Event 6th Annual PMPD Benefit Gala

quirbles

on smoke break, bother somebody else
Staff member

"RUBBING ELBOWS"
1900 HOURS - 1900 L ST. NW, WASHINGTON, DC

"Once again, I would like to thank you all for making the time to come to the PMPD Benefit Gala; now, more than ever, it is important to show the world the strength that metahumans demonstrate in their daily lives-- and, by extension, bring into the lives of others."

It was a no-brainer to have Harold Print take point for the PMPD Benefit Gala. Deputy Ross was a stone-faced wetworker who could hardly look disarming to save his life; Director Stone was equally as off-putting, at times, though for different reasons entirely. He had a habit of appearing as if he knew something others didn't, which was often the case in his line of work; he was one of the few who didn't like to play pretend, however, which made him a less optically attractive choice for occasions such as these. The only certain thing about him was the uncertainty.

Print, of course, had been managing optics for much of his life. He was the White House Press Secretary under Torres from 2025 to 2026, and served as Chief of Staff to the First Lady from 2026 to 2028 until his resignation in the wake of the Midwest Riots. He'd endured enough controversies from the Torres Administration in that time to make him bulletproof, and it'd been the obvious reason why he'd been chosen as a successor for the role of Communications Director within the MPAD. He was curt when he needed to be, but otherwise tactful-- and damn good at what he did.

"Your donations tonight will aid in the healthcare of thousands of PMPD-affected individuals across the country; like Joshua Gables, 17, from Pennsylvania." A clicker in the hand changed the projection behind him to that of a fair-skinned, dark-haired boy sitting on a bench-- some sort of professional photo taken for the occasion, most likely. "He's already able to lift his mother's car onto its rear axle-- and he wants to become a volunteer firefighter. Because of you-- all of you-- we have the capacity to anticipate, detect, and help individuals like Joshua. To help them use their abilities to aid society. A new generation of heroes."

Another slide click-- showing dozens of photos, now.

"A reminder that the Stone Foundation Silent Auction will be starting later tonight, at 8:30 PM, in side-room A3. There's some lovely pieces by Quickset, and a few decorative prototypes by Cannonade and Cyclic-- non-functional, of course. All proprietary." He smiled, at that, and got a few chuckles from the crowd.

"Now. Enjoy your evening, and the entertainment, ladies and gentlemen. And, of course, a thank you to all the Jurors who couldn't make it tonight-- because they're out on the streets right now, no doubt, saving lives. Unfortunately, if we got every hero here, it'd be mighty convenient for anyone looking to cause trouble." Another small wave of chuckles, and he raised his glass. "To MIRA-- to the PMPD Crisis Organization-- and, most importantly, to all of you."

The dining hall erupted into applause as Print stepped down from the podium and immediately went to handshakes and side-conversations-- a few photographers taking pictures of the ordeal as people went back to eating, conversation, and other beneficial opportunities to network. The restaurant had been entirely rented out for the evening, with a host of individuals making their appearance: top talent from MIRA, independent vigilantes that were relevant and stable enough to invite, media personalities from organizations within Hollywood, talent agency producers and representatives that'd paid a hefty price to optain passes... it was a stacked deck, to put it lightly, and the food wasn't half-bad. Mostly. Catering was always a mixed bag.

And, to top it all off, nobody'd tried to shoot the place up. Yet. It would seem a likely place for an attack, certainly, but--

-- who, in their right mind, would want to attack a party filled with parametas?

The hotness of the summer in the District had been undercut by an upswell of unexpected rain, the suddenness of its arrival revealing Monsoon's presence to the learned observer - for who could mistake the perpetual pitter patter of droplets on the rooftop for anything but his unwritten signature? Though far from purposeful, he had not stifled the weather, which would require he dedicate perpetual focus to clarity of mind - instead, in the aftermath of the Central Park Incident, he had allowed himself to loosen significantly. And so he had remained loose, outwardly appearing stalwart in the face of the crisis, resolute under fire - boasting an impressive new scar on his chest (nevertheless always hidden by his thick MIRA poncho) - he had found in himself a sort of renewed purpose.

Ever alienated from his fellow agents and associates, all of whom had grimly accepted the Central Park Incident with a sort of somberness, Monsoon found himself oddly invigorated. It had been a high profile affair with minimal loss of life, and while the chain of command had been disrupted throughout the operation, he had demonstrated - to himself, if no one else - that even without ground control, he was more than capable of handling things. The after-action report was dry, but a kind of silent pride had welled up within him - one which animated him tonight, and let him proceed through the Gala with quiet confidence in spite of the raincloud which followed him overhead.

After finishing the first, he had surreptitiously snatched a second drink from the open bar, which he now nursed with silent pleasure. His countenance was as grim as always, and the bulging lenses of his patent aerial goggles hid his eyes from the world, but every so often - perhaps once every quarter hour - a small, wry smile would find its way across his face, a private laugh at various goings-on - a subdued reaction to Harold Print's speech, to which he raised his whiskey before knocking it back.

He might be able to obtain a third - as a habit, he never drank, the danger was too great if his power got out of hand - but he was starting to wonder if he was better with a little alcohol in him, looser. The thundercloud overhead felt easier to move around. He didn't intensify it, but he could if he wanted to - drench everyone that was arriving fashionably late - that'd be funny. And they'd hate him for it, but didn't they anyway?

He was popular in Japan (they called him Kamikaze there) and in the Midwest, for his agricultural work. Here? Not so much. But he didn't pursue appreciation. He cultivated an air of silent competence, relentless professionalism, along with a mildly brooding atmosphere - he was enigmatic behind that mask, like a...vampire. A weather vampire. A cool dude.

Third drink. OK, slow down, pal. This one would last him a while longer. In the back corner, someone in a black suit put a finger up to their ear and whispered something into a wristwatch - were they telling on him? Trying to cut him off? Let them try. He was allowed to drink if he wanted. The weather was doing great.

"Where's Scramjet," he said, to no one but himself, eyes narrowing as he glared at the crowd (that was a good thing about the goggles; he could glare and nobody would know). Then he resumed standing as still as a statue, straight-backed - Monsoon, Weather Report, Deluge, Downpour, Galeforce, Storm Man. He'd liked Storm Man as a kid, for an alias. But MIRA wasn't about -man aliases. Too pulpy, they'd said. Well, maybe he liked some pulp.

Ba-doop. A little weather alert buzzed on his watch, red, insistent. He sighed and dialed the rain back a bit. Just a bit. But he smiled as he did it.

"Monsoon! Glad you could make it."

He'd hear Print's voice before he even saw him; the Director of Communications had a tight-lipped smile as he emerged from the crowd, settling beside the Juror with a black itinerary binder held under his arm. He looked to the drink in the man's hand, then back at the crowd, giving a small chuckle as he waved to a passing gala attendee.

"You want to slow it the fuck down?" Print hissed out through a smile, his outward expression by all accounts chipper-- his gaze not even trained on the Juror to his side. He simply kept looking out at the party, maintaining appearances. His voice was low, directed towards Burke with all the judgement he couldn't stomach. "I could see you knocking back whiskey sours from across the room. Cool it. Last thing we need is you making a Category 3 inside." At that, he looked to Ulysses, expression turning neutral. "There's a journalist poking around by Table 32. Didn't realize he was going to be here. He's probably going to try and corner you to ask about Central Park-- I need you to be a brick wall on that." The glint beyond the scope of his glasses was dead serious. "And the more alcohol you drink, the looser your tongue will be. Are you good?"

Through the crowd, there was a glint of a reflective visor-- tempered glass, the helmet of a mock flight suit. Probably Scramjet. It looked as if he was talking to a few attendees, living it up. As per usual.

He was probably doing his party tricks, too.

Monsoon's eyes leveled on a glossy black helmet far across the room. There he was. Scramjet. Doing that thing with his power again, with his pinkie fingers this time -

"Print," Monsoon acknowledged dryly, eyes still locked on his nemesis across the way. When the bespectacled man told him to slow down, though, his head tilted over at the man at his side. Monsoon glanced at the MPAD Comms Director, at the drink in his hand, and back over at him - the eye movements were all concealed beneath the over-protuberant reflective gogs, but the pause in the dialogue was enough.

"It'll take more than two-and-a-quarter drinks for that. What're you gonna do? Fire me? Take me off the talk show circuit?" he muttered with a small smirk, gesturing slightly with the glass. As the man described the journalist over at 32, he sipped a bit from the glass, though not as deeply.

"I'm good. In fact, I'm better than good. This," he gestured again with the glass, "- is good for me, in a place like this."

With his off hand, he fiddled a bit with the headgear.

"Ahh. That journalist. Want me to lightning him?" he asked, suddenly deadpan, jaw tight, brow knit. He had an air of absolute sincerity. "Seriously."

"It ain't me who's got to reprimand you. You let some shit fly loose, that's the whole world looking at you." Print replied, his tone more resigned to the situation than anything else.

Like wrangling fucking toddlers. Toddlers that could turn you into a corpse at any moment.

As evidenced by Burke's comment. Harold actually seemed fazed, by that-- brow furrowing as he looked over to the Juror. "If we're talking seriously? You're fucking insane for asking me that. And don't ever say something like that in public, unless you want to run the risk of a soundbite leaking to the press," Harold muttered, his expression turning into that neutral, pleasant smile. "Enjoy the party! But, respectfully, get your head out of your ass." The smile widened, a moment.

He seemed as if he wanted to say something else-- until a man approached. Old, liver spots along the head, but dressed in the fineries that screamed decrepit politician. Whether he was currently holding office, or held it, was anyone's guess. Print seemed to know.

"Former Senator Nettleson. Pleasure to see you here, tonight," Harold stated, launching into a conversation to get him out of Monsoon's proximity-- and disappearing into the crowd once more.

The crowd Scramjet was with broke out into another chorus of laughter. Shoulder-pats all around. Along the fringes of the party, a few capes lurked; Miss Liberty, from Philadelphia, along with a few other vigilantes Monsoon didn't know the name of. Quickset and Cannonade were also around; Luminary, too, though his brother seemed absent for the moment.

Rowan always loved these sorts of events. For starters, it mostly let her take her mind off the darker, more deadly parts of her job and instead focus on talking. Even before her ability manifested, she'd loved talking. To herself, her parents, her friends, strangers, it never made a difference. As far as most of these people were concerned, she was an open book, a Cloak with nothing to hide and a pleasant voice, someone who did crisis response and charity events. Like this one.

As part of both her public appearance and general attitude, she was dressed much more like a partygoer than a MIRA agent, a long black silk dress and a nice silver necklace.. It helped to make her relatable and approachable. It was better if people came to her with questions, rather than someone like Ravenir or Monsoon, both of whom seemed to be in attendance as well. She hoped the former was okay in the aftermath of their operation, though he almost certainly was. Monsoon, though, she was unsure about. She'd heard the briefing on the Central Park incident, about what had happened. Frankly a disaster, but he didn't seem to be at fault.

No one had approached her with questions yet, though she figured it was only a matter of time. Right now, she was back near the bar, the opposite end of Monsoon, sipping at a glass of champagne and people-watching. MIRA had arranged for more than just a handful of powerful and influential people to be here, and it was always fun to watch as they tried to navigate each other. Much less deadly than what she was used to, that was for certain.

"Some real Eyes Wide Shut shit, here, huh?"

The potentially-recognizable voice came from Rowan's flank, and moved to her side-- an approaching figure, and one who settled at the bar next to her. A familiar mask, though the bottom-half was removed-- showing an androgynously slim face, dark-skinned with crimson lips. Dots could be connected, now.

Blood Pact.

They were in costume-- stirring a mixed drink in their hands. "I was wondering if I'd catch you here," They stated, slight huskiness in the tone offset by the lilting chuckle that followed. "You MIRA agents are hard to track down. Before you tell me to drown myself in the toilets, I'm here as a friend. Better yet, a work colleague-- enjoying the party, same as you."

Their head tilted, and they took a sip of their drink. A tongue darted along their lips a moment later, dragging along teeth, before they continued.

"How's the girlfriend? She here in one of those masks? I've got something to tell both of you."

There was nothing quite like politicking to get Gilgamesh out of bed in the morning. He was expected to show up at events like these; fashionably late to keep up his playboy image. He looked out the window. Small droplets of rain water beaded down onto it which he could only assume was Monsoons doing. If it wasn't for his polarity field he'd be pissed at getting water over his newly tailored suit. The last one was torched during the Central Park fight.

"Lucius you can't just decide to make moves like that. You don't have enough pull within MIRA to even consider a stunt like this" Angie, his PA, scolded, "Its not just your job on the fucking line."

He turned towards her and met her gaze. She was fuming but, behind that she was scared. He could see it in her eyes. He gently took her hand and gave it a firm squeeze. "Angie, you've been my PA since I first broke out into the Young Heroes scene and every step of the way I've been watching you work. Learning from my observations. I need you to trust me on this. You're like family to me and that means I wouldn't put your career in harms way if I wasn't certain my plan would work." The limo pulled to a stop. "Its the best way we can try to capitalize on the incident."

"If it works. If it doesn't its a god damn career nuke." Her hand gently massaged her temple.

"Then its a good thing that it will." He opened the door and stepped out into the rain, his PA following close behind him.

********​
MIRA did always know how to throw a party. He noticed the regular crowd of high profile cloaks; Cannonade, Luminary, and a few others mingling with ex-senators and sitting officials. Billionaires and reporters dotted the room as well. Monsoon sat at the back getting what any MIRA agent could tell to be a slap on the wrist from Director Print. The drink in his hand was the missing piece of the equation as to why.

Songbird on the other hand was sitting alone near the bar talking with the vigilante Blood Pact. He had yet to have a run in with the Crimson Cape and only knew things from his file. The guy was a real piece of work even if he was effective in the field. Most vigilante's had a hate boner for MIRA agents much the same way stray dogs had to have felt when looking at a wealthy woman's purse riding Pomeranian.

Gil grabbed a drink and moved into the crowd to mingle. He was here, officially, to answer questions. Unofficially he was here to advance his own agenda.

They'd only talked for a few minutes in the aftermath of the operation, but that voice was likely one she would remember for a long time. Rowan turned to face Blood Pact, a wry smile across her lips as she lowered the glass, held loosely in her hand. "Not quite how I would describe it, but I guess that's just a difference in perspective," she said, only letting the slightest amount of sarcasm through.

The following day after their first chance meeting, Rowan had spent a considerable amount of time ranting about her annoyance with the vigilante to Molt, after she had packed away the mental image of the man that had been left by his compatriots. Their tone drove her insane, smug with a genuine mix of honesty.

"You're lucky I believe you. Neither one of us would have been dumb enough to start something here, anyways." She took a sip, at that, turning her gaze back to the rest of the party. Gilgamesh had just arrived, it seemed. She was shocked to see him there, after what had happened in Central Park. "If you mean Molt, I don't know. I asked her to tag along, but it's not her type of venue. If you care to share, I can pass it along."

"It was a joke," Monsoon muttered under his breath, spitefully taking another sip from his drink as the man walked away from him.

There were others in attendance that he recognized - Songbird was talking with someone vigilante-coded near the bar. She had worn a slim dress and was sipping champagne. They hadn't spoken too many times, but they had been on Flanagan! together, an experience he'd thoroughly detested (though it wasn't her fault). In truth, he'd let himself flounder a little bit, so that they'd stop booking him for Cloak ops like that. Never did he feel more useless than when he was smiling for a camera, making lame jokes. Now, Central Park - that was something. And the agricultural work - in terms of lives saved, he had to be at the top. Had to be.

Nothing to be bitter about. He was just doing his job. He was part of a team. An integral part - but a part nevertheless.

What would he be like, without the Joint MIRA-NASA division? Without Stone, and Print, and all this infrastructure? Silently, he seethed to himself, chafing against the pressures of the 6th Annual Gala - of everything. If he were born 500 years ago, he'd be a God. He'd be worshipped for his absolute command over nature. Now...he was a glorified office worker. More efficient, less harmful to others - he wasn't just summoning rain on a whim, but precisely tuning meteorological phenomena. A nudge here, a push there - all in the service of the United States of America. Of something larger than himself.

But before? What would that have been like - before all this? Just him and the open sky, free to do as he pleased. God save the nonbelievers.

"Scramjet, you jerk," he murmured, but stayed put. That journalist would be a problem eventually too. Maybe Print was onto something with taking it easy. (He took another drink).

"That'd be something," Blood Pact replied, suppressing a snicker. "Wonder what cover-up they'd pull for this shit. Maybe hijack the feed and put those thirsty-ass Gilgamesh fancams on, make him pair up with another fashion sweatshop. That white boy does numbers," They took a sip of their drink, at that. "Even if he has the brains of a fuckin' rock."

It was a playful cynicism that oozed from their voice-- an ambiguity to the truth in their words, and whether or not they actually fully believed in what they were saying. Maybe it was just bitterness from being passed over to get put on a Premiere Team. "You know, every time I go to one of these things, they keep saying they'll keep me in consideration for recruitment. But we both know blood don't sell. Not my kind, at least."

They looked to Rowan, at that. "Eh, I'm rambling. I really came to talk to you about Hernandez... and the shit he was peddling. Word on the street? Those rogue mutts in Central Park were hyped up on doses of that red shit. Somebody leaked something to the press, 'cause reports are talking about them being institutionalized. Escapees." Another sip of their drink, their lips giving a soft pucker as they swallowed. "Ain't a good look, MIRA beating on the disabled, but... the fuck do I know. I'm a vig." They gave a playful shrug. "Somebody doped them up, though. And I bet they got their shit from Ciccetti."

"Gilgamesh was at Central Park, boots on the ground, unlike Monsoon. Him being here is actually probably bad for himself, but everyone got an open invitation, basically. There aren't too many of us that have public facing manifestations, after all," Rowan said with a shrug, glancing back to the vigilante. It was true that he was popular, but... if the catastrophes she'd been a part of the past few weeks were so publicly assigned to her, she'd probably be seeing the same issues, facing the same questions. Being a flex agent had it's perks.

At the mention of recruitment, she raised an eyebrow. She was feeling relaxed, having had a bit of a drink and the time needed to pack away everything that had happened lately, so as a half joke, with only the smallest amount of venom in her tone, she responded. "Is it the blood, or your attitude?" she followed it with a smile, before shaking her head. "But, seriously. If it's something you want, there are worse manifestations. Uglier, if you want to use that word. Odds are, they like the connections you have as a vigilante, though. You have a level of mobility that most of us don't have."

Then, the real reason they'd approached. Of course it was about Hernandez. She'd gotten an earful about both that and Ciccetti, and the smile fell into an almost-frown, an expression she'd had to practice to keep from outright signaling to the world that something was wrong. Rowan took another sip, nodding as Blood Pact spoke. "Mm. If that was the same stuff we," the way she said it was clearly meant to exclude them, "were after, then that means they were dangerous regardless." The glass moved to her lips again, and she dropped to a mumble, to ensure only Blood Pact to hear. "Could've been handled with more tact, though. Guessing no word on where Ciccetti is, then? I figure you'd be out there stalking the streets right now, if you knew."

"Yeah, silver lining. If I go rogue, all they need to do is get someone like you to stage a suicide. Or just kill me. Or lock me up, and throw away the key," Blood Pact replied, giving a pointed look to the Flex operator that would be able to be felt behind their mask. "Difference between you and me? I do illegal shit, I get the chair. You? You get a fucking promotion."

They took another sip of their drink. "Which is why I need you. And that skinwalker of yours. Plus anyone else you might need for the job," Their tone was grim, even if they held a glossy-lipped smile on their face. "Because he is locked up fucking tighter than Lady Lib's pussy, I know that for a fact. He skipped out on Atlantic City-- went south. He's at a safehouse at Bethany Beach, in Delaware."

Another sip. Blood Pact looked to Songbird, for a moment, and then glanced back to the crowd.

"Now, I would've gone in there myself to split his head open after getting everything I needed from him. The moment I figured out where he was. But he's got detail with him-- some fuckin' favor from some family or another." They stated, swirling the rest of their glass-- and then downing it. "I'm not bulletproof. I have no doubt MIRA can storm the compound, do whatever the fuck it is that you do, but... discretion would be in both of our interests. Ciccetti runs, I don't think we'll ever see him again. Last fuck-up, he thought you were on some vig shit, through and through. But if he finds out MIRA's after him..." They chuckled. "I heard the rumors about Maryland. Don't need any more bad press, right?"

They set their drink on the counter behind them, and then rummaged into their back pocket a moment-- placing a folded-up bit of paper and sliding it over to Rowan. Two fingers tapped it twice. "Don't need an answer now. Call this burner when you've made the choice to get shit done. Or do my job for me; whatever works. Consider this a professional courtesy."

Blood Pact leaned in a bit, at that.

"Y'all just remember that bullets travel faster than sound, bitch."

Advice? Or a threat? Who knew, with them. They stepped away from the counter with a soft smile, wading into the crowd.

She was not herself.

Why the fuck would she be, at a place like this? It wasn't like they'd ever let her out like this without a face, without not being herself. She didn't really give a fuck, though. She didn't wanna be seen here. She wouldn't be caught fucking dead here.

Rowan, though, was way better at this shit. She was dolled up, but it looked - right - on her, and she seemed comfortable in a dress Hannah wouldn't be caught dead in. It was sexy. It was confident. She couldn't help but feel a bit envious. She was better existing in the outskirts, though. That was her place. Currently, she was a slightly overweight middle-aged security guard named Jim. Nobody would look at Jim. Nobody would stare at Jim.

As Blood Pact vanished into the crowd, "Jim" approached Rowan, staring in the direction they'd left in with a disapproving glare.

"That asshole bothering you?" she grumbled, folding her arms. "Can throw them out. Bet nobody'd give a shit."

Han Dong-Hwan, alias Thermodynamic, was wearing a white shirt and grey vest with matching slacks, and had traded his signature hardened Cloak mask for a regular surgical one. Perhaps he was a little dressed-down for such a high-profile event, but he wasn't here to stand out. He had arrived late to the gala thanks to unexpected weather, and could hear the ending lines of an opening speech as he came in from the rain. It was quite unbecoming of him, and he made a mental note to stay prepared for more mundane situations.

Stowing his umbrella at the door, Hwan scanned the room for anyone he recognized. Since his transfer, he'd been told to familiarize himself with local agents and staff, as well as other people of interest, so he was simply here to socialize and network. Somewhat annoying, but it was important to get a better handle on who's who when he'd likely be working with them in the future. While he still couldn't put a lot of names to faces, he did recognize the three agents who'd showed up on that talk show a while back. The show was purely marketing, to be sure, but at least it helped him recognize Agents Songbird, Gilgamesh and Monsoon of the North-Atlantic division, only one of which didn't look particularly busy. Making his way over to the open bar, Hwan approached and gave a polite nod to Monsoon, who was nursing a drink. He offered a gloved handshake as a neutral gesture.

"Good evening. Monsoon, if I am correct?"

Blood Pact was quick to withdraw, after the exposition. She didn't like the skinwalker comparison for Hannah, but there were more important things to be discussed, so she held her tongue for that. Instead, she focused in on what came immediately after- a second chance at Ciccetti, in Delaware. The vigilante likely could see her eyes light up momentarily, taking another sip before finally setting her glass down, deciding this was too important to be drinking over.

Rowan took the slip, not even bothering to read it, tucking it in her palm to keep it out of sight. It was clear Blood Pact wanted to do this below board, but that wasn't an easy thing to pull off. Some of them- namely, herself and Hannah, the exact two they asked for- were kept very close track of, on account of how their manifestations functioned. MIRA didn't want them going rogue, after all. There wasn't enough time to address them before they walked off, so Rowan watched instead, puzzling over what she should do, when what seemed to be a security guard approached.

It was her fault that Hannah even decided to come. Rowan had asked, partly to get Hannah out of her room, and partly to try to get her to dress up for once. It didn't work, unfortunately, but she was glad to have her here regardless. "No, it's fine. Gave me this," she said, taking the slip of paper and tucking it into one of "Jim's" pockets. "And they also told me something I think a friend of mine would like to hear about." She retrieved her glass from the counter again, dropping to a whisper as she leaned towards Hannah slightly. "They found Ciccetti, and want our help. Whoever else we might want along, also. I can share the rest of what I know after, might try to follow them and make sure there's nothing we're missing."

Hannah's scowl deepened.

"I don't like it. They're not -" Like us. One of us. Trustworthy. A friend. There were a million different things she could say. "- being straight with it all. I don't fuck with all the coy, playful shit. They wanna help, they help, drop the fucking act. Stop trying to - sweeten the pot, and act all friendly, and just fucking tell us what they know and fuck off."

She grabbed a glass from one of the passing platters and downed it in a single go, wiping at her mouth with the back of her sleeve.

"Sides. They were oggling you. Bet I can guess why they wanna help."

She huffed.

"They say if MIRA knows, yet? They're gonna have to know. We're gonna have to tell 'em, if we're gonna do this."

Rowan responded with a shake of the head. "No. Odds are they don't. I'd also bet that they don't want MIRA to know, but..." She shook her head again, then shrugged her shoulders. "If they want us in, they'll find out regardless. That's why I'm going to go try to find them and have a little chat, where we don't have all these eyes on us," she said, finally leaning away. With a final sip, and her glass finally emptied, Rowan set it back on the counter and smiled at Jim in an attempt to put the person within at ease.

"Oh, please. Didn't they seem a little too professional for that? And even if they were, can you really blame them?" she asked with a wink, her voice playful. She began to walk away from the counter, in the direction they'd seen Blood Pact head off in. "If you're coming, just- don't be too obvious, okay? They did want to see both of us, but no one else needs to know what we're doing yet, yeah?" And then, she was off.

She really didn't want to talk with that asshole. Really, really didn't.

Didn't want Rowan to talk to them alone, either.

"Fine. My - face is slipping, anyway," she grumbled, covering her face as Rowan walked away. "Need to reup it, or just - take it off, I guess. Not like anyone here gives a shit."

Hannah continued to stare over her hand as Rowan left, then turned to leave, herself, finding some dark corner of the building to make herself presentable again. Always a fucking chore. Always a hassle. This was why she didn't go to these things.

Early on in his MIRA career, Monsoon had done shots with Cowboy after a press event. Cowboy was one of the coolest Cloaks in the world. His manifestation was a well-kept secret, and some doubted he even actually had one. Not even five shots had gotten him to divulge his hidden ability. What was glaringly obvious was that Cowboy was an expert shot with either one of his two revolvers. He'd twirl them and do little tricks, and he had plenty of stories about going up against supervillains. Monsoon had never seen him in action personally, but he'd watched all his tapes, and they were extremely impressive. All that skill couldn't save him when he went up against Yellowjacket. Watching that video still gave Monsoon chills - it was part of the MIRA CONSPEC training now, to show you exactly what not to do.

He'd heard there was going to be a new Cowboy, but this time, it'd be a girl - he wondered if they'd change the name, or if she'd also be called Cowboy. He should ask Print.

Before he could hunt down his good buddy Harry, Monsoon was intercepted by a man in a white button-up and gray vest with matching slacks. He was of Asian descent and wore a surgical mask over his face. When he reached out for a handshake, Monsoon took it, executing the perfunctory greeting gesture with all the grace of a robot trying not to spill its drink.

"Yeah.
Er...do I know you?" he asked slowly, his mask betraying no change in expression around his eyes, protruberant goggles concealing the upper half of his face; the lower half of his square-shaped jaw merely widened a little, lips pulled tight. It wasn't like Monsoon was wearing a nametag, but he could hardly be mistaken for anyone else. This guy could be anyone. A journalist, maybe. A fucking journalist. Or maybe a Chinese spy, or something. Monsoon had to act fast, so he finished his drink and ordered another.

Back