Open Hypostasis

This request is currently open and accepting users.

UmbraSight

Staff member
In this end there is no ending, and in this ending there is no rest. The world is as it was, the world shall never be as it was and shall never be again. The sun will burn, the sun never has burned. The child shall starve for tomorrow he shall feast. The mother shall die with her shadow at her feet, for yesterday was the same as the one to be, so she shall only know the end that never arrives.

The City in its wakefulness sleeps, for in the impossible twist of these streets the practice of living continues. Office workers march, suits and clipped skirts, hollow eyes and same faced, into buildings swallowed by the clouds, mining profits and grinding piece by piece until their flesh is raw and weeping and they awaken the next morning under still crisp sheets. Others sit chatting in the cafes, where food comes and is replaced by coffee and is replaced by sweets and is replaced by yesterday’s food still half eaten — or perhaps those are the marks of tomorrow's bite — as you enjoy a conversation that is always ending. Children play in the park as their parents watch, but there is always one more there than you remember, isn’t there? The trees always a little taller, the slide a little longer. The children play in the park as their grandparents watch but there is always —

Here, we remember and cling to that which never existed and will never be again. The City will never be as we wish it, though it will remind us in its shifting ways of what almost was. The world can never be as it was for the world never was as it was, and one cannot return to a memory. That which broke the world was itself shattered in its remaking, for the fear of the sword which hangs by a wire can only last until the blade falls and threat makes the transition to certainty.

We mustn’t forget, it is more than the city that is changed. Past the hill where the old fort stands is where land turns sour. It will start small at first, a lightness to your step, a lack of traction upon rough ground, or it might even be a tree that repeats itself while those around have the decency to take a new shape. As one trudges on, one might find as they turn to the left all that greets them is the scenery to their right, and should they go right, there shall be the same. Perhaps you will meet a storm there, one of sand and grit whistling between the trees that leaves in the completion of its fury not a single grain behind.

There is delirium in its heart, in lands so forgotten that they are only remembered within the memory of the land itself. Birds shall sing from empty branches, gravity shall forget its own hold, and when you dare close your eyes, it will find new wonders to greet you with when they next open.

We do not go past the old fort upon the hill, for the City is stable. Though,it is changing. This is nothing new, of course, but it isn’t memories of what was that guide its shape. There is someone who benefits, that is what the workers of the endless offices believe, and they know what it means to change for another’s benefit. The why or how are hard to say, for it never seemed as if there was direction to the City’s shifting before. What changed the world before is gone, that is a fact, but what changes the City now has a plan, and I don’t think we wish to see the end of it.

—~—~—~—~—

It’s touched you, hasn’t it? The City’s change. A home lost, perhaps, a routine broken, a death changed, it’s something I can tell. This isn’t new to the City, its growth and shifting define us, but how quickly, how directed the changes are speak to something more. Someone has found a way to touch the City’s heart, and they have taken from me something I was not willing to give. I do not know if the city can be made right again, for it never was in the first place, but there can only be more loss should this continue.

For now, there is an office building that wasn’t there yesterday growing from a mall. There will be the first place we check.

[CS]
Name:
Do you remember the one given to you?

There was a time when time flowed correctly

Role:
What have you given by the City, what has it taken from you?

Biography:
What life have you had within the City? What memory of the world that will never be do you hold close?

Skill:
What about yourself are you most proud?

Loss:
What has changed, what has been taken?

[CS]
Name:

Louise Mia Auclair
Or was it Mia Louise?

It’s not like I haven’t had my twenty-ninth birthday, I’ve had it three times now but it’s twenty-eight, it has to be twenty-eight because tomorrow I’ll be twenty-nine

Role:
I write lines, you know? For products, about products and places, all the different places that one could travel to. The city has so much to see, so much to be seen by, and the attraction of tomorrow could be today’s rare find. And… there’s a train too, you know? It heads west and I don’t know where it goes but it’s nice to write about. I’v always enjoyed writing about what I think something is, but my editor complains that I allow flights of fancy to color my writing too much.

Biography:
I work in the Commercial Center on the Eastern End, on the twentieth floor which looks down upon the Old Wards and the White Water Canal, though I live in the southern part of the city where the streets grow long and quiet save for the trundling trolly cars which always serve to take one to the heart of the City. I’ve never been past the edge of the City, though I’ve seen the places where buildings on its edges never fully find their shape and poke like rotten trees and carved rock through the earth of forgotten grounds, an in the distant horizon you can see smoke from the Train heading west.

It is my birthday soon, or it was my birthday soon, but it never does seem to arrive no matter the date. Though, I can still remember the smell of the cake, fleshly baked and waiting to cool before frosting could be applied.

Skill:
I’ve got quite a knack for getting into places I shouldn’t, it’s really amazing how far you can get with an ID, a smile, and a bit of confidence. It’s helpful too, in the times that the City shifts and the roads become glutted with cars and people to find a new way to understand the City’s logic for myself.

Loss:
There was a park, an artist’s retreat of sorts. I remember it from before, vaguely, and I remember what the City made of it. A place where art gathered, graffiti bleeding into paintings and those into the shelves for books. Seemingly endless books of strange origin and ownership. It was beautiful.

Now it is an office building, growing from where it had been sprayed on the wall, with a name bleeding ink.

[CS]
Name:
I have a lot of them. None of them are nice. I guess... there was someone who used to call me Audrey. You can call me that.

I was twenty once. I probably still am, somewhere. People lose their fire, as they get older. I've still got mine.

Role:
The City? I helped make it. Tags on the walls. Molotovs in the windows. Angry voices and tear gas canisters rolling down the streets, catching in the potholes. That was before. We were angry. Things were bad, and they needed to change. We made change. We made the City. You never knew what was going to happen, but neither did anyone else. Those were the good days.

Biography:
I do odd jobs. Whatever needs to be done. Payment under the table, often bartered. I never liked being tracked. If you have a message you want to get out, I can probably do that. I'll put it up somewhere, letters taller than me, crossing under the old railroad tracks, all the words in a train that might go further than an engine ever could. We're the engine, you know. We drive the change.

Except sometimes... it feels like there's another engine out there. Strong. Stronger, maybe. I don't know where it's going.

Skill:
I'm invisible. No ID, no trace. I put up tags, but I never get tagged. I go where I want, places that never were or wouldn't have been, except then I was there and they always had been. I can slip away at the first notes of the Siren song. Gone before there's a rest.

Loss:
The future. It should have been ours. Now it's just an endless series of unwanted presents.

Back