RP Absent Faith

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Dr. Kallie seemed to understand about the researcher conundrum. Laine appreciated that. It was a difficult enough situation without having to talk about it.

Dr. Kallie did ask for assistance. Laine was pleased that she had read the situation correctly, even if she was not pleased that Dr. Kallie was having an emotional response. This seemed to be a trauma response. Laine understood those better than many other emotional responses, because there were several sections in the ACF handbook dedicated to the subject. Laine had appreciated that, and thought it would have been good if there were several sections in the ACF handbook dedicated to understanding other responses, but this was not the case.

[font color="a0522d"]"Of course, Dr. Kallie. I can take the right side. I have checked all anomalies through ACF-326 and you may progress to ACF-382."[/font] Even numbered anomalies were on the left side of the hallway, odd numbered anomalies were on the right. All sorting was done in ascending numerical order, though there were not representative containment chambers for every number, because many anomalies were housed in other areas or other sites. ACF-327 was on the right hand side, across from ACF-326. Laine waited for Dr. Kallie to step back and made sure she was able to proceed without extensive trauma indicators before stepping up to the door for ACF-327 and keying it open.

There was plenty of space. Laine walked up to the edge of it anyway, and crouched down, staring at the music box. It was easier to make eye contact with things that were not human, especially if they did not have eyes. [font color="a0522d"]"Be nice to Dr. Kallie. I like her."[/font] This was an instruction, not a command. Laine didn't mind talking to anomalies. They were much easier to understand than people, most of the time. Most of them did not talk back, which Laine considered a benefit. [font color="a0522d"]"Anomalous behavior is an explanation, not an excuse. A softer song would be appropriate, if feasible."[/font] Sometimes anomalies were not capable of such things, but sometimes they were. It was entirely possible that this anomaly was not capable of understanding a word that Laine said, but she had found that this was also the case with several ACF personnel.

She stood up again, as if this were all perfectly reasonable, and stepped back out of the room, marking it off as present on her list after re-engaging the door and continuing on down the hallway without further comment.

[div style="background-color:purple;border-top:purple 4px outset;border-left:purple 4px inset;border-right:purple 4px outset;border-bottom:purple 4px inset;"][div style="border-top:purple 4px inset;border-left:purple 4px outset;border-right:purple 4px inset;border-bottom:purple 4px outset;"][div style="background-color:white;color:black;padding:15px;font-family:courier new;"]
She wasn’t in 1989 anymore. That was all Kallie could think for a minute as she stared blankly into the door of ACF-390. While it wasn’t as overwhelming as it had been in the past, the flashback was still trying to surface, to drown her. It was just strong enough that she missed when Laine went into the unit but caught it when she came out. Laine came out. Laine had gone into the room and come out. Kallie felt a wave of some kind of emotion flood through her, and she took a deep breath.

When her voice finally came out, it was noticeably harsh and strangled, like she was talking around a knot in her throat.[font color=purple] “We should hurry and finish this. The longer we take, the longer she will be missing if it’s related to another anomaly.”[/font color]

With that, she moved forward, avoiding any and all eye contact until they finished the hall. She needed the time, to control her breathing, to hold back the intrusive thoughts that were threatening to overtake her still. Only when she felt in control again did she finally turn around and face Laine.[font color=purple] “I must thank you for accommodating me back there. I don’t think… I don’t think I could have looked at it. Not without a more severe reaction. I appreciate it.”[/font color]

[/div][/div][/div]

Back