Closed RP Law of Gravity

This RP is currently closed.

Ironclad

Field work was supposed to be something you paid others to do.

Usually Saturn would be content to let things lay, but her hand had been forced. Cain, sweet, emotional little pup he was. He liked to pretend he was above it all, the silent and dedicated hunter. Saturn knew better, he was a child, still trying to get daddy's approval and making a pass at every comely man who would entertain what passed for southern charm from Cain. Saturn hadn't been surprised in the slightest when Titan had reported that Cain had likely begun a physical relationship with Obsidian. She would have been shocked if he hadn't.

It wasn't the first time, Saturn banked on what she knew to be the constant in Cain's behaviour; the closer he got to Obsidian the more manic and distressed. And like the coward he was he would come crawling back to the familiar, to Saturn, and she would catechize him and shame him but he'd do his job and be assured that at the very least he was useful to someone.

It was a practiced pattern. A leash to restrain a dog. Saturn held many leashes. She collected strays. Titan was in heavy debt and made enemies in the Cuban government. Hyperion had been caught selling state secrets to the highest bitter. Tethys had killed a commanding officer while deployed to Iraq. Cain had been the easiest, he'd been so desperate to belong he'd let himself be owned by anyone. Secrets, shame, desire, money, greed, lust, love. These were tools, tools to absorb and acquire.

In the end Saturn would devour them all.

In was the one thing that brought her sensation. The whole world was numb to her touch, her body absorbing half of anything, nothing felt quite as much as it should feel. Smoking, drinking, sex, drugs, these were temporary pleasures that could briefly feed her needs, but ownership, that was true sustenance. That was the only reason Saturn had hired an armored car and a small security detail to accompany her into Pittsburgh. Saturn had considered looking into why this place attracted so many metas, it certainly wasn't for the scenery.

Here there was an asset she was interested in acquiring. Cain's leash remained taunt, for now, but it did well to diversify one's investments. That's why Saturn had spent a fair amount of money and resources tracking down one Flora Foster. Not only could she be a valuable asset, but she would be childsplay to collect. Saturn had the driver pull into a secluded corner so she could walk to the rather despicable bar that she knew Flora would frequent.

Her costume was calculated, and always changing. For Cain she'd worn a business suit, for Titan a low cut strapless red dress that had him at her mercy in seconds. For Flora neither professional nor seductive would be needed, so she wore a simple black blouse, leather jacket, jeans, and boots. She looked like a woman out on the town, except for the tattoo that snakes up her neck - Greek patterns ending in the solar symbol for Saturn - and her fistful of rings that donned each finger. Even without trying she turned a few heads when she entered the bar, but Saturn ignored them and walked straight to the bar and sat on the stool right next to Flora. She ordered an old fashioned.

Last edited:
Flora wasn't a heavy drinker, certainly not in her condition, but every once in a while it was nice to take a break and enjoy a beer. She had finished a nasty job yesterday night, killing a competitor to a rising drug kingpin. Whatever, money was money.

When she wasn't wearing the black mask, she was a fairly average-looking woman, save for the sickly thin, gaunt form she had developed from the chemo. Her hair was brown, cropped close to her jaw and with blunt bangs. Her eyes were tired grey. There was nothing particularly unique or interesting about her, or her attire- plain jeans and a loose t-shirt.

So why had a rich, well put together lady purposefully sit next to her? Anyone desiring to hire Flora for her abilities knew how to use the proper channels. No one knew her face anyway.

"Can I help you, Miss?"

Flora took another long sip of her beer.

"Flora Foster" Saturn said, her voice was smooth, a purr, yet had just a slight scratchiness to it. "Twenty-Six Years old, thought who knows how much longer you'll live, not without some serious medical attention. Help that's rare, expensive, and beyond your reach. No, Miss Foster, you cannot help me, but you can hear my offer and perhaps you can glean some benefit from it."

Last edited:
Flora tensed. Anyone staring a conversation with her full name could be a particular sort of stupid customer. It wasn’t the first time someone had dug a bit and found out who she was. She’d killed them of course.

But someone who brought up her full name, age and diagnosis was a different sort of threat all together. Even if they did have a proposition.

Flora downed her drink, and set the glass down hard on the counter. She’d play this safe for now, and learn. If she was good at anything it was observation, “Such as?”

Saturn pulled down her sunglasses just enough to glance at Flora, it was a dismissive yet appraising look. Like she was considering buying a fruit at the grocery store and wondering how ripe it was.

"I represent a private military company who specialize in utilizing and neutralizing metahumans, your particular set of skills would be an asset to us. In exchange we can provide you with good pay and resources to better handle your abilities as well as treat the less than favourable affects. I surmise that the two bit contracts you've shilled yourself out for haven't paid you as much as you need, you sign an exclusive contract with me and that changes."

Last edited:
Flora stared back at the woman. A privatized military company? That only spelled trouble, especially if they were looking into metas, and their powers. The woman clearly newhow to make a good sell as well. Reminding Flora of the irregularity of her work, her cancer, and offering treatments so that she might live a little longer. But she laid out her hand, and Flora wasn't above showing her cards either.

"You must be a desperate sort of company, trying to recruit a dying woman." Flora said. She could give a shit less about this womans proposition. "And I don't like being tied down. Now, can I be left to enjoy my last days in peace?"

Saturn rapped her rings on the counter.

"Desperate? No, opportunistic I prefer, a dying woman has very little to lose and can be counted on to perform dangerous tasks," Saturn leered. "At least most dying women have nothing to lose, Cecil, that's his name, right?"

Last edited:
Cecil.

That singular name made Saturn more of a danger, more of a threat, than the damned Pheonix and Cryptid put together. Such threats needed to be put down, with prejudice. Without hesitation. This bitch would not survive threatening her child.

Flora reacted on instinct, instincts honed by her unsavory work. She moved faster than she had any right to for a dying woman, and grabbed Saturns collar and the world turned and vanished around them, a naurseating sensation, until both women were standing in an alley behind the bar.

Flora thrust her hand out, altering her atomic structure until it sank through the womans chest.

Saturn saw it comming, it was a common enough reaction. She allowed Flora to grab her and held on as they teleported. It wasn't much, but she felt the flurry of movement sink into her skin, filling her muscles with energy. Just enough so when they landed Saturn moved fast and slammed her palm down onto Flora's arm hard enough to sprain her elbow. She followed up with a knee into her stomach and shoving her roughly away. Saturn calmly removed her sunglasses.

"Listen hon, I will will make this clear, assuming you could beat me; if I don't walk out of here with you bound by contract to me, then little Cecil will die knowing his mamma was at fault," Saturn said coldly. "So precious our children, so vulnerable, I'm offering you a good deal, do the smart thing."

Last edited:
Flora grit her teeth as the woman struck her elbow. She hadn't been fast enough to allow the blow to phase through her. She also hadn't been fast enough to take proper hold of Saturns heart and rip it out.

Then Saturn drove her knee into Flora's gut, sending her back against the wall of the bar, hard. The pain in her spine caused her to crumple to the ground with a pathetic cry. It killed her to be weak like this- at the mercy of her own failing body.

Even worse was the threat against her son. Cecil and Boris were all she had left. The only reason for her to keep going as long as she had. Flora could teleport away. She could try to run, even try to bring them with and explain all this....but what would be the point. The woman already knew where they were and Flora might not be fast enough- or last long enough.

"Don't-" Flora choked out, grabbing the wall to haul herself to her feet by sheer force of will. "-Ever threaten my son again, you cunt."

Saturn delicately inspected her fingers, adjusting each ring as they'd become slightly dislodged.

"I'm perfectly willing to never lay a finger on little Cecil, or ever mention him again, all I need is your signature on the dotted line," Saturn licked her lips, she could just about taste victory. "A path to redemption, a road to damnation, I'm offering you something far sweeter than to simply die slowly, you will be paid, handsomely, your life will be extended, all it takes in your name and a shake of my hand, will you shake my hand or will you die in the mud?"

Last edited:
Flora carefully appraised the woman, fear flashing in her eyes as Saturn spoke her sons name again. She was just taunting her now. Flora very well knew the type of woman Saturn was, and there was no question about it. She would stand by her word.

And who didn't want more time. Flora knew she was damned for what she did. There was no point in rushing to meet her end. And it would keep Cecil safe. She stood at a crossroads. There were two ways this would go, and...well the details were in the devil anyway. And right now satan was wearing rings. If Flora was going to sell herself, it might as well be for a good cause.

Flora glowered at the bitch, and exhaled- extending a pale, bony hand.

Saturn smiled, taking the hand surprisingly gently and shaking it. Subtly she used the gesture to step closer without alerting Flora. Her other hand calmly brushed the dirt from her shoulder.

"Now there, there, that's a good girl," Saturn said softly. It did well to treat your assets good. A pat on the head or a kiss on the cheek could get you quite far when you dealt with the broken and the beaten. Besides, once they belonged to Saturn they were hers and Saturn would care for them. She smiled disarmingly, none of her previous malice or mockery on her face. She clicked her tongue and pulled out a stack of papers from her coat.

"Your contract," she said. "Once it's signed we're going to get you a nice warm meal, and medical attention, I want you in your best shape for your first assignment."

Flora still glared at the woman, unmoving as Saturn brushed the dirt from her jacket. Sell herself as she might, she would kill this woman given the opportunity. She roughly snatched the papers from her hand. What bullshit was this? Nevertheless, Flora was resigned

“What do you want me to do?”

Saturn smiled at her attitude, they were all like this at first. But then the money and the benefits rolled in, the sense of purpose, even camaraderie. Eventually they forget how and why they came to Saturn, and they can never think of any other way of living.

"First we get you fed, you look skin and bones, and then some rest, and some early treatments to get that pep into your step... then, well, a small test of your abilities," Saturn pulled a file from her jacket. "He's called Cain, I don't want you to kill him, just remind him he's not untouchable."

Flora ignored the comments on her appearance and sickliness. She was interested, however, in the file that would become her first assignment. She looked it over with a careful eye. After Pheonix, Flora was loathe to take a job that involved a living person, who would remain alive, but she could ignore that for now. She was good at deciphering documents, given her time as an engineer. Several things stood out. His vest- a potential weak point. His abilities. His behaviors. A picture formed in her mind.

Cain. An unusual choice of name. Flora wasn't religious, but she knew well enough he had fashioned himself after the world's first murderer. Someone who killed even family. Someone cursed.

She also vaguely remembered in the same story, God had taken Cain under his protection, promising divine vengeance on anyone who dared harm him.

Guess she would find out if God still remembered Cain these days.

Back