. This is my crew.” Caleb didn’t have to say more, as Emryk made their intentions quite clear. “Are you coming down, inviting us in, or do I have to keep shouting?”

The pain slowly faded into a phantom, something he would have to get used to. Sky placed the bottle of rum down as Aamir went up the stairs and slowly moved his hand to the side to tap the fabric, to make sure the spare pistol was still hiding under the cot. If it was loaded, he’d have to find out later.

“Thank you.” Sky said, with a sincere smile. “Alys shot me. You know Alys, don’t you?” He reached for her arm, trying to stop her in case she wished to leave the clinic. “You’ve met us, we’re not unreasonable folk. It’d be great if your crew didn’t start a needless bloodbath.” And he let go of her hand, trusting Winter would know what to do with the orders given to her.

"Aamir Rake. King's a bastard. I mean, so am I, but it's a matter of principle." Not that he had a whole lot of those, but he supposed neither did anyone else here. "I don't know if this really feels like a Hard Nox conversation. Can we do it with your tits out?" Because, really, if he was going to get yelled at by the captain of the Hard Nox, he should at least have gotten to enjoy the view. Sadly, he wasn't much into the sort of view that this Caleb O'Cain could offer, but it was, again, a matter of principle.

He didn't invite them aboard. Maybe he would have, if the tits had been out. He didn't come down, either, quite content to call down and let all and sundry in on the drama.

"The lady'll be along shortly. She's fixing up a mess you made. Bet she does a lot of that." Maybe not too much - she didn't have Sky, after all. "She just hired us to bring an end to Solomon King. Was very emphatic about it. Strong-willed, that one." He enjoyed strong willed women. They kept him busy for longer.

"Is that one of your messes, too? Because I have to say, that's almost as bad as the stuff Sky gets up to."

"Unreasonable is yet to be determined," Emer replied cooly, withdrawing her arm. "But I will do my best to make sure things stay peaceable."

She left the clinic without a glance behind, uncaring to any followers. The captain's words echoed down. She shook her head - more air aboard this ship than they knew what to do with, it seemed.

"Hired is a strong word. If anything, you were the one who came to me with a request," Emer called, climbing up onto to the deck. She drew her arms around her shoulders against the Leimor night chill, walking slowly over to the railing. If only she'd brought her shawl. One was truly never prepared without a shawl.

"Hello, Baron. Caleb. I apologize for any worry. These folk thought it wise to hold me against my will." She glanced at the captain - Aamir, he had gone by. "Would that still be the case, or may I rejoin my crew for our discussion? I would think imprisonment a setback to your desires, all things considered, both for rescuing this girl and for keeping bloodshed to a minimum."

Emryk remained silent during the brunt of Aamir's witticisms, his expression an unmoved relief of unamusement. He glanced to Caleb, for a moment, then sighed, pinching the bridge of his snout and waiting for Emer to come along. Hopefully the idiot wouldn't actually open his shirt.

Before that question could be answered, however, the wisewoman arrived and the Baron's spirits renewed, a relieved smile overtaking his face as the weight over his mind alleviated itself. The tension wound through his chest shattered into a half-scoffed chuckle, and he motioned with his hand.

"Thank the earth. Emer, the man's an ass. You needn't listen to him-- if you hop down, I'll catch you." Emryk replied, knowing the drop was a simple descent for the wisewoman, given her ability to float like a windswept feather. "Just like the dance, yes?"

As long as your wings are silent” Nessa said, though she was already stepping away for that matter seemed concluded enough for her liking. A rope for just Ciaran then. Nessa took in a breath she didn’t need, then emptied her lungs. She took a pair of quick steps before she hopped off the dock and into the mists that swirled around the ship.

Nessa felt a moment of weightlessness as she reached out, and a lurch of panic as her fingertips caught the edge of wooden paneling. For a moment, brief as it was, she felt her fingers slipping as her weight settled upon them before her feet caught a wedge in the wood with a soft ‘thumf’ which made her wince. Then, she began to work her way up.

————

Oh, is that the name of the girl who tried to take my head? How pretty.” Winter said, with a touch of amusement lingering on the edges. She paused for a moment as Emer took her leave from the room, she didn’t sound like she was running so Winter allowed herself that much. “Killing King? My my, what a delightfully selfish sort of request.” A smile found her lips, and she tilted her head as if to catch Sky’s eye, though she wasn’t fully certain where his eye was at this very moment. Tricky things, eyes.

Rest for a while, alright?” Winter’s voice dropped when it sounded that her current charge was out of earshot. She reached out and brushed the tips of her fingers against Sky’s shoulder before she turned away and followed Emer out the door.

It wasn’t a far walk, and beyond some angsty words it didn’t sound like a gunfight had broken out, which Winter took to be a positive sign. She slid neatly into place behind Emer, a faint frown at the call for the wisewoman to hop herself over the railing.

I daresay she’d find it far safer simply walking down the gangway once talks have concluded.” Winter said, her cane coming to a rest with a solid ‘click.’ Winter made no movement to place a hand on Emer’s shoulder, though she didn’t quite fancy needing to hop down after the wisewoman if she chose to live out the pages of some raunchy novella. But Emer seemed the sensible sort, so Winter felt she hadn’t much need to worry.

It was a relief to see Emer, because if she was there Naveen didn’t have her, and nothing could be worse than that. It also meant Alys wouldn’t have to put herself in danger, but he had no way of contacting her and could only hope they had a view of what was going on on the deck. The blind woman, the one Alys warned them about, was the last one to appear. Her voice didn’t sound threatening, but it was clear she wouldn’t just let Emer leave.

“Consider it a favor.” Caleb shouted for the last time, kicking the floor and fluttering his wings to fly closer to the railings of the Cloud Cutter. “Your shapeshifter wanted to instigate a fight between you and our master gunner.” It was just one of his crimes, but Caleb didn’t feel the need to bring up the rest. Or to take his shirt off.

“We shot one of yours, you kidnapped one of mine, the way I see it we’re even. Let her go and we can talk as civilized people in the morning.”

"Sure, but you're the one who wanted to kill him," Aamir said with a grin, as the wisewoman joined them. That was, in his opinion, one of the wiser things she'd said, actually. "Sounded personal."

Of course, it was always personal, wasn't it? They were bastards, and bastards were personal. In order to be impersonal you needed to be really fucking rich. There was a certain amount of impersonality that only ludicrous amounts of gold could buy - and up until that point, it all tended to be very personal.

He waved a hand at one of the crewmates to lower the gangplank, since it was either that or wait to see if the wisewoman actually jumped, and he had a strong suspicion that he might - and the other Captain was already on his way up, so they might as well pretend it was all Aamir's idea and the boy had just jumped the gun.

Boy seemed apt, seeing him up closer. "How old is he?" Aamir muttered, quietly, to the wisewoman, not really expecting her to answer. "He looks like he's my sister's age. And she's an idiot."

"Relax, your gunner has a good bullshit detector, we talked it out. My shapeshifter's a fucking moron. How 'bout yours?" Did the Nox even have a shapeshifter? Aamir certainly didn't know, but he wasn't going to bring up a little detail like that. "So, if we're even, how would you feel about a job? Because I have a girl to rescue, and it looks to me like you've just acquired some experience in girl rescuing operations."

Back